Status
Not open for further replies.

tomlee1986

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I am asking out of curiosity.. do any of you use the card very frequently within Australia.. I don't mean as in a travel money card overseas, but domestically as I have never seen any use it as a pretty cash card for day to day purchases to earn the points.. I do use it in replacement of bank card for day to day purchases, but I still use the bank card for large purchases that I need.. How bout the rest of you?`

Why anyone would use this instead of their regular CC is beyond me. I only see it useful when there is a promotion on to get bonus points or if one has difficulty in obtaining a CC. I would have used this back in my uni days when I didn't have a CC.

Why would anyone use this?
Well if people can't get a credit card, or don't want a credit card they can still earn FF points. At pretty much the same rates as most other major Mastercards.

I only used it recently to get the 2,500 bonus points.
Would much prefer to use a cc.

If you've got some moral objection to credit cards then it may be a good way of getting QFF points but otherwise I don't see any need for it. By using my CC, I'm getting the same number of points (plus bonus points if i buy QF products), I'm not having to pay back for 55 days and I'm building a good credit rating. That 3 day wait to load the QC card is quite painful too.

Can't see it ever being a reasonable tool for 'emergency cash'.

Funds can take three business days to load so you would not want to be in a hurry. It's either that or leave an 'emergency' balance in the account from where Heratage bank and Qantas are the only real beneficiaries ...

Qantas have done a good job of aligning everyone who has a credit card and who is looking at credit cards and flying already has a Qantas earning credit card, so the market for those that fly who cannot get a credit card is very small.

Virgin on the other hand I think has had a bit more success; they had the first mover advantage, and not everyone has a Virgin aligned credit card, both are rather slow, usually 3 days to transfer money so not much good if you need cash in a hurry.

What I do like about the Virgin card is that it is set up every time I make a payment, example Coles or Fast food purchases you receive an email and you know how much money you have left in your account.

I can earn a few more points on my Qantas aligned Westpac Black Amex card but I like a separate account for those little purchases.

I will only use a Qantas card whenever there is a promotion, currently I still have $0.04 cents on the card.

I loaded some cash for emergency use too, but also used it to get the 2,500 points (which I haven't got yet).
Yeah the promotion points tend to arrive fairly late. Back when they released the QCC there was a promotion where you got 2 points per dollar spent overseas. IIRC, it took a month for my account to be credited.

I use it quite a lot, as my bank only gives me 2.5% back when I pay pass/pay wave it, and there are still some places that don't take pay pass/pay wave, I know the big supermarkets do, but there are still that only accept the chip into the reader at the bottom.
Each pay day, once the pay is in my regular account, I move money across to QCC or VGW, wait 3 days, and then start splurging.
Its a pity that it takes 3 days for transfers to go across, and its a pity that Heritage CU or Heritage Bank, or REv can't give these 2 cards a BSB so that I can put my pay straight into either or both.
Pain in the bum, but still, better than nothing.
I don't earn that much from wages/salary income, so its hard to show cc companies I earn enough to get approval for the true cc, so QCC and VGW are the best for me.
And the BW Qantas transaction Mastercard, you need $2k a month incoming into the account, to get it.
Ps, PRETTY? Yes, I must say, red is a nice colour. Though I do get confused when the 2 cards are in the same place of storage, QCC and VGW look same from top of card.

It is quite useful for me. I've been using it to buy Tiger's flights and pay no CC fee + get QF points :D

Its a pity that it takes 3 days for transfers to go across, and its a pity that Heritage CU or Heritage Bank, or REv can't give these 2 cards a BSB so that I can put my pay straight into either or both.
You can load funds via BPAY.

How do I load Qantas Cash via my bank account using BPAY®?Load via your bank using BPAY[SUP]®[/SUP]
Biller code: 535807
Reference no: Your 16 digit [Qantas Cash] number
Visit your internet banking website or phone banking; Login and choose to make a payment via BPAY[SUP]®[/SUP]. Funds will be loaded into your default currency, which you can change at any time and is initially set to AUD when you first receive your card.
If you want to lock-in your exchange rate or load multiple currencies you may want to load viaqantascash.com. See <How do I load Qantas Cash via qantascash.com using BPAY[SUP]® [/SUP]or PLOI[SUP]™[/SUP] ?> for more information.
The exchange rate, if applicable, will be the rate at the time of processing. BPAY[SUP]®[/SUP] loads take 2 - 3 Australian business days to process.

See Qantas Cash FAQs -> Loading & Transferring Funds

IME bpay takes three business days.

Is there another method? I have not used any.
You can only load via qantascash.com using BPAY or POLI, or via your bank using BPAY, and unfortunately all loads take 2-3 business days to be processed.

Yes, I think you missed an option of got for the 2500 points and will then dump it.

No real need to "dump" it though ... just leave it as is, as there's no inactivity fee. If you wish, spend the remaining small $ amount at Coles or Woolworths self checkout, and then consider options for future promos :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back