Previous Card holder - Anyway of still getting sign up bonuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blingy90

Hello everyone,

I've previously held the velocity plat. amex which I cancelled in May 2014, Im wanting to sign up for the plat edge amex and ideally would like the sign up bonuses but at the same time would like the card now and not have to wait until May for the 12 month period to pass.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any tips or insider knowledge on being able to still receive the sign up bonuses inside the 12 month period

Cheers

I've previously been able to within the 12-month period but there are obviously no guarantees.

A referral will generally offer a larger bonus than is publicly available (10k for you and 10k for me).

<removed referral link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the referral! The T&Cs for this offer will let me get the annual fee waived, however the 10k bonus I theoretically will not be able to get.
I did ring up earlier and asked if they could make an exception and the customer rep said they couldn't.
However might try again and let them know I have a referral and maybe that might change things?

I wouldn't bother ringing. They're just going to tell you what's in the T&C's.

You're just going to have to decide if the risk is worth it. Would you still want the card without the bonus? If so, just apply and the bonus will be just that.

For what it's worth, I know plenty of people who have received the bonus despite currently holding Amex cards.

It's really up to you to decide.

:)

Thank you for the referral! The T&Cs for this offer will let me get the annual fee waived, however the 10k bonus I theoretically will not be able to get.
I did ring up earlier and asked if they could make an exception and the customer rep said they couldn't.
However might try again and let them know I have a referral and maybe that might change things?

Can't you wait a couple of months? If you get accepted for the card, but not the bonus points, that will knock you out for another 12 months on bonus points promotions. Having said that, I have read of many people here being successful in getting the bonuses, even holding a current Amex card. YMMV.

I have always received the bonus points despite having multiple cards and the T&Cs stating that I shouldn't receive them. However I have always been aware that there is a good chance that I wouldn't get the bonus points.

I can wait a couple of months, I think I just had it in my mind that it has been over 12 months already since I cancelled the previous card and I wanted to start earning MR points now.

Now the dilemma is to either wait or take the gamble...

I'd be surprised if you didn't get the points, I even got the sign on bonus for platinum edge when transferring from a different card

I'd be surprised if you didn't get the points, I even got the sign on bonus for platinum edge when transferring from a different card

Similar experience here got 15k bonus MR points even though I was transferring from another AMEX card.

I'm thinking of having a go with the velocity platinum card anyone recently applied for it and received points despite having another product?

Agree with others on this thread, an existing plat edge customer and applied for plat charge (on the same account).. full bonus points posted!

This is the dilemma I'm having; The Velocity Platinum card is offering 80,000 bonus points if signing up through a referral currently, which for the $349 annual fee I feel is worthwhile, given the points earn / free flight. However I'm a current AMEX card holder (platinum edge) and so run the risk of not getting the bonus points as per the T&Cs. Tossing up whether to risk it!

I haven't heard of anyone not getting the points either with existing cards or recently canceled. So should be fine. If they don't post plead ignorant and 'cancel' if they don't give them to you? should get fee refunded if its within a month or so but nothing is guaranteed in life

Well, I applied last week, was approved and received the cards today. Will cross my fingers and see if the bonus points post after I've spent the required $500 in 3 months (I assume this $500 includes both mine and any supplementary card spend?).

It says to allows 8-10wks for the bonus points to post after spending the qualifying amount; anybody here who has had them post remember if it usually takes that long?

I'm closely watching whether you will get the points or not Arrow29. I want to apply as well but hold the AMEX platinum reserve card. Also, someone who I worked with applied through a referrer too. She was told over the phone that she will get 80,000 EXTRA points i.e. current 50,000 promotion and 80,000 extra on top of that for being referred! If that is true, then that would be very very nice :)

Arrow29 - i checked and on the date the transaction that got me to $500 or over, the points showed up for the Virgin Amex 80,000 promo, existing card member. The points were backdated to that day so as soon as the transaction was listed it showed up.It was before the first monthly statement was released so i think its dynamic rather than on a set date.

FYI

Good luck and enjoy

My plan is to use 80,000 Velocity for SYD - AUH + $85 taxes on Etihad A380 in Business.
Then 40,000 AAdvanatge to do AUH - London on Etihad A380 First, from other signon bonus.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, locopano. Sounds promising.

Will keep this thread posted re: the outcome, tirtytree!

Hey all,

The 80,000 bonus points posted this morning! So if anyone was holding back waiting to see if they posted for an existing card holder, go for it :)

If anybody wants a referral link, happy to provide one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back