Qantas bagge limits | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas bagge limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Just a quick one - I am wondering if the baggage allowances are cumulative?

I am Qantas silver (for the next week - then it will be gold :)) and am flying business class LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD this week. The baggage allowance for business class is 30KG but as a PS I get an extra 10KG allowance - does that mean I get 40KG in total for checked baggage?

As a related question, I am wondering if I am going to be able to sneak 2 suit bags into the hold as part of my normal allowance. I also have my normal trolley case and my small rucksack that normally has my laptop in - the laptop is going to be in the middle of my suitcase for the LHR-SIN trip.

Cheers

S
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
simongr said:
Just a quick one - I am wondering if the baggage allowances are cumulative?

I am Qantas silver (for the next week - then it will be gold :)) and am flying business class LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD this week. The baggage allowance for business class is 30KG but as a PS I get an extra 10KG allowance - does that mean I get 40KG in total for checked baggage?

As a related question, I am wondering if I am going to be able to sneak 2 suit bags into the hold as part of my normal allowance. I also have my normal trolley case and my small rucksack that normally has my laptop in - the laptop is going to be in the middle of my suitcase for the LHR-SIN trip.

Cheers

S
As long as you are travelling on a Qantas marketed and operated flight then you are entitled to 10Kg over the ticketed allowance, so travelling business class, you are entitled to 30Kg + 10Kg.

As long as your checked luggage does not exceed 40Kg, then you can check in multiple pieces, there isn't an item limit

Dave
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Cheers - its just not clear on the website and being paranoid I live my life in fear ;)

Cthanks

S
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
783
simongr said:
Cheers - its just not clear on the website and being paranoid I live my life in fear ;)

Cthanks

S
i bet others really enjoy sitting next to you then when flying ... :p
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Currently there is no need to check your laptop. UK is again allowing carry-ons (but still no water, only 1 piece and limited size).
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
bigjobs said:
i bet others really enjoy sitting next to you then when flying ... :p
Actually one thing I am not nervous about is flying :)

@kiwiflyer Yeah - good news re the laptop at least if I check in very early now I can work done in the lounge.
 

macca172

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
41
All,
I was about to post the same question about being a gold member and the additional baggage allowance, as I rang Qantas today and asked the same question.
I advised the guy on the line that I was a QFF gold member, I had purchased a ticket to London and Qantas had booked me onto a BA flight for the trip home in October. My question to him was "do I still get the additional 10Kg over the 20kg baggage allowance owing to Qantas putting me on a BA flight?
He said "interesting question and put me on hold". On his return to me he said "no Im sorry Sir, your 10kg additional allowance is only valid on QF flights"! I politely said in response that it wasnt my choice to be put on a BA flight and I find that answer a bit hard to absorb, to which he replied there as nothing he could do about it.
Now I am confused, as I am told BA is going to charge for excess baggage over the allowance, commencing sometime in October.

Macca
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
The additional allowances apply only for Qantas operated flights

From the Qantas website regarding the additional baggage allowances ( Frequent Flyer - About the Program - Benefits & Privileges - Status Privileges )

"Valid only on Qantas-operated jet flights where you have a Qantas flight number on your ticket. "

If you are travelling BA , you are entitled to the BA allowance of 23/30/40 until October 10 or 1PC or economy 2PC for WT+/J/F from October 11

Dave
 

macca172

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
41
Dave,

Yes so I have found out again tonight by ringing Qantas again to clarify. As I just said to the guy, I can fly from Sydney to London with 30kg, however I have to dump 10kg to come back with BA. He agree's, it doesnt make sense and he is going to try and get me on QF2(not looking good as its booked out on the day). He also said that Qantas "should" be making QFF pax in this situation, aware of this limitation for checked baggage allowances with codeshare partners, as he didnt know it either until he looked up the policy.

Macca
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
macca172 said:
Dave,

Yes so I have found out again tonight by ringing Qantas again to clarify. As I just said to the guy, I can fly from Sydney to London with 30kg, however I have to dump 10kg to come back with BA. He agree's, it doesnt make sense and he is going to try and get me on QF2(not looking good as its booked out on the day). He also said that Qantas "should" be making QFF pax in this situation, aware of this limitation for checked baggage allowances with codeshare partners, as he didnt know it either until he looked up the policy.

Macca

If you can get on QF2, then that would be fine n dandy. I don't see why they should be telling passengers , other than telling them that they are on a codeshare flight operated by another carrier . Members should be aware that the benefit only applies to QF flights since it is well documented

Dave
 

macca172

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
41
Dave,
Without be too facetious, when one gets his QF itinerary and it states QF302(with no mention of it being operated by BA), combined with the fact that I dont travel overseas with QF on a regular basis, it would be a fair assumption in my books anyway that QF302 is a flight operated by Qantas! Remember, I booked with Qantas expecting to fly with Qantas, it wasnt my choice it was theirs that I fly codeshare on the return leg. In conclusion, if I would have knwn that I was going to be flying the return leg with BA, I would have declined.

Macca
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
macca172 said:
Dave,
Without be too facetious, when one gets his QF itinerary and it states QF302(with no mention of it being operated by BA), combined with the fact that I dont travel overseas with QF on a regular basis, it would be a fair assumption in my books anyway that QF302 is a flight operated by Qantas! Remember, I booked with Qantas expecting to fly with Qantas, it wasnt my choice it was theirs that I fly codeshare on the return leg. In conclusion, if I would have knwn that I was going to be flying the return leg with BA, I would have declined.

Macca
I did say that they should make sure that they tell the passenger that they are booked on a codeshare operated by another carrier. In Eggland, for example iirc, they are legally required to

Dave
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
macca172 said:
Now I am confused, as I am told BA is going to charge for excess baggage over the allowance, commencing sometime in October.
With the current situation I wouldn't bet that the rules will change in October (though they may).
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Kiwi Flyer said:
With the current situation I wouldn't bet that the rules will change in October (though they may).
I don't see any reason why BA will not proceed with their change to a piece based system in October. The new allowances are more generous than the current and allows BA to easily charge for excess baggage. Given the time I would assume that they are spending in setting up online payments for excess baggage , I cannot see why they would backtrack.

Dave
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
It's worth noting though, that Qantas Club and Status allowances are not cumulative with each other.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Dave Noble said:
I don't see any reason why BA will not proceed with their change to a piece based system in October. The new allowances are more generous than the current and allows BA to easily charge for excess baggage. Given the time I would assume that they are spending in setting up online payments for excess baggage , I cannot see why they would backtrack.

Dave
The strict limit on 23kg per piece (not even having the option to pay to carry more) is NOT an improvement on current checked luggage rules. With the current restrictions on carry ons, pax have to check in more than previously. Some UK airports (LHR and LGW are apparently the worst) are failing to cope with the increased checked baggage. Therefore it stands to reason, that in the (hopefully unlikely) event carry on restrictions are still significant come October that BA will not be able to impose stricter check luggage rules as they intend, at least without even further backlash from travelling public.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,001
Kiwi Flyer said:
The strict limit on 23kg per piece (not even having the option to pay to carry more) is NOT an improvement on current checked luggage rules....
I totally agree with you. There is no way that 23kg per piece is an improvement on current checked luggage allowances especially when more than 1 carrier is involved in the routing.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I totally agree with you. There is no way that 23kg per piece is an improvement on current checked luggage allowances especially when more than 1 carrier is involved in the routing.
But wasn't the old limit 20kg for economy passengers? Crtainly is for the kangaroo route with both QF and BA. So isn't 23kg > 20kg?

And if in WT+ or J cabin you get 2 x 23kg (up from 30kg prevously), and F used to be 40kg. So its greater weight capacity all round, with the exception being tickets that used to be on the USA type piece system that previously permitted 1 or 2 x 32kg bags.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,805
Messages
1,859,175
Members
48,636
Latest member
soosan
Top