Please Explain | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Please Explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE TRIMMER

Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
103
Flights
My Map
Doing a round the world trip, on Qantas (QF) MEL-JFK -LHR-OSL-PRG-CDG-LHR-NRT-PVG-SYD-MEL , could it be possible for someone to explain how to maximise FF points or am I better off doing the AA Platinum Challenge? I believe that by doing this, I can gain OneWorld Sapphire status, or am I better off joining the Qantas Club?
 

Tiki

Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
479
To get an AA Platinum challenge, you need to book MEL-JFK-LHR in AA or the AA codeshare on QF metal.
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
Tiki said:
To get an AA Platinum challenge, you need to book MEL-JFK-LHR in AA or the AA codeshare on QF metal.
No QF metal JFK-LHR. :p

Another thing to note with AAdvantage - you cannot fly BA transatlantic flights between the US and Europe or you won't earn anything. Thus JFK-LHR also has to be on AA.

If this is an xONEx, remember that you can backtrack as much as you like (subject to restrictions between certain cities) or fly more flights than necessary and this can be a handy way to maximise your miles.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
What is the fare basis for this - is it a DONE4? Are you willing to do some unusal flights and routings to maximise this? Which class of service are you booked into?

Sorry for the inquisition - that sort of stuf just helps s us give some direction and advice. I assume you are wanting to stop on at the locations listed?
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
QF009 said:
Another thing to note with AAdvantage - you cannot fly BA transatlantic flights between the US and Europe or you won't earn anything. Thus JFK-LHR also has to be on AA.
Or do what I do and go via BGI ;)
 

davocns

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
42
Hello all, have been reading this thread about AA Plat.Challenge- if you can help Trimmer ,perhaps someone can let me know if I'm on the right track as well. My partner is about to head to the US - has tickets booked AA flight numbers and is AA FF(minimal miles) and QF FF (bronze). The routing is CNS-BNE-LAX-LAS-DFW-MSP-GFK-MSP-DFW-PDX-LAX-BNE-CNS ,mileage totals approx 21000 miles.Departing 14 June, is this OK to register Plat Challenge with AA, and also are points earned as well? This trip will become a regular thing probably every 3-4 months.Thank you for any/all advice given.
 

davocns

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
42
Hello - have been reading this thread re AA Plat Challenge. Along with Trimmer,could someone let me know if I'm on the right track. My partner is US bound next week (14th), is AA FF (minimal miles) and QF FF (bronze) - tickets are booked with flights coded AA, routing is CNS-BNE-LAX-LAS-DFW-MSP-GFK-MSP-DFW-PDX-LAX-BNE-CNS ( approx 22000 miles) is this suitable for the AA Plat.Challenge ? AA FF number is logged on the booking. I'm not sure of the fare basis at this point. This will be a regular trip -maybe every 3 -4 months. Are points still earned with AA or is it simply a matter of status level that is gained?
Thanks guys for any and all advice.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,786
Flights
My Map
davocns said:
Hello - have been reading this thread re AA Plat Challenge. Along with Trimmer,could someone let me know if I'm on the right track. My partner is US bound next week (14th), is AA FF (minimal miles) and QF FF (bronze) - tickets are booked with flights coded AA, routing is CNS-BNE-LAX-LAS-DFW-MSP-GFK-MSP-DFW-PDX-LAX-BNE-CNS ( approx 22000 miles) is this suitable for the AA Plat.Challenge ? AA FF number is logged on the booking. I'm not sure of the fare basis at this point. This will be a regular trip -maybe every 3 -4 months. Are points still earned with AA or is it simply a matter of status level that is gained?
Thanks guys for any and all advice.
AA miles are earned when using AAdvantage FF program. In many cases, you can earn more AA miles that QF points for the same flights (can work the other way as well depending on the flights) and in most cases the number of AA miles needed for an award ticket is less than the number of QF FF points needed for the same award, especially if looking for awards in premium cabins.

You need to be booked on the AA flight number for a flight to count towards the Platinum challenge. Once the challenge is completed you earn 100% bonus miles for all eligible flights (all OneWorld flights and some partner airlines flights), while with QF you need to get to Platinum status to earn 100% status bonus and its only for QF, AA and BA flight numbers. So once the challenge is complete, you can use QF flight numbers trans-Pacific if you like. Note that some cheaper economy fares using QF flight number will earn less AA miles than if using the AA flight number for the same flight and fare basis.

So yes, the AA Plat Challenge does seem like a good option for someone undertaking such flights. Just remember that you cannot use AA miles to upgrade a QF-operated flight.
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
simongr said:
Or do what I do and go via BGI ;)
Or YVR. :p
CX conveniently has a JFK-YVR flight. Connections from CX to BA might not be the best if you aren't intending to visit YVR though.

But yes BGI would be a pretty neat place to go via. Has an exotic ring to it. :D
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
davocns said:
Hello - have been reading this thread re AA Plat Challenge. Along with Trimmer,could someone let me know if I'm on the right track. My partner is US bound next week (14th), is AA FF (minimal miles) and QF FF (bronze) - tickets are booked with flights coded AA, routing is CNS-BNE-LAX-LAS-DFW-MSP-GFK-MSP-DFW-PDX-LAX-BNE-CNS ( approx 22000 miles) is this suitable for the AA Plat.Challenge ? AA FF number is logged on the booking. I'm not sure of the fare basis at this point. This will be a regular trip -maybe every 3 -4 months. Are points still earned with AA or is it simply a matter of status level that is gained?
Thanks guys for any and all advice.
You will need to call the AA FF number (in the US) to register for a challenge. If she/he is flying after 16 July then the benefit of the challenge will be longer. However if your partner isnt going to maintain the level of travel in the long run then they will drop down to gold status (equivalent of to QF Silver). What cabin class is your partner in?

Also for that pattern of travel would a RTW ticket actually be cheaper? A oneworld explorer for example? I certainly know that for the direct Oz-US-Oz flights that RTW is cheaper for me in business class on oneowlrd.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
simongr said:
You will need to call the AA FF number (in the US) to register for a challenge. If she/he is flying after 16 July then the benefit of the challenge will be longer. However if your partner isnt going to maintain the level of travel in the long run then they will drop down to gold status (equivalent of to QF Silver). What cabin class is your partner in?
16 June is the date where the change in expiry occurs

Dave
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Ooops - that what comes of replying at 5AM.... I was debating in my head which one it was - ha doriginally thought it would be June but flip flopped...
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
davocns said:
Hello all, have been reading this thread about AA Plat.Challenge- if you can help Trimmer ,perhaps someone can let me know if I'm on the right track as well. My partner is about to head to the US - has tickets booked AA flight numbers and is AA FF(minimal miles) and QF FF (bronze). The routing is CNS-BNE-LAX-LAS-DFW-MSP-GFK-MSP-DFW-PDX-LAX-BNE-CNS ,mileage totals approx 21000 miles.Departing 14 June, is this OK to register Plat Challenge with AA, and also are points earned as well? This trip will become a regular thing probably every 3-4 months.Thank you for any/all advice given.
The challenge is easy to do on that and 3 those a year will easily maintain Platinum status in the future. Starting challenge on 1st June ( so that it covers the 14th ) will mean that status is valid until 29 Feb 2008, so he will have to do another trip or 2 by end of year to maintain status for next year. If he's doing one every 3-4 months then that shouldnt be an issue.

If he doesnt have plans to do more trips this year, then find out what booking class he is in and which of the flights are before the 16th June and can work out whether he can start the challenge on the 16th June and thereby ensure status for next year

Dave
 

davocns

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
42
Thanks guys for your advice. My partners flights have now been bought forward to 12 June (can't be avoided). Will contact AA tonight and register for the challenge!
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
davocns said:
Thanks guys for your advice. My partners flights have now been bought forward to 12 June (can't be avoided). Will contact AA tonight and register for the challenge!
Do check the booking class 1st; depending on the booking class , it is possible that the flights in his itinerary that are after the 16th June will be sufficient to complete the challenge , in which case it would be worth starting the challenge on the 16th

Check the booking class for the AA sectors:

if they are booked in G,Q,N,O or S class then start the challenge as from 1 June since these only earn 0.5 points per mile

if they are booked in H, K, M, L, W, V, B, Y , then check the mileage of the flights that occur from the 16th June and if the mileage is 10,000 or more, then the challenge can be completed on those sectors and guarantee Platinum status until Feb 09

Dave
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,778
Messages
1,858,414
Members
48,608
Latest member
NEC180
Top