Paypal is pointless | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Paypal is pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberlower

Am I the only one to just find out that PayPal payments do not attract FF points? Madder than mad that this has never ben highlighted anywhere. have lost a ton of points.

mannej

AFF Supporter
In what regard?
I find that PayPal is useful in getting 1pt/$ paying for Telstra bills instead of the 0.5pts/$.

robd

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Am I the only one to just find out that PayPal payments do not attract FF points? Madder than mad that this has never ben highlighted anywhere. have lost a ton of points.
Which card are you referring to? Like mannej, I'm getting points on my cc paying utility bills.

Last edited:

whatmeworry

Established Member
I hooked up my zero annual fee AMEX to paypal and any bill doesn't accept AMEX or that attracts a surcharge is paid via paypal.

Mark3000

Flights
My Map
I've often wondered why paypal make it easy to pay with Amex. Do they get a special deal from Amex?

Mark3000

Flights
My Map
What is the pts earn structure with Paypal?
I thought it was the same as any normal spend with whatever credit card you chose to use.
Amblerlower has got me worried though, so I will have to check my statements.
I've been using Paypal as a way of using Amex and hopefully getting 1.5 point per dollar for merchants who only offer Visa/MC/Paypal. By going through paypal it often allows you to use Amex when the retailer website wouldn't have. It doesn't always work though, sometimes it comes up with an error saying "this merchant does not accept Amex"

Mark3000

Flights
My Map
Just double checked and paypal definitely does get points on a direct Amex.
This was on my old direct Amex where it got 1 point per dollar. I've switched to a CBA Diamond where I'm hoping it will get 1.5 points per dollar but haven't got the first statement yet so don't know for sure that it gets points for paypal

VPS

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I just had an OCD check - pay my Telstra Bill with Amex via Paypal (no CC surcharge) and points appear on my Westpac Amex

burmans

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I thought it was the same as any normal spend with whatever credit card you chose to use.
Amblerlower has got me worried though, so I will have to check my statements.
I've been using Paypal as a way of using Amex and hopefully getting 1.5 point per dollar for merchants who only offer Visa/MC/Paypal. By going through paypal it often allows you to use Amex when the retailer website wouldn't have. It doesn't always work though, sometimes it comes up with an error saying "this merchant does not accept Amex"
Have confirmed I get points for WBC SQ Amex so may vary by card.

J-G

I just had an OCD check - pay my Telstra Bill with Amex via Paypal (no CC surcharge) and points appear on my Westpac Amex
I used to do this all the time, but recently Telstra has come to their senses and allows direct debit from CC with no surcharge, same points as Paypal on a Big4 AMEX. Makes it easier for me as I often used to forget to pay on time!

mushez

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
AMEX does cost more to people receiving via paypal, they just don't know it cause they haven't read the fine print.

AMEX can be opted out of as an option by someone with a paypal account for receiving payments. Most don't know they can or why they should.

The biggest risk to someone not opting out of AMEX via paypal is when a payment is reversed, the commission is not. Then it a around .4% more in commission than visa.

koonyaflyer

AMEX does cost more to people receiving via paypal, they just don't know it cause they haven't read the fine print.

AMEX can be opted out of as an option by someone with a paypal account for receiving payments. Most don't know they can or why they should.

The biggest risk to someone not opting out of AMEX via paypal is when a payment is reversed, the commission is not. Then it a around .4% more in commission than visa.
Can you clarify which PayPal product you are referring to? The PayPal fees vary by country of issue of the credit card, but not by Card Issuer according to their Terms and Conditions. I have tried searching about how to opt out of a card type. I thought the concept of PayPal was that the seller does not now the specifics of the funding source?

mushez

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Can you clarify which PayPal product you are referring to? The PayPal fees vary by country of issue of the credit card, but not by Card Issuer according to their Terms and Conditions. I have tried searching about how to opt out of a card type. I thought the concept of PayPal was that the seller does not now the specifics of the funding source?
Will have a look at it later/tomorrow when in the office.

I have got a paypal business account in NZ as well as one in AU and have around 80% of our cash flow coming in paid via paypal.

I know I had the issue of AMEX and paypal in January and after much consideration elected not to refuse AMEX payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9