Platinum Charge - New card welcome package

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkr

Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Gold
Just wanted to see what I should be expecting as a new Platinum Charge cardholder in the initial "welcome" package.

Was approved for the PC a few weeks back, and ended up waiting almost 2 weeks for delivery with no cards arriving. Followed up with AmEx who provided the DHL shipping waybills, showed they shipped from Sydney, delivery failed (no delivery attempted based on doorbell camera footage), cards sat in a depot for a week then returned to Sydney. DHL said the delivery address looked like it was a mix of my suburb/postcode/state and the card manufacturer's street address, so they made it to my town, but the street address didn't exist and couldn't be delivered and were being returned to the sender. Called AmEx again and they cancelled the initial cards (which were returned to Idemia, who make and send the metal cards for AmEx), and had replacements re-issued and sent. The cards arrived today, and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was more than 2 pieces of paper (Titled "Your new Platinum Card" - with card affixed, and "Make the most of your Platinum Card Membership") in a basic envelope. I just got supps delivered for my Explorer that had far more info and documentation than the PC I received...

Looking at some PC unboxing videos on Youtube, U.S. cards come in a wooden box with all the card financial details, benefits, T&Cs etc.

Has anyone recently applied for the PC as a new card? What did you get in the "welcome package"??

... Has anyone recently applied for the PC as a new card? What did you get in the "welcome package"??
Not recently, as I got my Platinum Charge card several years ago. Just an envelope delivered to my PO Box with an enclosed letter.

May have had some promotional cards with it, or else that came later. Nothing special. Since then, AMEX replaced it with a heavier card.

Not sure of your expectations as far as a welcome goes. It’s just another card.

Maybe the Black (titanium) card will come with the bells and whistles.

Edit: Card benefits are detailed on the web

Last edited:
Not sure of your expectations as far as a welcome goes. It’s just another card.

Not sure what my expectations were either. Something probably between what U.S. cards get and what I got (An envelope and 2 pieces of paper). I'm happy working out the benefits etc online, but I actually expected a lot more financial info and T&Cs of the card, which did come with my partners Explorer supp card.

but it was more than 2 pieces of paper (Titled "Your new Platinum Card" - with card affixed, and "Make the most of your Platinum Card Membership") in a basic envelope. I just got supps delivered for my Explorer that had far more info and documentation than the PC I received...

I can confirm that it will be more than just a paper envelope as I got that in a proper box which actually was quite good. Got the card in Sep 2019 , so can say not so long ago.... Don't have the box at the moment , will try to find it and post the image here.

I can confirm that it will be more than just a paper envelope as I got that in a proper box which actually was quite good. Got the card in Sep 2019 , so can say not so long ago.... Don't have the box at the moment , will try to find it and post the image here.

Yep, and each supp cardholder also gets a box with their card (albeit a smaller one compared to the primary cardholder).

Similar to what the Americans get (FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card), except:
- No faux-wood finish (it's all grey, and the little tray holding your card is a fold-out "cover" built into the box)
- The "flash cards" have different content

Sounds like you got the replacement card envelope

That's what I suspected. At the end of the day, I can find all the benefits stuff easily online, and happy less junk is generated, but thought I'd get more specific financial/T&C details.

Reactions: DC3
You absolutely got the replacement card pack.

I get where you are coming from. Some other members didn't though lol. I would really have requested they send a welcome pack, not a replacement card.

... I would really have requested they send a welcome pack, not a replacement card.

... and, complete with all the bells and whistles .... 😀

As it was a replacement card, because the original went missing, then I would guess that it comes as a replacement pack (which was delivered)

... and, complete with all the bells and whistles .... 😀

As it was a replacement card, because the original went missing, then I would guess that it comes as a replacement pack (which was delivered)
Yep.. I mean it costs them nothing and they should have realised that it was UNDELIVERED and RETURNED to them. I mean for $1450..... Doesn't take much to connect the dots that they should have sent it out in a brand new welcome pack. I wouldn't have been impressed.

Yep.. I mean it costs them nothing and they should have realised that it was UNDELIVERED and RETURNED to them. I mean for $1450..... Doesn't take much to connect the dots that they should have sent it out in a brand new welcome pack. I wouldn't have been impressed.

Unless it comes in a sold gold, diamond encrusted box, then I’d concentrate on getting the spend done for the bonus points.

Edit: Also, please don’t shout, with caps lock. We get it.

Unless it comes in a sold gold, diamond encrusted box, then I’d concentrate on getting the spend done for the bonus points.

Edit: Also, please don’t shout, with caps lock. We get it.
Different people different ideas. Nothing wrong with either.

Got ya re caps. I'll use bold next time ;).

Reactions: DC3
Got mine today. Came in a box (no wooden stand inside) had the card presented beautifully and all benefit brochures and T&C behind it.

20200206_193413.jpg20200206_193425.jpg20200206_193449.jpg

I also had the similar pack when I got the card

Last edited:
Got mine today. Came in a box (no wooden stand inside) had the card presented beautifully and all benefit brochures and T&C behind it ...
I guess the main thing is that you have received the card.

Edit: Now to do the spend. :)

Another data point here as I am encountering the same issue.

Applied Monday, 3 Feb and still hadn't received the card as of yesterday. Called AMEX to chase up where the card is , but apparently that simple request required me to be transferred three times and re-explain the issue each time. One agent insisted I needed to keep waiting saying it would take "7-10 business days" but I pushed back several times that if that's the case, they need to update the approval e-mail and SMS as both state 5-7. The third agent finally bothered to look at the sending history.

Card sent by DHL, allegedly 3 delivery attempts to my residence but no attempt notification cards left whatsoever. Card then sent back.

AMEX issuing a new card and sending to my workplace. Based on the automated email I receive calling it a "replacement card", I assume I won't be receiving the welcome pack. Doesn't really phase me and will confirm when I finally receive the thing, but as noted, there seems to be some common sense lacking here (not to mention the 29 minutes I spent on the phone last night for such a simple request).

- DHL is fabulously speedy, but it doesn't do a lick of good when signature required for delivery and AMEX is sending Platinum cards to people's home billing addresses without warning them they'll need to be present and using a courier that can't be bothered to leave an attempt notification calling card (had I at least received that, I could have called in a week ago).

- Better yet, just provide the tracking number to the customer from the outset.

- If you know a customer hasn't received their initial card, send a replacement pack, not just a card.

End of the day a luxury problem, but for $1,450/year for a charge card, it is a luxury. I'll survive, though it's been a bit of a bummer having to wait (and now potentially over another weekend) before booking hotels for several upcoming trips.

ETA: I guess I've become "that guy" whose first post is a whinge; long time lurker, first time poster -- promise to complain less in future. ;)

I am in the same boat
Approved
Waited 10 days and found out that the card had been sent to my address but NSW not my state
Anyway I spoke to Amex and the guy said he will send out a new welcome pack too so it may be something you can get
DHL was useless too... don’t know why they don’t send a tracking like every other company

Hope you get it soon. Perhaps I'll follow up for the Welcome Pack if I don't receive it if the "unlocked" platinum features online don't set out how to set up all of the benefits clearly.

I'm travelling Monday so looks increasingly unlikely I'll have my card by then. The tracking number they provided me yesterday turned out to be for the initial card that was returned, and when I called in this morning to follow up for the correct tracking number of the replacement, they came back after a lengthy hold to tell me their system is glitchy today and they can't access it.

A bit of a comedy of errors at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back