Qantas Pub Sydney - no more takeaway coffee cups | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Pub Sydney - no more takeaway coffee cups

Vic

... and then take it on board with you, there and back. Wonder what the extra fuel burn will be (over multiple pax, multiple flights) and how green that will be? ;)
Keepcups are about 300 grams - minus the wieght of a disposable cup so its the fuel burn for carrying 280 grams for the one person. Go ahead and do the sums if you want, I'm sure they'll so the environmental impact of that fuel burn plus manufacturing the keepcup is less than the impact of throwning out 125 tonnes of disposable cups a day.

Considering my wieght can change upto 3 kg day to day, 280 grams is nothing...

Flights
My Map
At some stage in the last 4 weeks (last flew 24th Oct) the Sydney Qantas pub has gone "green" meaning you can now only get a tiny (halfcup really) ceramic cup of coffee before an early morning flight, not a takeaway one to take to the gate. Guess no more use for the skip app.

Means now need to start bringing a keep cup for flights if you want a large and convenient barista made coffee - one more thing to try and remeber when rushing out the door at 4:30am. If on 6am flight the Qantas pub has been the only place to get a real not plane coffee.
Good to see at least one move to try to reduce the enormous "single use items" airlines use. Small steps!

Lynda2475

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Qantas however should purchase some larger ceramic mugs so that those who have time to drink their coffee in the lounge can have a decent sized brew, instead of multiple tiny cups, from a environmental pov washing 1 mugs vs 3 smaller ones has t make more sense.

Flights
My Map
On the subject of takeaway cups...
I have asked countless times (and left online feedback) if the lounges would stock china mugs.
So many people who want a bigger cup of coffee go for the takeaway option when they don't have to.
Coffee in a mug? How Neanderthal/American is that. My good sir, coffee must only be served in proper small cups. Mugs? It’s just not right... 😂

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I can report that Qantas Business Lounge was giving out takeaway cups this morning. Perhaps they had temporarily run out?
Having said that, I must admit to being a fan of the ceramic cups. Much more civilised ;)

Reactions: DC3

Danielb56

Intern
Flights
My Map
At some stage in the last 4 weeks (last flew 24th Oct) the Sydney Qantas pub has gone "green" meaning you can now only get a tiny (halfcup really) ceramic cup of coffee before an early morning flight, not a takeaway one to take to the gate. Guess no more use for the skip app.

Means now need to start bringing a keep cup for flights if you want a large and convenient barista made coffee - one more thing to try and remeber when rushing out the door at 4:30am. If on 6am flight the Qantas pub has been the only place to get a real not plane coffee.
Can't be too green as they need to use more water to wash the ceramic cups or do they go Greeks style and smash them????

Beano

Flights
My Map
And yet they still hand out tiny little plastic water bottles in (some) domestic J because it's quicker than walking around with a tray of glasses.
Glass is heavy, plastic lighter, so more fuel needed. One airline, I think, has stopped issuing an on-flight magazine for the same reason.

Beano

Flights
My Map
A hotel i stay in has wooden electronic door keys. All in the aim of using less plastic.

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Looks like Air NZ have an interesting solution to disposable cups - edible cups, vanilla flavoured bisuit.

Pretty sure it takes more energy to make them than it would to clean a ceramic mug. Not to mention food waste.

Absolutely typical of people trying to cash in on climate change.

Berlin

Established Member
I don't drink coffee much so this doesn't affect me really but another change in the name of sustainability really bugs me- those awful big blocks of butter instead of the individual little butter packs. I realize that this saves a lot of single use plastic but gosh, those butter blocks are gross. A hearty mix of other peoples' fingerprints, bread crumbs and -surely- germs. Mjam :eek:

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunadeyesw