Qantas Premium AMEX - still free for new QFFers, and still with 17,500pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Febs

Established Member
Hi all,

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I searched through all the Qantas AMEX threads and found nothing.

The "17,500 free points and fee-free for first year" deal first mentioned here: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/amex-17-500-points-offer-7718.html

is back on, for new Qantas Frequent Flyer members. I couldn't find a website, but there's a form included with new membership kits which clearly states the annual card fee of $195 is waived for the first year, and the 17,500pts (15,000 on first spend, 2,500 on first QF spend) applies too.

Just a headsup for anyone who wants a cheap few extra points. My girlfriend recently signed up to QFF so will be applying for this card and transferring the points to me, to use on an upcoming US trip. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

Does anyone know if the 17,500 point offer is still on? I could find a mention of this on the AMEX site.

I guess the only guaranteed way to find out would be to sign up someone as a new QFFer and see if you receive the pamphlet (which would be a waste of $80 if the offer wasn't still running).

Unfortunately none of the advertising material indicated an expiry date for the offer, but the welcome letter my girlfriend received mentioned $0 fee for the first year.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Appreciate the quick response! I do know someone who wants an AMEX card if the offer is still on. I guess a call 2 AMEX will provide a firm answer. I will post the answer provided.

As this offer seems to be repeated regularly....Questions:

1/Has anyone ever applied and received te points......and then cancelled the acrd...and applied again to get the points again?

2/ Has anyone aplied fora second card to receive points twice?

Background on me: Note I currently have a Westpac Amex fee free with my mortage (but an earn rate of 1:1 via Altitude)...and then obtained a QANTAS Amex mid 2006 to gain the points andan earn rate of 1:1.25. My fee free year with QANTAS AMEx is up mid tis year.....and so I will cancel prior and:

• try asking for another free year and not cancel
  • complete cancelling and obtain an AMEX optimiser for the 1;1.5 earn rate
  • or seek to rejoin QANTAS Amex as per question above to gain another lot of points and fee free year.

It's back on the Qantas site now:

Frequent Flyer - Earning Points - Qantas American Express Card

"Want up to 17,500 points? Plus no annual Card fee for the first year saving $195.
Apply for the Qantas American Express Premium Card today
Qantas American Express Premium Card

How the points add up:

* 10,000 points after your first Card spend if you apply by
28 February 2007^ and are approved.
* 5,000 points after your first Card spend.
* 2,500 points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas services.*

Hurry, the 10,000 points and no annual Card fee for the first year offer ends 28 February 2007^ and is only available from this online promotion, so don't miss out. "

Yes...I applied abouta fortnight ago under a similar offer ending in March.

I received the Card this week....with the same documentation I received last July....so it looks like another 17500 points for me (well actually 35000 as I have had my wife apply as well):)

I have put quite a few $ thru the first one....so that may or may not have been a factor ...
and yes they were aware of the other card as when they rang me that had me go thru all my cards.

Paperwork confirmed that it is free for a year.....so as my last one was activated 7 months ago...if nothing else I have extended my card free period.:)

Will let you know if points post....

I have a couple of questions about this offer (I actually posted a question on another thread, but I think it was probably too OT, because there was no answer).

Q number 1: How is one's credit rating affected if one has applied for 3 different credit cards in the last 7 months (assuming all other credit history aspects are positive)? My husband is wondering if having applied for other credit recently might count against him. We currently don't have a home loan (nor have one planned), only credit cards, which we repay in full each month, and a spotless (if brief) credit history. Should he go for it?

Q number 2: Does it matter if he already has a different Amex (from NAB)?

TIA for any answer which will help clearing up the confusion.

Generally I think 2 card applications a year isn't going to cause too many concerns. 3 in 7 months may... but then again it does all depend on other factors, not just credit card applications. If you haven't defaulted on any loans, don't have any unpaid bills etc and have a spotless credit history then you don't need to worry to much. If you have no plans for a home loan anytime soon it doesn't really matter anyway.

As for the NAB Amex, while it may be an American Express card, it's issued by the NAB not Amex, so Amex wouldn't know about it so no concerns there.

danielribo said:
As for the NAB Amex, while it may be an American Express card, it's issued by the NAB not Amex, so Amex wouldn't know about it so no concerns there.
Thanks for your reply, that was fast! one more q. about the NAB Amex: the application form for the QF Amex asks whether the applicant has another Amex. Should we say that we do, even though it's issued by NAB, or should we pretend it's a VISA (or a MC)?

wombatcountry said:
Should we say that we do, even though it's issued by NAB, or should we pretend it's a VISA (or a MC)?

It would not be prudent to "pretend" that an AMEX is a VISA......as they would know....

However you may not be able to type it in if you apply online.

ie I just secured my second QANTAS AMEX card...and already have a "free" Westpac AMEX as well (but has a earn rate of only 1.0).

I tried typing in the Westpac Amex Number..but it would not accept it...so it may be the same for your NAB Amex.

I currently have 3 Amex's....all active...all free.

The Westpac one and two QANTAS Amex's.

If i wanted extra loan etc..then I would trim cards...or at least trim the available credit limit...as the total credit limit gets knocked off the total of funds that you may want to borrow.

Hi all - thanks for such a great resource! This is my first post :)

I applied too, for the April ending 17,500 offer fee free.

Few questions.

1. How long do the points take to appear? Do they appear seperately? (ie 10,000, then 5,000)?

2. Can my spouse who already has an AMEX card apply for the same points?

3. Finally, are people simply cancelling cards left right and centre after points appear? Or is that not in the spirit of Trans-Phillipine marketing etiquette? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back