QANTAS Credit Union - changing name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter_Plinge

Just received a bulletin from QANTAS Credit Union announcing they wish to change their name to QDOS Bank. They are looking for member votes to allow this change. I get the impression Qantas Airways is at least partly behind the push - perhaps it wants to cut them loose. Can't say I care much for the name but wishing to become a bank seems a reasonable aspiration. Qantas employees comprise 25% of QCU's members.

Why are we changing our name?
For several years the Qantas Credit Union Board has been considering options to overcome confusion around Membership eligibility and growth, and how best to position the organisation for strength and growth into the future. So when Qantas Airways raised with us that it was time for us to consider a new name our Board saw this as the next step to remove the impediments to membership growth by removing Qantas and including ‘bank’ in our name.

One of my favourite credit cards. I hope QUDOS can do auto pay soon from third parties.

Last edited:
I got it wrong. It's Qudos. And they admit it's a pun on kudos. Must have been the result of a staff competition. Surely no branding or marketing firm would come up with something as bad as that.

Just received the voting slip for the AGM in the post.

Just received a bulletin from QANTAS Credit Union announcing they wish to change their name to QDOS Bank. They are looking for member votes to allow this change. I get the impression Qantas Airways is at least partly behind the push - perhaps it wants to cut them loose. Can't say I care much for the name but wishing to become a bank seems a reasonable aspiration. Qantas employees comprise 25% of QCU's members.
Interest that Qantas raise the suggestion that "if you remove Qantas from your name you might be able to attract more customers"!

Mutual banks seem to be getting approved by the banking regulator on a more regular basis.

Who would have thought qudos would be more appealing than qantas?

Got another email from QCU. AS I suspected, Qantas is driving this change. Basically they have told QCU to get lost. I can sort of see their point given that these days comparatively few QCU customers are Qantas employees and QCU has chosen to market itself to the wider public using the Qantas logo:

So when Qantas Airways requested that we no longer use the Qantas name or branding associated with or similar to Qantas Airways,...

All the same, "QUDOS BANK" doesn't do anything for me.

Well if they wanted more people to sign up they should call it Qantas points bank or Qantas points credit union so people would get the idea that you may get 'free' qantas points at this bank.... not that you cart get some points for a free/or a fee at one of the big 4.

I voted against and also against a survey on the new look options.

Qudos is too much like Quran for my liking.

I joined them when they where for staff and family, not management wants more and I suspect if they can get the 'bank' up and running they will collect a nice bonus.

Perfect! QDOS: Qantas Denial of Service
Seems more apt for the airline than the bank however...

Qdos is a name used by other businesses, e.g.,

Qdos Technology, Integrated Cloud based business software for Retail, Wholesale & Distribution | eCommerce, CRM, Point of Sale, Wholesale, Distribution, Inventory Control, Order Management, Accounting

Not sure how they'll go persisting with this name.

A recent email said the change was being forced by Qantas, who no longer want the name and branding used by the credit union. OK, that's understandable nevertheless QCU went about proposing the change in a cack-handed and misleading way. They could have just said, "Qantas will no longer allow us to use their brand" instead of getting sidetracked about how being a bank with a new name is a great thing. If I'd been told the real reason at the outset I'd have been more sympathetic.

Yes WOW is their ASX code and their share price has been going in reverse gear for quite some time. WOW is doing good with Dans and Aldi is biting Woolies and Coles every month.
QCU or Qudos does not worry me at all.

I just hope when they change to their new name.... that they revise their travel insurer and allow common pre existing health conditions to be included in the travel insurance. I have had a minor issue for years which is always included in other travel insurance providers pre existing conditions lists, but no QCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back