Platinum Card Free QF Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Just received a letter from AMEX today to say that with the renewal of my Platinum Credit Card they are amending the destinations that the flight can be redeemed for.

Essentially for folks in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra & Adelaide you will no longer we able to redeem flights to Perth. However what's interesting is that for people in Perth they can still redeem flights to Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney but not Brisbane and Canberra.

Knew it was too good to last. I wonder what the changes will be in 2007:mad:

Kiwi Flyer said:
Already discussed in this thread.

You're right.

I did go looking for a thread covering this development but didn't see one in it's own right and therefore took it to be that it hadn't come up yet:oops:

At least they're writing to us now rather than just hiding it on the website.

May just write back a nice, but firm letter telling them where to shove the card :D

I just this week used my Amex Platinum card flight PER-SYD-PER and got back to the letter from Amex regarding the changes. I, too wondered how long it would last.

It's still an OK deal for someone either living in Perth and mainly wanting to go to SYD or MEL, or someone from those places wanting to visit Perth every year. But from the outset I couldn't see that it offered real value to anyone outside that range.

I'm cancelling mine anyway as I took out the Ultimate card which appeared soon after the Platinum launch. Unlike the Platinum, the Ultimate flicks all points straight into the user's QF account.

Is that the Qantas Ultimate card? Don't you have to purchase from Qantas each year before you can claim the free flight?

I'm having a touch time deciding which card to apply for. The Qantas Premium gives the travel insurance etc for $95 + $30 additional card. A free domestic flight isn't worth another $270 is it? Am I missing something?
The Rewards Maximiser seems overpriced at $192 + $36 without insurance etc, but the first year is free. Too many options!!!

I am in the same boat re cards - really unsure what to do. I have the standard Amex Gold Charge card which I like because of its flexibility - i.e. I dont have to worry about putting $5K of flights on there like I would with a credit card and credit card limit.... mind you I am not impressed with the 1:1 points deal to QF - but again I am currently putting about $4K a month through the card so the points are racking up anyway :)

I also want a charge rather than a credit card as I like the discipline of paying it off each month...

Edit - having rechecked the Amex site I still think the charge card is the card for me - $130 per annum - just the extra $80 for ascent is a stinger :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back