Q's RE SPECIFICS OF FREE FLIGHT ON AMEX ULTIMATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

geffa18

I was just flying melbourne to sydney today when i was stopped by the amex seller and he tried to sell me the ultimate amex card- current promotion is 40000 bonus points and well as free return flight. i have a question which i forgot to ask him....

does the free flight workout calendar year or are you only able to utilise this offer after each time you pay the annual fee. Reason i ask im tempted to sign up for the huge points offer, then use the free flight in dec this year melb-syd return, then again in march next year do melb-syd return and then before my next big $395 annual fee payment cancel the card.

can anyone help?

I don't have the t&c's handy but am pretty sure that it is per membership year.

I have the platinum credit card which also gives me a free Qantas domestic flight. It is per MEMBERSHIP year, not calendar year for me.

The free flights can only be booked/taken AFTER your first anniversary. Which means you take up the card, pay the annual fee, and only AFTER you reach your first anniversary can you take the free flights. It works to prevent people from taking up the card and then the free flight, then cancel the card i suppose. Clever for them, too bad for us.

benhadi said:
The free flights can only be booked/taken AFTER your first anniversary. Which means you take up the card, pay the annual fee, and only AFTER you reach your first anniversary can you take the free flights. It works to prevent people from taking up the card and then the free flight, then cancel the card i suppose. Clever for them, too bad for us.

Are you sure about this?

I think you pay your membership fee in the first month, and that entitles you to a free flight during your first membership year. At your first anniversary, you pay another annual fee, then get another free flight.

I have just downloaded the PDS for the Ultimate card free flight:

4. Eligibility:
(i) You are entitled to one Flight in economy class per year of Card
membership after your first spend with Qantas1 in Australia on
Qantas services in that year. A year is defined as the period starting
on the date on which the applicable Card Account is opened by
American Express (anniversary date) and expiring on the day before
the anniversary date each year thereafter. Your Flight must be
booked before the end of the year in which the Basic Cardmember
became entitled to that Flight. Flight benefits cannot be carried
forward to any subsequent year.

(ii) To qualify for a Flight, you must have paid the minimum amount
on your first and most recent Card statements by the due date and
have maintained your Card Account with American Express in
good standing.
So:
  • you can book the flight any time in your first membership year provided you have paid the minimum amount on both the first and most recent statements
  • flights cannot be carried over into subsequent years.

Could someone please clarify if the actual flight needs to be taken in the membership year also?

In the terms listed above it implied that you need to book it in your membership year.

So if hypothetically my membership year expired on 30th September 2007(and I had bought on Qantas as required) could I make a booking before 30th September for a flight in say December 2007?

Hope that makes sense!

tinky said:
Could someone please clarify if the actual flight needs to be taken in the membership year also?

In the terms listed above it implied that you need to book it in your membership year.

So if hypothetically my membership year expired on 30th September 2007(and I had bought on Qantas as required) could I make a booking before 30th September for a flight in say December 2007?

Hope that makes sense!

It can be taken anytime - just the booking needs to be made in the membership year.

oz_mark said:
It can be taken anytime - just the booking needs to be made in the membership year.

.... and if you ask nicely they will extend the booking time a few weeks :!:

I've just done so which now gives me the option of booking last years flight and this years flight at the same time. :D

straitman said:
.... and if you ask nicely they will extend the booking time a few weeks :!:

I've just done so which now gives me the option of booking last years flight and this years flight at the same time. :D

They do seem to exercise a degree of flexibility in the application of the rules. As long as people don't avuse this, the hopefully they will continue to do so.

Thanks everyone.

I just realised I phrased my question incorrectly before. My calendar year is December - December. I have already booked one flight this calendar year which will be taken this year. Can I book next years free flight now or do I have to wait till after December till i'm in my next calendar year?

tinky said:
Thanks everyone.

I just realised I phrased my question incorrectly before. My calendar year is December - December. I have already booked one flight this calendar year which will be taken this year. Can I book next years free flight now or do I have to wait till after December till i'm in my next calendar year?

My understanding is that you must wait for your anniversary date. :evil:

Seems reasonable that this is the case. They would want to be sure they were getting your annual fee before stumping up for an airfare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back