Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Qantas Call Centre Wait Time

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
The issue is the majority of customers don't need the call centre and it's an expense for them to be there. It doesn't make them money so to speak.
The majority of customers wouldn't have needed to call if QF had offered refunds in the first place, and then processed them quickly :(

I do understand the cost of humans in call centres of course but they still are needed in these times...

So I googled... a November 2018 article puts the monthly salary of a call centre agent in the Philippines at around USD240-270. Let's say that's doubled due to inflation and because QF is a premium company... so USD500 a month. 50 extra staff would cost ~USD300,000 a year. Seems like a small amount to keep 10 million members happy!

RichardMEL

Solutions
I am a QF Gold and it took me 1hr 5mins on Tuesday afternoon to get through.
It is ridiculous imo for ANY customer to have to wait so long let alone a mid tier elite.

QF probably feel they can get away with these levels because most domestic flies have the handcuffs of one sort or another (as previously discussed) and well.. a bit of arrogance there because if you need to get something done you need to get something done so you'll wait.

I do not think that is anywhere NEAR acceptable for ANY caller to a company let alone a "valued" customer.

I do agree with the comment about refunds too.. of course we understand why QF is doing everything they can to hold on to our money.

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Why the long wait FFS?
Because they just don't care.

Hour and a half so far.
Four hours+ isn't uncommon.

I got sick of them wasting my time and giving me the run around re refunds for flights they cancelled so I lodged a dispute with Fair Trading. That 20 mins was well worth spending and I should have done it a lot sooner rather than continually giving Qantas chances to sort their problems out.

Last edited:

aikman

I don't know why they took away the SMS and webchat service. Those were really good alternatives to waiting hours on the phone.

TheInsider

Established Member
Solutions
I don't know why they took away the SMS and webchat service. Those were really good alternatives to waiting hours on the phone.
I think because the work died down, i'm sure that will be back asap.

The Qantas Premier Platinum Card delivers up to 100k Qantas Points, 75 bonus Status Credits, complimentary lounge invitations and travel insurance. All this with a reduced first-year annual fee of $199.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

eminere

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
I called 131313 yesterday Thursday at 10.15pm and it was answered pretty much right away, by the premium call centre in Hobart. Had a super lovely agent.

Peso

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
QF Gold. Called 131313 earlier this week at 17.30 due to a points ticket not issuing. Over 1 hour later still on hold with no callback options.

3DAA4AD4-F4CE-40A4-84A9-696609DE1442_1_105_c.jpeg

jb747

Enthusiast
Very sadly, “they” is Alan Joyce and cohorts. QANTAS is not them, and will, I hope, survive their passage.

Rangalad

Solutions
I called 131313 yesterday Thursday at 10.15pm and it was answered pretty much right away, by the premium call centre in Hobart. Had a super lovely agent.
Same here. Called Sat morning answered within a minute by Hobart. Great service and super friendly.

Ktan89

Solutions
Yes, Qantas have long wait times at the moment, I waited 2h 30min yesterday, but i'll happily wait as long as i get a premium consultant (Hobart/Auckland) who knows what they are doing. Better than waiting +2 hours, connecting to Manila, explaining to them what you are trying to do with no outcome then hang up and call back getting to Manila again! haha

BNEFlyer

Virgin
Gold
Because they just don't care.

Four hours+ isn't uncommon.

I got sick of them wasting my time and giving me the run around re refunds for flights they cancelled so I lodged a dispute with Fair Trading. That 20 mins was well worth spending and I should have done it a lot sooner rather than continually giving Qantas chances to sort their problems out.
I had to call about 4 weeks ago, spent almost 5 hours on hold in total (over four calls). Eventually managed to get the callback option and an hour later got a call back. Had to talk to someone twice because the first person I spoke to didn't do what they said they would when fixing up a booking.

However last week there was a schedule change where I didn't want to accept the proposed change (and of course they don't allow changes to be made online) so I DM'd QF on Twitter and had it all sorted in less than an hour.

jjonnboy

I am very quickly realising why I have a foot in each camp (still firmly with VA despite the unknown). I'm over the hour mark now on the phone, waiting to discuss being bumped on a cancelled J CNS-BNE flight (QF1719) only to have it now magically reappear as the QF719. Stuck on the midday flight even though 9x J seats available on the 16:40; of course no classic award seats available.

Last edited:

jjonnboy

1h30m to answer; good outcome though, we're back on the 16:40, despite no classic J seats showing on-line. Always lovely and helpful call centre staff, just not enough of them!

VHOEJ

A lot of the calls shouldn't be required - they don't want to pay for the technology to allow people to cancel / change / rebook themselves.

It is a waste of time for the passengers and the few call centre staff who are left. Leave the calls to actual questions that can't be fixed easily. Most airlines make it easy to manage things yourself, QF does not and doesn't want to spend the money.

AIRwin

Established Member
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Banner now appearing on the QF website:
1608254735700.png