QF's COVID-19 minimal network schedule | Page 4 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

QF's COVID-19 minimal network schedule

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I’m returning home to NTL from BNE tomorrow morning and was worried about capacity in the lounge (0815 departure).

Turns out nothing to worry about. Not many flights going.

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
IMHO i think there is more pain in flight schedules...
I am endeavouring most days to keep the QF/JQ/VA delays/cancellations threads updated.

You are right. As of last night, JQd for instance had cancelled 11 of its 16 flights from Sydney Airport on Sunday 2 August 2020.

The number of flights operating today from MEL is minimal, not even double figures for domestic across all carriers.

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
At 1300 hours on Wednesday 5 August, the NSW Premier announced that from Friday 7 morning, any Victorians arriving in NSW would be treated like international arrivals and be made to stay in a hotel, quarantining, for 14 days at their own expense.

Returning NSW residents will only be allowed to do so through Sydney Airport, not by driving. (Exception: border residents).

As if it wasn't small enough already, this will further reduce demand for BNE-SYD and MEL-SYD flights.

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
And now QLD has once again closed the border to all of NSW and ACT.

Well, that's the end of flying again.

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
And now QLD has once again closed the border to all of NSW and ACT.

Well, that's the end of flying again.
Please continue discussion on border closures in the appropriate thread:

Some subsequent posts have been moved to that thread.

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
The ban on international (passenger-carrying) flights inbound to MEL is to continue until 24 October after a decision of National Cabinet.

That more or less coincides with the start of the southern hemisphere's summer timetables.

NSun

Qantas
Platinum
I've been looking at a long weekend getaway for the Labour Day long weekend in early October to either Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour. Taking a rough look through QF's flight options seems much of September is the same bare bones schedule, at least on regional NSW routes, but flights will be increased in October, at least during the school holidays.

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
Unless any of us have been on a desert island without mobile reception, we know schedules are way, way down on 'normal.'

Saturday 21 August 2020 illustrates this hugely, with QFd operating just one domestic flight ex MEL, QF430 at 0930 hours mid morning up to SYD.

JQd beats it with two (JQ705 at 0820 hours down to HBA, and JQ510 to SYD at 1000).

VAd again has no flights ex MEL on this Saturday, and nor as has become normal does ZL.

So the 'span of hours' for domestic flights tomorrow by any passenger airline is 0820 to 1000 for departures ex MEL. We'd have said 'unbelievable' a year ago if anyone had predicted this.

(There are seven international flights tomorrow scheduled ex MEL, but as usual, none from QFi or VAi).

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
So as it turns out even I was being optimistic
I don't agree with justinbrett that there'll just be 'one return' SYD - MEL - SYD flight a day (per operator) as the numbers of 'emergency services/government' staff moving around may be higher than that, plus those approved on compassionate grounds. So I reckon QF will continue to have more than two flights each way on this normally busy route, except maybe on low demand Saturdays. AFL teams, temporarily, don't have to fly around on VAd either.

AIRwin

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map