Qantas or Wollies Dollars? No international travel till 2022

_flyer

Qantas
Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Hi all, I have been sending my Woolworths points to Qantas, but recently changed my redemption to Woolworths dollars.

I seem to be accumulating a lot more Qantas points than I’m spending. I also think we are all going to have huge point balances to offload - so it will be difficult to redeem later. Not to mention a possible devaluation.

What are people doing in this current environment?

If there was a further incentive like status credits to keep the redemption to Qantas I might have stayed, but I just don’t see the point (literally).

Solution
@_flyer , Set it to "Bank For Christmas".

That stops auto conversion to Qantas points and also stops checkout staff from applying $10 without asking.

You can then make up your mind down the track.
AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260
Qantas
Platinum

That stops auto conversion to Qantas points and also stops checkout staff from applying $10 without asking.

I’d never considered that for the reason you give. Good one! I have just changed back from $ to Qantas points. I do use some for domestic classic reward flights (at least six a year west to east coast).

A strong reason to convert to QF might be reaching or maintaining Points Club.

VPS

Solutions
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum

Thank you - didn't know this existed - now to remember to switch it later if necessary

aikman

Their system doesn't automatically apply the $10 anymore. You now have to intentionally select Woolworths Dollars as a method of payment.

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Their system doesn't automatically apply the $10 anymore. You now have to intentionally select Woolworths Dollars as a method of payment.
True, but sometimes if using an old style check out the cashier will apply any available discount without asking. (They are supposed to ask, but it seems that takes too long.:rolleyes:)

SWMBO uses 'Bank for Christmas'; last month she availed herself of over $200 in credit.

They had changed things and unlike in prior years, it was not automatically available come Dec 1.

She had to specifically 'switch off' the banking to use it. Of course, this was not switched back in come January and a cashier casually applied a recently attained new $10 credit to a purchase without asking.

Last edited:
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
A strong reason to convert to QF might be reaching or maintaining Points Club.
Exactly! ;)

Choose 'bank for Christmas' and accumulate until your new Qantas "Year" commences - switch to points and watch your Club Qualification get a boost 💡

gusty

Exactly! ;)

Choose 'bank for Christmas' and accumulate until your new Qantas "Year" commences - switch to points and watch your Club Qualification get a boost 💡
This is exactly what I do and it works a treat. Was able to get me a solid start for my current membership year - have put it back to Christmas until my new 'year' and then will do another sweep.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
Exactly! ;)

This is a great idea!

I'm quite happy to continue collecting Qantas points at Woolies, but I don't need the points right now so it makes perfect sense for me to switch now to "bank until Christmas", then switch back to "Qantas points" once my new Points Club year starts (I've already qualified this year).

I assume that if you select "bank for Christmas", then change to "Qantas points", your accumulated points/savings then all sweep across to Qantas straight away?

Last edited:

gusty

I assume that if you select "bank for Christmas", then change to "Qantas points", your accumulated points/savings then all sweep across to Qantas straight away?
I've found it takes up to 24 hours without an immediate purchase - it does get automatically pushed if you make a purchase in store at Woolies or BWS.

serfty

Veteran Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I've found it takes up to 24 hours without an immediate purchase - it does get automatically pushed if you make a purchase in store at Woolies or BWS.
I'd suggest sometimes longer, I've had it take a week or so (although not sure about having had any activity in that time).