Passenger believes they are entitled to va Lounge after flight delayed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mogul, Aug 2, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. Mogul

Mogul Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Syd
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    #2 BAM1748, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    While Virgin claim the passenger was abusive, I would say dealing with airlines brings that out in people.

Virgin should have just let them in the lounge. They want to be a full service airline they need to act like one.

While Virgin say the passenger was a problem I don't see anywhere where Virgin says there was a 5 hour delay on a domestic flight! Surely they could do better, get them underway to Sydney or somewhere and people feel like an effort has been made.

I have been on a failed plane with QF domestic in Mildura and 2 hours later there was another plane arriving and got us the hell out of Dodge. And here we are talking the nations capital.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ralphie

Ralphie Intern

Dec 20, 2011
    It’s very easy to get frustrated when delayed, I understand that, and I get that having a five month old would be difficult, but thinking that a five hour delay makes you worthy of not only taxi vouchers and/or lounge access but a news article comes across as dramatic and entitled to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Hvr

Hvr Senior Member

Jun 27, 2007
    MEL
    The parental privilege attitude. I have a child therefore I'm entitled.

CBR AP has a full range of facilities so no need for free lounge access.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. andyhui01

andyhui01 Member

Nov 17, 2015
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Do this once, pax tells everyone about how they got into the lounge. Second time round, their friends are asking. 6 months later, some social media sharing and half the plane is asking for lounge access for a delayed flight.

If VA wanted to attempt this, a rule needs to be in place. ie delay of 300 Minutes or more for a child less than 5 years. Then you have the problem of a couple with a child 5 years and 1 day with a delay of 280 minutes abusing the staff. You will end up with bad publicity either way.

Looking at the big picture, you are better off just refusing, giving vouchers and offering apologies and sympathy.

I don't see how a 5hr delay with Taxi's and voucher is a "Saga"

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    Wait until you've been on a private train delayed in Sydney and the Sydney Trains CEO is on board in the bar car as well and phones train control to find out what the delay is........that was a good I'm entitled phone call with instant response. :)

Anyone think it's time for a train trip.......I'm working on a couple of ideas.

• Like Like x 5
  7. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    I don't disagree, but sometimes airlines need to be a bit more pragmatic about where things might end up.

8. Denali

Denali Established Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sydney suburbs
    The 'We're the only family, give me something that 150+ other people are not entitled to' annoyed me.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  9. andyhui01

andyhui01 Member

Nov 17, 2015
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Agreed. But maybe all of us travel too much to know a 5 hour delay isn't a "saga".

10. Hvr

Hvr Senior Member

Jun 27, 2007
    MEL
    Oh yes!!!
    Lots of notice so I can plan would be awesome.

11. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Wait until your flight to Europe gets cancelled just before departure from Adelaide International airport at around 11 pm. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    I'd agree international and foreign countries yes, but domestic well maybe not. Over the years I've had delays where I could have driven to the destination in a shorter time one of which was a 5 hour delay where I could have been ther with my feet up and scotch in hand in a lessor time than than the delay if I had just gone and hired a car at the airport and driven there.

13. BAM1748

BAM1748 Senior Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Sydney
    Will keep you updated, how does a 2 day trip sound? Only west of the Blue Mountains but I need half a shift to do shunting.......

• Like Like x 1
  14. SOPOOR

SOPOOR Established Member

Jan 12, 2009
    How about this for unentitled.

Just bumped into a honey mooning couple from Asia. They were going to America for their honey for a week.
    The airline called them while on the way to their airport to tell them their flight was cancelled.
    So they got on their phones and booked a flight to Bali that same day.
    They were annoyed but grateful they could go anywhere Obviously paid big premiums for flights and hotels they didn't seem to too bothered

15. SOPOOR

SOPOOR Established Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I was working at a restauanrt and the wait for food was very long. And this guy comes up to me and says "can't you see our wives are pregnant?? We've been waiting for over X minutes!"

I bit my tongue but felt like saying "well you shouldn't have got her pregnant!"

• Like Like x 3
  16. Denali

Denali Established Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sydney suburbs
    #16 Denali, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    I am going to say, growing a baby needs food energy and personally, I don't mess with pregnant women that needs food. This one I would give a pass, the guy might have been in fear of his life for not getting home fast enough with the food.

17. flying_duck

flying_duck Member

May 5, 2014
    BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    She wasn’t entitled to anything that isn’t in the terms and policies, and certainly doesn’t get a free ride into the lounge because she managed to birth a child.

If this occurring was so traumatic to the child she should have made alternate arrangements and had an emergency fund. The child is her problem, not ours or the airlines.

Sick of entitlement from families. Sick of people pretending they’re not acting like psychopaths to airline staff.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. davidj

davidj Member

May 9, 2009
    She looks pretty happy in those photos. Can't see what the problem is?

• Like Like x 1
  19. GPH

GPH Established Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brisbane Bayside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    We had a 10 hour delay on a QF from BNE-SIN , we were WP so lounge not an issue.
    All pax on board (including us) were given vouchers, we gave ours away, and for good measure offers to “older” pax lounge guest spots. We saw them “Stagger” out when final boarding was called. They had made full use of the facilities and were very relaxed (lol)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ozjuice

ozjuice Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Noosa QLD
    Could have been a lot worse.....they could have been dragged off an american flight and beaten to a pulp. ;-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1