QF Domestic Eco. Reward Booking - upgrade to J | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

QF Domestic Eco. Reward Booking - upgrade to J

Ade

So, I booked a Y reward domestic from SYD to MEL on QF last night. I understand that this is a last minute booking, given that tomorrow is ANZAC Day. I chose the last flight out of SYD today (24/04) and return on Monday (29/04) morning to go straight into work

As per usual, it was 8000 points + $36 one way, 16,000 points + $72 +$12 for insurance. Booking done, PNR issued, all good so far.

Then I thought I'd check how many more points is required to upgrade to J and did so using the UPGRADE option on my Bookings page. To my surprise, it was 12.000 points to upgrade from Y to J for SYD-MEL one-way

If I booked J seats as part of my reward booking, It would have only cost me 16,000 * 2 = 32,000 points + $72. However, doing a Y booking first and then choosing to upgrade is costing 40,000 points + taxes.

I've booked Eco. Y before and upgraded using only 10,000 points. It seems that is now raised to 12,000 points.

Did anyone else notice this ?

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It's 12000 to uograde a reward flight, and 10000 to upgrade a discount economy ticket.

Ade

It's 12000 to uograde a reward flight, and 10000 to upgrade a discount economy ticket.
Thanks, I see that's the difference between a Disc. Y ticket and a Reward Y ticket.

But from a end customer perspective, it results in the customer spending 40,000 points for a reward J return upgrade, against, 32,000 for a reward J return fare.

IMHO, I feel that difference of 8000 points shouldn't be there - given that the points & status are hard earned by flying Qantas over the years. But that's my humble opinion

mannej

AFF Supporter
Having the ability to upgrade an award seat has only been a recent (I.e ~3 years ago) addition, but at a higher cost compared to upgrading a paid fare

• Sad
Reactions: Ade

Ade

You do get (disc Y) points/SC on the upgraded ticket to soften the blow a bit
So If I understood you right, I book a reward Y ticket, and upgrade to J - In this situation, do I get SC's or points?

andye

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
So If I understood you right, I book a reward Y ticket, and upgrade to J - In this situation, do I get SC's or points?
Apologies-had just deleted my post as I realised Id got the wrong end of the stick

AFF on Air Podcast

• Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ac124