Question - Part-trip travel insurance? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Part-trip travel insurance?

Bell21

My 15 year old is on an overseas school trip later this year, and on the return leg, is leaving the tour to join us for a holiday. The travel insurance his school provides ends of course when he leaves their tour, and I'm struggling to find travel insurance that will just cover him from the moment he leaves the school tour until he returns to Australia with us a few weeks later.

I'm trying to avoid having to take out cover for him that starts from the moment he leaves Australia with the school tour, as he is already covered by the school for the first (extended) part of his trip.

I've spoken to a few travel insurers, and they will only cover him from the date he leaves Australia.

Any ideas of insurers who might provide the sort of one-way cover I'm looking for?

Hvr

AFF Supporter
Have you spoken to the insurer being used by the school and seeing if you can extend the cover until your child returns home?

I would imagine there would be several students who would be in the same situation.

I've never heard of travel insurance starting whilst the insured part is overseas.

Bell21

Thanks, I've asked that question of the school but for various reasons, I'm not confident of getting anywhere with that

DC3

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
... he is already covered by the school for the first (extended) part of his trip. I've spoken to a few travel insurers, and they will only cover him from the date he leaves Australia ...
Sorry, but can't offer any other advice from what's already been posted. However, that's weird about policy start date. I take out coverage for myself as soon as I commit money (e.g., the fares, hotels) should I suffer an injury or other medical that would prevent me from starting the trip. Otherwise, fares, hotels payments may be gone unless refundable/cancellable.

Edit: I should mention that I take out annual multi-trip insurance, but that's not what you are after

Last edited:

DC3

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Sorry, but can't offer any other advice from what's already been posted. However, that's weird about policy start date. I take out coverage for myself as soon as I commit money (e.g., the fares, hotels) should I suffer an injury or other medical that would prevent me from starting the trip. Otherwise, fares, hotels payments may be gone unless refundable/cancellable.
Edit: I should mention that I take out annual multi-trip insurance, but that's not what you are after

JFi

Sorry, don't have any personal experiences but thought it's an interesting topic. I googled "travel insurance while overseas" and a few providers popped up. They are for people that forgot to get travel insurance and are already overseas and some policies had first 48 hours not covered while others had first 72 hours not covered.

Haven't really looked into the T&Cs (which I guess is a must for insurance!) but perhaps something like that will work for your case? Purchase the insurance while your son is overseas and then have it "start" a few days before you want the cover to begin?

Bell21

I'd suggest going directly to the actual insurer and if they agree getting it in writing.
That's what I'm intending but I'm unsure what cost will be although it seems unlikely I'm going to have much choice

Bell21

Sorry, don't have any personal experiences but thought it's an interesting topic. I googled "travel insurance while overseas" and a few providers popped up. They are for people that forgot to get travel insurance and are already overseas and some policies had first 48 hours not covered while others had first 72 hours not covered.

Haven't really looked into the T&Cs (which I guess is a must for insurance!) but perhaps something like that will work for your case? Purchase the insurance while your son is overseas and then have it "start" a few days before you want the cover to begin?
I hadn't thought of that - interesting angle - will give it some thought - thanks

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacklight72