Recommend American Express to your friends and reap the rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see whether the friend still gets the normal sign-on bonus. ie Platinum Edge is currently 25k sign-on bonus, but the referral award is only 20k. If it's in lieu of the normal sign-on bonus essentially I'd be short-changing my friend of 5k points so I could get 10k....sounds like a fair deal in the end....

I would need to think very carefully before I recommended Amex to any friends/family ......

Ouch that $900 annual fee must be hurting then if you're unhappy with them ;)

If only I hadn't already gotten Platinum charge cards for my family!
You get up to 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards points*
Your friend gets up to 80,000 bonus Membership Rewards points*

Looking through the T&Cs

"If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers."

Assuming that your friend maintains their current card, then the offer should still apply?

I've been meaning to move my parents from a CC where they earn FlyBuys to a new one, so the time is nigh :cool:

Ouch that $900 annual fee must be hurting then if you're unhappy with them ;)

Not so much the fee but the (in my opinion after some lacklustre dealings) indifferent service and offerings for Plat card holders.

For the past two years I have been given a reduced fee so that has made things a little better.

The thing that gets on my goat the most as a long standing Amex card member (since 199) is the 80k bonus points for new cardholders they gave out recently.

They used to have some recognition deals for card members after xx amount of years as members, not sure what happened with that, maybe US cardholders still get something like this, must check it out.

Not so much the fee but the (in my opinion after some lacklustre dealings) indifferent service and offerings for Plat card holders.

For the past two years I have been given a reduced fee so that has made things a little better.

The thing that gets on my goat the most as a long standing Amex card member (since 199) is the 80k bonus points for new cardholders they gave out recently.

They used to have some recognition deals for card members after xx amount of years as members, not sure what happened with that, maybe US cardholders still get something like this, must check it out.

To get reduction two consecutive years is impressive. 50% off? I got that last year but not this renewal.
Ive been a member since 1989. What were the recognition deals you refer to?

is that link still valid?

I thought I received it in an email (roughly 2 mins before I posted this thread) - however can't find the email now. Perhaps it was from a banner on the Amex (AU) site...

...EDIT:

Here's the T&C's: *Offer expires 31 December 2012*
Terms and Conditions

This offer is only available to friends, family and colleagues with whom you have an existing relationship and who want to receive this type of message. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know.

*When you recommend The Platinum Charge Card to a friend, you may receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply using the link provided and their Card is approved.Your friend will receive up to 80,000 Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 within the first two months of Cardmembership. If your friend has already applied for The Platinum Charge Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points. If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made. Offer expires 31 December 2012. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program.

*When you recommend The Platinum Reserve Credit Card to a friend, you may receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply using the link provided and their Card is approved. Your friend will receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 within the first two months of Cardmembership. If your friend has already applied for The Platinum Reserve Credit Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points. If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made. Offer expires 31 December 2012. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program.

*When you recommend The Platinum Edge Credit Card to a friend, you may receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply using the link provided and their Card is approved. Your friend will receive up to 20,000 Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 within the first two months of Cardmembership. If your friend has already applied for The Platinum Edge Credit Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points. If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made. Offer expires 31 December 2012. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program.

*When you recommend The Gold Charge Card to a friend, you may receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply using the link provided and their Card is approved. Your friend will receive up to 20,000 Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 within the first two months of Cardmembership. If your friend has already applied for The Gold Charge Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points. If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made. Offer expires 31 December 2012. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program.

*When you recommend The American Express Card to a friend, you may receive up to 40,000 Membership Rewards points if they choose to apply using the link provided and their Card is approved. Your friend will receive up to 7,500 Membership Rewards points when they spend $500 within the first two months of Cardmembership. If your friend has already applied for The American Express Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points. If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the Bonus Points to be awarded once approval is made. Offer expires 31 December 2012. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Program.

Bonus Points will be applied to your account once your friend’s application has been approved by American Express. Please be aware that due to Privacy Restrictions, American Express are not at liberty to discuss an individual's application.

Please only send recommendations to friends or family. The people you refer may ask you to discontinue sending future offers to them, in this case please do not send further communications.

American Express credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Fees and charges apply. All information is correct as at 01 April 2011 and is subject to change. This offer is only available to those who reside in Australia. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited.

1. There is typically no charge for Rewards Concierge, although you are responsible for any purchases and/or shipping charges you authorise. Fees may apply for meetings and event planning.

2. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available here. To transfer Membership Rewards points into an airline rewards or frequent guest partner program you must be enrolled in Membership Rewards Ascent Premium and be a member of the partner program. Membership of the partner program is the Card members' responsibility and is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the applicable program. A joining fee may apply. Award seats are not available on all routes. Please check availability with the partner prior to transferring your points. Charges/levies/taxes may apply. The redemption of points will be administered solely by American Express. A minimum redemption amount applies. American Express holds no responsibility for flight or accommodation availability, which may be limited. This is at the sole discretion of the airline and hotel partners.

American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085). Australian Credit Licence No. 291313. ®Registered Trademark of American Express Company

Interesting... I have been thinking of getting my girlfriend a supplementary card but maybe this is the safer option :p

"If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the extra Qantas Frequent Flyer points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. "

Does this mean that if your friend has an existing AMEX, and they take the new recommended card as their second AMEX, then no bonus points are awarded for both?

"If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the extra Qantas Frequent Flyer points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers. "

Does this mean that if your friend has an existing AMEX, and they take the new recommended card as their second AMEX, then no bonus points are awarded for both?

So have been looking at replacing my AMEX for a while for myself and wife (Have the Westpac Krysflyer card). Probably looking at Edge for me and Reserve for my wife since she can better use the international flight than me, we both have NZ relations but hers are in Queenstown where there are more DJ flights whereas mine are in Wellington where a) there are fewer DJ flights at the right time and b) I can seem to pick up super cheap Air NZ flights for <$300 pretty regularly anyway.

So options are
a) I get Edge _25K
Recommend Plat Reserve 10K
Wife gets Plat Reserve 40 K

75K all up plus 1 each of domestic/International flights for about $550

b) Wife gets Plat Reserve 35K
Recommends Edge 20K
I get Edge 20K

75K all up plus 1 each of domestic/International flights for about $550

c) I get Reserve 35K
Recommend Plat Reserve 20K
Wife gets Plat Reserve 40 K

95K all up plus 2 International flights for about $790

Choices, choices

If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers.

I wonder if the "already" includes if they have a Supplementary Card?

I think I remember reading a while back that Cardmembers were only primary cardholders, and not supp cardholders.

If your friend already has an American Express Card, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points as this offer is not valid for upgrading Cardmembers.

I wonder if the "already" includes if they have a Supplementary Card?

I think I remember reading a while back that Cardmembers were only primary cardholders, and not supp cardholders.

I'll try find this issue of supplementary cardholder clarified tomorrow.

Just got a reminder email from them:

Dear Lindsay Wilson,

Here's an easy way to achieve your Membership Rewards[SUP]1[/SUP] goals faster - simply refer your friends for your Card using the link below and we'll give you up to 20,000 Bonus Points for each referral that is approved[SUP]2[/SUP]. Five approved friends means you could get up to 100,000 Bonus Points[SUP]3[/SUP]!

Your friends get something extra too

As a special welcome, each successful applicant[SUP]2[/SUP] will receive up to 40,000 Bonus Points[SUP]2[/SUP] to get the ball rolling (or the suitcase packing … or the plane flying).

More friends = more points
You can refer friends and family using our safe and secure registration page. And the more friends who are approved, the more points you can shower yourself with[SUP]3[/SUP].

That's not all
As soon as you have an approved friend, you automatically go into our draw to win an iPad[SUP]4[/SUP]. There are three draws - December, January and February - with three iPads to win each month[SUP]4[/SUP]. Don't leave it too long. The sooner you act, the more chance you have of winning.

Instead of hearing about the many benefits and rewards you currently enjoy as an American Express Cardmember, now is the ideal time to let your friends experience them firsthand.

To start earning Bonus Points, refer your friends today by visiting our registration page.

Yours sincerely,

AU_ICSS_PlatinumReserveCreditCard_MGM_04_11302011_signature.gif

Rob Hennin
Vice President of Marketing

but is that a new offer (changed from the original above) - time to research.

You can also get double points! For example, if a friend recommends me the platinum edge, I will get the referral bonus (20k) plus the current (20k) promotion - 40k of points. It works the same for the platinum charge card, 80k for referral plus 75k for current promotion – 155k of points...

Amex said they would honour both points :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back