Platinum restaurant benefit - USE THE CARD!

shuuy

Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Gold
Oneworld
Emerald
Star Alliance
Gold
Lovely dinner at Icebergs.
They brought a metal card at the table to scan a QR code to pay for dinner (qlub.io).

I paid using Apple Pay. Amex said "third-party processor, doesn't count". No $200 benefit for me.

Oops. And I'm running out of time to use the benefit this year (ie 6 hours, can't buy a gift-card).

Any other thoughts on how to get value today?

Beware!

Lovely dinner at Icebergs.
They brought a metal card at the table to scan a QR code to pay for dinner (qlub.io).

I paid using Apple Pay. Amex said "third-party processor, doesn't count". No $200 benefit for me.

Oops. And I'm running out of time to use the benefit this year (ie 6 hours, can't buy a gift-card).

Any other thoughts on how to get value today?

Beware!
Hmm that is odd .. what prints out on your Amex account/statement i.e. what company name?

Hmm that is odd .. what prints out on your Amex account/statement i.e. what company name?

Amex staetment is Qlub.io for the dinner.

Separately, a different transaction that paid for a gift card on the website - said Icebergs

Should I escalate?

Last edited:
ahh sorry .. didn't realize it was a gift card ..no your cooked unfortunately.

Other options for you:

1) Merivale wine shop online: https://merivale.com/the-bottle-shop/
2) Simon Johnson shop online: SIMON JOHNSON – Purveyor of Quality Food
3) other option is to go in to one of the restaurants and buy a gift card but ensure they are charging not through a 3rd party (obviously given your recent experience)

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I paid for the dinner in full using my Amex Platinum (apple pay) in person.

Does the merivale online wine shop work??

Thanks - don't think the Merivale Bottle Shop online exists anymore... (only gift cards?)

So does ApplePay count as a ‘third party’ processor? Reason why I ask is that spend categories are still recognized when spending at recognized category merchants with ApplePay. In which case, I might start carrying my wallet again. Especially as Amex are playing that card for SUB qualification spend on my US cards.

I paid using Apple Pay at Meat and Wine Co and it was counted towards the benefit. This was in Melbourne.

So does ApplePay count as a ‘third party’ processor? Reason why I ask is that spend categories are still recognized when spending at recognized category merchants with ApplePay. In which case, I might start carrying my wallet again. Especially as Amex are playing that card for SUB qualification spend on my US cards.
Never had any problem using Apple Pay with Amex for dining credits or anything else. Never carry a physical card anymore (which can be an issue checking into hotels who want to swipe a phtsical card for extras on check in.)

The issue is that OP assumed (which most would do) that swiping/apple paying their card at the restaurant would trigger the dining credit .. reasonable. Unbeknowst to them the restaurant routed the transaction via another payments processor as it was a gift card (as opposed to a typical dining bill). S**t happens is all you can say on this one .. be sure to get your 200$ worth on one of the online options (it turns out maybe only 1 now exists) .. before year's end!

I don't think "Apple Pay" is the third party payment processor in this instance : it's qlub.io.

I take it that you scanned a QR code, which was a website with an online menu, and then paid through that website on your phone. This is somewhat similar to ordering pick up through Uber Eats (though you're eating in).
To qualify for the credit, you needed to physically tap/insert your phone or card on the restaurants eftpos machine.

I don't think "Apple Pay" is the third party payment processor in this instance : it's qlub.io.

I take it that you scanned a QR code, which was a website with an online menu, and then paid through that website on your phone. This is somewhat similar to ordering pick up through Uber Eats (though you're eating in).
To qualify for the credit, you needed to physically tap/insert your phone or card on the restaurants eftpos machine.
That is correct .. the 'other' payments processor was qlub.io in this case .. not the restuarant's typical Micros terminal at the front of house they normally charge your card at.

This is typical Amex bs from the frontline staff. Take it to AFCA if you spent the money and met the t and cs.

This promo in Perth barely works. Meat and wine co and hearth are the only restaurants I have heard of crediting properly.

Petition doesn’t, and the Amex staff were useless.
Went to shadow and no credit still. Wil go to AFCA after a week.

I had used Apple pay more than once for the restaurant benefit and was able to get credit both the times. I don't see any issue , however please wait till the transaction moves from pending to posted status before escalating any further.

However as a precaution reach out to Platinum Customer care and log a request to have it in their records.

This is correct and explained why OP didn’t get the dinning credit.

Is there any way for this to work in Australia via online payment at these merchants ? Gift cards etc?

This is typical Amex bs from the frontline staff. Take it to AFCA if you spent the money and met the t and cs.

This promo in Perth barely works. Meat and wine co and hearth are the only restaurants I have heard of crediting properly.

Petition doesn’t, and the Amex staff were useless.
Went to shadow and no credit still. Wil go to AFCA after a week.
Redeemed mine at Petition in November via Apple Pay and credit was received.

My Alex hotel/shadow wine bar credit still didn’t work.
No idea why these things work for some and not others. Amex also make if near impossible to complain asynchronously. Need to sit on chat

Back