Platinum AMEX Renewal during covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

Intern
Just called Amex Platinum around what they are doing for customers during the current crisis since we are not able to use our benefits of the charge card and essentially they are not doing anything except double credits till the end of June. Apparently that shows that they care about their platinum charge card customers. WOW Pi was left speechless after 20 years of being a platinum card holder they have decided to charge a fee for providing nothing. What have other people received as feedback From Amex. I’ll essentially lose 2 travel credits if I cancel. Not really impressed.

People have been discussing this in other threads. Personally I'm happy with the double points and double credits offer.

People have been discussing this in other threads. Personally I'm happy with the double points and double credits offer.

Depends how long the travel bans run for. Hard to see anything other than local and NZ travel open up more later in the year which in my view does devalue some of the benefits of the card and thus the high fee. Also is of note Amex is offering a sign on bonus of 80k in points for new card members, not sure on the spend requirement. So bonus points is a nice start if you can still spend but in my view more compensation in retention points (if you like) similar to what card members o/s have received would be a nice goodwill gesture when some of the benefits are not able to be used.

Wasn't sure where to post this, a few threads cover a similar situation, but was reading Loyalty Lobby and saw they'd mentioned the double points/cashback was offered to a few markets. Further to this, they mentioned you can phone up for a retention/goodwill bonus and try your luck at some extra points. The two data points were Germany and Spain, however both of those were also doing the double points promotion, so it stands to reason that Australia might also offer some points, and this could be of particular interest to @tcillc who was commenting in another thread about their renewal being due soon. Care to try your luck and report back?

Wasn't sure where to post this, a few threads cover a similar situation, but was reading Loyalty Lobby and saw they'd mentioned the double points/cashback was offered to a few markets. Further to this, they mentioned you can phone up for a retention/goodwill bonus and try your luck at some extra points. The two data points were Germany and Spain, however both of those were also doing the double points promotion, so it stands to reason that Australia might also offer some points, and this could be of particular interest to @tcillc who was commenting in another thread about their renewal being due soon. Care to try your luck and report back?

The offer I got was 30,000 which combined with double cashback is equivalent to $300. No fee reduction offered but they've promised to look in to my account and get back to me (hopefully with a better offer) in the next few days.

The offer I got was 30,000 which combined with double cashback is equivalent to $300. No fee reduction offered but they've promised to look in to my account and get back to me (hopefully with a better offer) in the next few days.
While not spectacular, that's better than nothing I suppose. Was this offered as an incentive to keep the card, or goodwill because of the fact you can't use the majority of the card benefits right now? Just trying to gauge whether or not it's worth myself asking (my anniversary isn't till January so I have no annual fee due anytime soon).

While not spectacular, that's better than nothing I suppose. Was this offered as an incentive to keep the card, or goodwill because of the fact you can't use the majority of the card benefits right now? Just trying to gauge whether or not it's worth myself asking (my anniversary isn't till January so I have no annual fee due anytime soon).
Offered to keep the card. I said it's too low and I'd cancel if there is no better offer on the table.

I was also offered to downgrade to one of the low fee/no fee cards (which I declined).

When was this offer made and when is/was your anniversary date?

Annual fee due next week. Rang them today and discussed cancelling and they offered 150k points if I stayed.

Now pondering whether to use points to pay the annual fee or cash.

How much did you guys put through your Amex Platinum card? My platinum card annual fee is due tomorrow and when I call up, the agent said they couldn't see any retention offer for me, not even 10k points. :(

Edit: My annual fee is only $1200 because of ICAA, perhaps that's why I am not getting a retention offer?

Last edited:
How much did you guys put through your Amex Platinum card? My platinum card annual fee is due tomorrow and when I call up, the agent said they couldn't see any retention offer for me, not even 10k points. :(

Edit: My annual fee is only $1200 because of ICAA, perhaps that's why I am not getting a retention offer?
Used to be 12 but is now an outrageous 1400.

Did everyone with here the Platinum Business Charge Card get the email about the automatic $800 account credit being applied to their account in June? Was a very welcome surprise, glad I didn't cancel it in April when due for renewal!

This combined with the annual fee reduction I requested brings the net annual fee for the card down from $1750 to -$50.

Hopefully this will extend to non business Plat Charge cards as well ... I'm due for renewal in early July.

I spoke to my Amex AM about this - looks like the double MR points (on both earn and redeem sides) and travel credit extension is all they are planning to offer on personal Plat Charge cards unfortunately.

I just re-read the email regarding Business Plat charge card - and they are also have an Amex Offer of 16x $20 account credits for PayPal purchases over $20. So another $320 potential value there.

I spoke to my Amex AM about this - looks like the double MR points (on both earn and redeem sides) and travel credit extension is all they are planning to offer on personal Plat Charge cards unfortunately.

I just re-read the email regarding Business Plat charge card - and they are also have an Amex Offer of 16x $20 account credits for PayPal purchases over $20. So another $320 potential value there.

Thanks, this would be poor as far as I'm concerned, I also booked some flights to Fiji on Virgin for December for me and Mrs R, this was before they went into administration. They were booked using points through Amex Travel so this will be another issue I need to sort out.

Annual fee due next week. Rang them today and discussed cancelling and they offered 150k points if I stayed.

Now pondering whether to use points to pay the annual fee or cash.

Do you mind sharing how much was the monthly spend on your Platinum card , assuming it was a personal charge card and not business platinum charge card. I have renewal due in 8 weeks and working on the strategy before I speak to them. Thanks

Edit - I realised you actually answered that already. Was it 12k through all months or more months. Mine is around 5k but not sure if they want to provide any retention offer.

Do you mind sharing how much was the monthly spend on your Platinum card , assuming it was a personal charge card and not business platinum charge card. I have renewal due in 8 weeks and working on the strategy before I speak to them. Thanks

Edit - I realised you actually answered that already. Was it 12k through all months or more months. Mine is around 5k but not sure if they want to provide any retention offer.

About $60K a year for last few years. Pretty well all on air fares and travel.

August, update
Summary: 150K points offered to renew card membership.

AmEx Plat Charge card Renewal (personal not business)
$1,450 membership renewal is this month. Spend is about $4K to $5K per month.
Had been plenty of overseas use in the past. (Not this year!)
Called concierge, spoke about lack of opportunity to use travel benefits, reduced income due Covid (Melbourne). Difficult to justify keeping the card.
Connected to account services (I think)
Discussed cancelling card...
150,000 AmEx points offered to keep the card.

I’ve accepted offer.

I did expect to be offered some sort of incentive to retain the card, but didn’t think I‘d be offered the full 150K. Pleasantly surprised.
I’ll leave these points sitting in the AmEx box for now, then transfer to Qantas FF when/if there’s a transfer bonus on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back