Qantas reward Bookings

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by clazman, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. clazman

clazman Established Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    G'day

Looking to book two business class return flights Perth - New York using points and would like some advice.

First comment or statement, in using the QF website it appears one way for one person is about 600,000 points, when 12 months ago, using the same dates it was 600,000 for both of us return. Are Qantas points that devalued in 12 months?

Second question relates is why does the QF site only return Perth - Sydney - NY flights, surely Perth - Hong Kong - NY or Perth - Dubai - NY would be better?

Thanks in advance for the comments

CC

2. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    Try searching for 'classic awards'

3. RooFlyer

RooFlyer Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012
    Tasmania
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hi

Can only address your first point, sorry. I'm guessing you are looking at 'any seat awards', and you are looking at those because there are no 'classic' awards available, which would be much cheaper.

Do you have WP status or above? If so, you could call to see if some classic seats could be opened up for you, perhaps on the other routes as well (assuming that its a few months off, at least).

4. Quickstatus

Quickstatus Senior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    NSW
    Classic awards are very restrictive. It will show you what's available and only on routes that have reward seats released. I think you were looking at Any seat awards

5. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    You may need to call the QFF line to see availability to JFK via HKG. The QF site doesn't tend to show CX partner awards online.

6. clazman

clazman Established Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    WOW thanks for the quick responses :)

From reading other posts, it is amazing at the differences in fares
    Perth - Dubai - NY $20-22K Emirates Business
    Perth - Syd - NY $20K Qantas
    Perth - HK - NY $18K Cathay Pacific Business
    Perth - Mel - Nadi - LAX- NY $18K Air Fiji Business
    Strangely the same flights as Air Fiji above, but booking half through QF and half through Air Fiji $14.5K saving 3.5K..go figure

So what have I learnt, read the forum for discounts :)

• Like Like x 1