Pooling MR across different cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitwg

Hi Amex gurus, hoping to get some clarification on this.

So currently, my Amex personal portfolio is:

Platinum charge card
Platinum reserve card
Platinum edge card

At the moment, the charge card and the reserve card is tied to the same MR pool so whatever I spend on either card gets pooled. However, the edge card points goes into a different MR pool.

I emailed Amex this morning to see if this can be fixed and they told me to call the customer service line because this can be fixed. So I just spoke to platinum services and the answer I got was that the two MR accounts can't be pooled because one is an MR ascent premium and the other is an MR ascent account. I was actually surprised to hear this answer because:

1. The reserve card isn't an ascent premium card either, it just happens to be linked to my charge card
2. I swear I heard of people linking some different tiered cards together (although not 100% on this)

I think regardless of this ascent premium/ascent difference, the bigger difference is probably the way that the points accrue (3x on restaurants for the charge vs. 3x on supermarkets for the edge). So if they told me that this different points earn structure was the reason why the two MR accounts cannot be combined, it would have been easier for me to understand the issue.

So I guess my question is, has anyone managed to link all 3 cards into one pool? Or alternatively, linked a plat edge with a plat charge so the edge card gets enrolled in ascent premium too?

I had all 3 linked, until I realised that there is no point in the reserve if you can get the edge comped with the plat charge.

But yes, my edge and charge are both on ascent premium.

Thanks. So I guess it is just a matter of calling back and getting a more competent agent.

yes - back in the day when i had the platinum charge, reserve and edge, all the points went into the same pool

i have since cancelled charge and reserve. but all point still seem to go to the legacy ascent scheme still :)

Hi

The only different between Ascent premium and Ascent is Qantas Frequent flyer point

So with Ascent premium you can transfer to QFF, with ascent you cannot

Platinum Charge card has - Ascent premium

Platinum reserve and Edge - Ascent

I used to work in MR department before that made me redundant

You can Email the one that looking after MR - I think her name was Glenda something

You can pool your point if they are on same Membership reward type

From Ascent premium you can go to Ascent

From Ascent you can not go to Ascent premium

Your edge CAN be linked to your Ascent premium if you have a plat charge though. You might be saying this, but just wanted to clarify your post.

Your edge CAN be linked to your Ascent premium if you have a plat charge though. You might be saying this, but just wanted to clarify your post.

Hi

I tried before in the past to link those two type, unfortunately you cannot.

Hi

I tried before in the past to link those two type, unfortunately you cannot.

Really? It was possible, and must be at least possible with grandfathering, because my account exists and has only a single MR premium account for both my edge and charge...

Really? It was possible, and must be at least possible with grandfathering, because my account exists and has only a single MR premium account for both my edge and charge...

when i said tried, i literally tried it

2 different membership cannot be link together

you can go down, but you cannot go up

Yep. Had the same response as above after my 2nd call.

Its weird because I initially raised this issue as an online enquiry and that team is still insistent that all 3 cards can be linked. But calling again, the agent was fairly firm that the edge cannot be linked to ascent premium.

I asked then why is my reserve linked to ascent premium and the answer I got for that was because that card was a companion card to my plat charge so that was more of an exception then the norm. At that point, I decided to not really take it further because while this is an inconvenience, at the end, its not going to affect me too much anyway.

That is very strange because when I had all 3 cards, all points were swept into the Ascent Premium account.
Now that I have closed the platinum charge and corresponding reserve card, my edge card is still swept into the Ascent premium account. SSSHHHHHHHH

Exactly the same situation as you. I cancelled my plat charge for over 6 months and it's still showing ascent premium on my EDGE account...

Is this normal?

It doesn't really benefit me as I hardly transfer to QFF....

Thanks,
K.

That is very strange because when I had all 3 cards, all points were swept into the Ascent Premium account.
Now that I have closed the platinum charge and corresponding reserve card, my edge card is still swept into the Ascent premium account. SSSHHHHHHHH

I've spent three weeks getting Amex to pool my Green, Platinum Charge and Edge together in Ascent Premium and it can be done. Fairly sure it's a manual process, but don't let them fool you into believing that because they're two different portfolio types, it's not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back