Qantas 'sorry' over NZ insulin blunder | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas 'sorry' over NZ insulin blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
ninemsn said:
Qantas 'sorry' over NZ insulin blunder

Thursday Nov 2 07:00 AEDT

Qantas has apologised to a diabetic who fell into a coma after airport staff refused to let him take his insulin on board a flight from Auckland to Christchurch.

The New Zealand Herald reported Tui Russell, a 43-year-old Auckland chef, was told by check-in staff at Auckland last month he could not take the clearly-labelled medication on board because it was dangerous.

He had a severe attack on the flight and was hospitalised for two weeks after falling into a coma shortly before landing at Christchurch Airport.

More...
I thought the ban on liquids was only on flights to/from the US and UK!
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I thought the ban on liquids was only on flights to/from the US and UK!
That is the current policy. However, after the recent terror threats in the UK, there was significant confusion for a short time about what could and could not be carried on board any flight. The rules changed regularly and with little notification in the week or so following the threats. I cannot see from the news report just when this incident occurred.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
NM said:
I cannot see from the news report just when this incident occurred.
The article does not specify an exact date but does mention the incident occurred last month and the man was hospitalised for 2 weeks.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
The article does not specify an exact date but does mention the incident occurred last month and the man was hospitalised for 2 weeks.
This NZ Herald report linked by Kiwi Flyer on FT raises some interesting points. It seems the entire story may not have come out just yet. But it does provide a date for the flight.
NZ Herald said:
No hospital records for 'comatose' airline passenger

Thursday November 2, 2006
By James Ihaka

Doubts have emerged about the coma a diabetic said he suffered on a flight from Auckland to Christchurch.

Qantas issued an apology to Peter Russell who says he was not allowed to take his insulin on board a flight on September 18.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
NM said:
It seems the entire story may not have come out just yet.
Typical of the media to release stories without having all the facts.

Just goes to prove don't believe everything you read.
 

bammac

Intern
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
72
When I first read the article I was pretty disgusted with Qantas offering a paltry $500 voucher to compensate after the guy went into a coma.

But after thinking about it, why would he get on the plane? If I was about to have my life-saving medication taken from me, I would not proceed with out it.

Maybe he is aiming for a lifetime of free flights on Qantas ;)
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
JohnK said:
I thought the ban on liquids was only on flights to/from the US and UK!
There has been no such restriction within NZ. I would bet they were taken because of needle being perceived as not allowed (erroneously) being as a sharp implement.
 
Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

browski

Established Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
1,578
bammac said:
When I first read the article I was pretty disgusted with Qantas offering a paltry $500 voucher to compensate after the guy went into a coma.

But after thinking about it, why would he get on the plane? If I was about to have my life-saving medication taken from me, I would not proceed with out it.

Maybe he is aiming for a lifetime of free flights on Qantas ;)
......and maybe you are aiming for a job as the Qantas spin doctor.
 

bammac

Intern
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
72
browski said:
......and maybe you are aiming for a job as the Qantas spin doctor.
I may do, once I master the england language that is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,304
Messages
2,080,271
Members
53,712
Latest member
harris08
Top