Qantas Premier Platinum international transaction fee | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas Premier Platinum international transaction fee

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Action should be taken against the credit card provider, not the overseas merchant in this situation. It is the card provider charging the fee to the end customer.
I dunno... the overseas website could price in local currency so it would be clear that it was a foreign transaction. Those merchants are trying to appeal to the Aussie (or whichever) market by displaying prices in local currency. If I buy a ticket on from London to Paris it shows the price in pound sterling, it doesn't display it in AUD.

encryptededdy

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't been caught out by this fee on my cards before. Maybe I'm just being overly careful though, but my usual rule is physical products shipped from Australia are fine, but all digital products (except really popular ones that I can easily google like Spotify, Youtube premium etc.) outside of Google Play / Apple App Store / Microsoft Store go on my fee-free debit card.

woodborer

Established Member
Action should be taken against the credit card provider, not the overseas merchant in this situation. It is the card provider charging the fee to the end customer.
What action? The fees are disclosed in the fee. schedule

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
It’s a bit like dynamic currency conversion... the customer is only aware of the fee if they are aware of the fee.

For sites billing in AUD, many folk wouldn’t know it is being processed overseas and will incur a currency conversion charge.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
The simple solution is a fee free card. The relentless chase for the odd Qantas or Velocity point is ending up costing people more in fees than the points they earn!

The problem with many of these overseas websites is that I guess it must be hard for the ACCC to take action against them?
The action @MEL_Traveller was referring to, hence my comment quoting his message.

The point we were both making is that while it is outlined in the schedule, how is an end customer meant to know where an amount in AUD is being processed in Australia or overseas? Short of prior to any transaction actually making contact with the vendor and asking, one will never know. So action could be a requirement for more clarity on this from vendors and being upfront when the transaction in AUD is not being processed within Australia.

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

nanaof2

I have now contacted Qantas via messenger letting them know what is happening under their brand. Will advise if and when I get a reply.
Qantas told me it is not their problem, deal with the credit card.
Called QF Platinum who told me they have an arrangement with Mastercard to charge regardless where the office of the supplier is if it is an foreign business, but out of a once of goodwill they will reverse the charge. Which they did. Lesson learned use the card at the supermarket but probably that is it.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carrie Walker