Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Recommendation needed for waterproof camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig

Established Member
I am wanting to buy a compact waterproof camera for an upcoming trip to Iguazu Falls.

Have been looking at Panasonic FT25, Fuijifilm models and an Olympus TG-630. My other camera is a Panasonic Lumix, so I am leaning towards the Panasonic.

I welcome any recommendations or experiences.

OzEire

Established Member
I have treated my Olympus micro 'tough' to some really hard wear over several years, its still going strong.

jetlagger

Established Member
I liked my Olympus till I upgraded it to a Nikon.
IMO the Olympus was much better.
Durable & excellent picture quality as a compact.

Happy Trails

Established Member
We've been using TG2s at work for the past year.
They've had a hard life but have proven very rugged and reliable, with decent optics too.
Maybe a bit heavy though.

zig

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone, looks like a strong trend towards Olympus as a brand. I'll have a look at the TG2 as suggested by kpc and Happy Trails, although I am looking for something light.
maninblack, were there any specific problems with the Panasonic?

Cynicor

Established Member
The Olympus were first in this area really, and they started out really poor with lots of production issues. You may get more experiences over on whirlpool because the panasonics were better last time I looked, but that was 2-3 years ago.

I've had 2 of the Olympus toughs break, and used the Panasonic no issues but only for a short while. I'm surprised experience here is so one sided.

k_sheep

Established Member
The Olympus were first in this area really, and they started out really poor with lots of production issues. You may get more experiences over on whirlpool because the panasonics were better last time I looked, but that was 2-3 years ago.

I've had 2 of the Olympus toughs break, and used the Panasonic no issues but only for a short while. I'm surprised experience here is so one sided.
I have near identical experience - have been through 2 Olympus toughs (1030 then 6010), whereas after getting my Lumix at least 3 years ago now, it's still going strong. And that includes taking it snorkelling for hours (I think the first Olympus died because of condensation in the electronics, because it got quite hot) and diving with it to *generally* maximum 12m.

In terms of above water usage - I find the flash on the Lumix not so great, but picture quality and sharpness better than the Olympus. In under water, there's no comparison, the lumix is streets ahead.

*shrug*. Make sure you also check what card they use - the XD on the olympus (if they still do that) is super annoying and more expensive.

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carsonjohn404