QF A380 pilot base in MEL | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

QF A380 pilot base in MEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

markis10

Veteran Member
Local pool of pilots to use, and on a blank line they will be closer when something goes wrong. FWIW CX have four pilot bases in Australia.

docjames

Flights
My Map
I'm sorry, is there a proposal to do this?

Cost vs benefit? If they tighten the turn around for QF93/94 then maybe it's worth it but they've run MEL A380 ops without a base to date so why start now with no increase in scheduled A380 flights from MEL.

JessicaTam

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I'm sorry, is there a proposal to do this?

Cost vs benefit? If they tighten the turn around for QF93/94 then maybe it's worth it but they've run MEL A380 ops without a base to date so why start now with no increase in scheduled A380 flights from MEL.
Unless there is a plan to increase them. It would mean more airframes, though.

MEL-DFW anyone?

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

zainman

Established Member
Local pool of pilots to use, and on a blank line they will be closer when something goes wrong. FWIW CX have four pilot bases in Australia.
Does SQ also have pilots bases in Australia?

slc767338

Flights
My Map
It comes down to where the pilots live, not the capacity. Why would an EK pilot live in Australia and pay taxes???
I know one EK Training Captain who lives in MEL and commutes to DXB via A380 F.

Can't be a terrible lifestyle.

markis10

Veteran Member
I know one EK Training Captain who lives in MEL and commutes to DXB via A380 F.

Can't be a terrible lifestyle.
I bet it gets boring after a while, of course training crew are a tad different to line.

slc767338

Flights
My Map
I bet it gets boring after a while, of course training crew are a tad different to line.
It does and he assures me that once you sit in that seat enough times the novelty wears off. Training crew do operate commercial PAX flights as well as sim sessions.

zainman

Established Member
It comes down to where the pilots live, not the capacity. Why would an EK pilot live in Australia and pay taxes???
Good point. I was thinking maybe EK being such a large airline worldwide would also likely have lots of Aussie pilots and with the huge capacity maybe it suits them to have a base or something here.

So they don't "have" to live in DXB if they work for EK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Becklez