Paying VicRoads rego using AmEx

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathNerd

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Hi all - a question that's been nagging at me for a while, and thought the AFF brains trust might have a nifty solution...

VicRoads registration, for those in the know, is around the $800 - $900 mark, depending on metro/regional and type of vehicle.

The only way to pay this (using a card), is by using a Visa or Mastercard, and that too, with a surcharge of 0.54%. A measly amount, but having a surcharge for Visa/MC is preposterous, I would expect this to be the case for AmEx (for which I'd happily pay a reasonable surcharge as the points are certainly worth it).

Anyway - is there a way to whack this large expenditure onto an AmEx somehow? I've been using my Coles Rewards MasterCard for this payment for a few years now, and whilst the flybuys points are nice, I'd much rather a nice stack of SQ KF rather than getting $10 off at Coles every now and then.

There's no way to PostBillPay the amount, by the way.

Anything I'm missing? Or am I just best off with sticking with my MC payment and forget about scrounging for AmEx MR? Thanks all.

Cheers @Cruiser Elite & @levelnine - I remember having used Sniip in a past life but that's a great suggestion. Copping the 1.5% fee would well be worth it for building up some points.

Cheers guys!

Yep, sniip. If you need a referral……..? But give it to cruiser who was first up responding.

on another note re Sniip. Do utilities count as a spend for Citibank/virgin money? I presume it does, as it is Sniip on the statement, not council X. Something to note!

Anything I'm missing? Or am I just best off with sticking with my MC payment

I thought the Coles cards excludes earning on government related transactions anyway.

Does anyone know or can confirm if transactions made using zip and or sniip count towards minimum spend requirement for the bonus points on Amex?
I have Qantas ultimate.
Thanks

zip don't support amex to payback, only Sniip support amex also count towards minimum spend requirement for the bonus points.

Do utilities count as a spend for Citibank/virgin money? I presume it does, as it is Sniip on the statement, not council X. Something to note!

Yes, I've used it towards the minimum spend on both Citi Rewards and Virgin Money cards to pay local council bills, and it counted (and earned everyday points too). I did make sure to use the actual BPAY details though through Sniip, rather than the 'Sniip' QR code on the bill which is a separate partnership between Sniip and those specific billers, just to be sure.

Does anyone know or can confirm if transactions made using zip and or sniip count towards minimum spend requirement for the bonus points on Amex?
I have Qantas ultimate.
Thanks
Short answer: yes. All Sniip payments earn at full points too, even if the payee is government-related.

For anything without PostBillPay, paying large bills under $2000 using zip pay (for just $2.50) is best for MC/Visa but Sniip seems to be the most popular solution for Amex cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back