Problem using CBA diamond Amex for some hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkbaus

FYI
Was trying to book a couple of hotels online. One was Hilton and the other was a small hotel in Rome.
Neither website had a field for CVV when entering payment details.

Received booking confirmations from both. A couple of days later I received emails from both advising credit card payment had been declined.

Phoned CBA who advised the authorisations were declined due to wrong/missing CVV.
I spoke to a CBA supervisor who advised she was not able to override this issue and allow the transactions to be processed.

Made new bookings with ANZ card and had no problems.
Less points but successful booking.

Sounds like they're not accepting an authorisation without a CVV.

For what it's worth, a merchant is not allowed to take and store a CVV from you if they're not processing the card immediately. If they take a CVV then it must be checked immediately (which is why a lot of merchants do a test $1 authorisation) and then discarded if the card number is to be stored.

So it sounds like the hotel is doing the right thing not collecting it if they aren't processing the card until a few days later but CBA may not like it.

It appears that post by Ewing above was in response to my post from almost one year ago.

Oh whoops. That'll teach me for just looking at the front page and unread posts in a section I hardly visit - didn't notice that this section was rather quiet :)

Why would anyone look in this section anymore. Can't imagine why anyone on AFF would be using a CBA plastic anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back