*ONE* routing rules - help/confirmation sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTM1

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
471
Points
10
Hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

My sister is currently looking to book an explorer ticket from Israel.

Her current itinerary looks something like this:

TLV - MAD - SAO - SCL - ARI - SCL - SYD - MEL - PER - MEL - HKG - LHR

My questions:

1. The fare rules seem to suggest that TLV is part of Europe, so the lack of direct flights from Asia to Israel on OW carriers means that they can only get to europe and must make their own way back to TLV - is this correct ?

2. is the continent of origin counted in the number of continents counted ?

3. on the basis of this itinerary (and assuming the answer to 2 above to be yes), it appears to be a *ONE4. That would mean that the only room for extra side trips would be 3 more in Asia - is this correct ?

4. Other than (2) above, can anyone throw in some useful suggestions as to other mileage/trip maximisers based around this itinerary ?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,445
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
DTM1 said:
Hopefully someone can help me out with this question.

My sister is currently looking to book an explorer ticket from Israel.

Her current itinerary looks something like this:

TLV - MAD - SAO - SCL - ARI - SCL - SYD - MEL - PER - MEL - HKG - LHR

My questions:

1. The fare rules seem to suggest that TLV is part of Europe, so the lack of direct flights from Asia to Israel on OW carriers means that they can only get to europe and must make their own way back to TLV - is this correct ?
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Yes, Middle East (and that includes TLV) is part of Europe for OneWorld Explorer definitions. She has a total of 4 segments available in Europe, so will need to use two of them getting from and to a suitable inter-continental gateway such as London or Madrid. So just add a LHR-TLV on BA to the end of the itinerary.
DTM1 said:
2. is the continent of origin counted in the number of continents counted ?
Yes, as is any other continent that is transited even if using a single flight number such as QF29 MEL-LHR without a stopover in HKG, Asia still counts as a continent. So this listed itinerary includes Europe, South America, SW Pacific and Asia making it a 4-continent itinerary.
DTM1 said:
3. on the basis of this itinerary (and assuming the answer to 2 above to be yes), it appears to be a *ONE4. That would mean that the only room for extra side trips would be 3 more in Asia - is this correct ?
Yes, its a *ONE4. That means you have 4 sectors for each continent plus the inter-continental segments to a maximum of 20 segments for the itinerary.
DTM1 said:
4. Other than (2) above, can anyone throw in some useful suggestions as to other mileage/trip maximisers based around this itinerary ?
Well you cannot do MEL-PER-MEL and will need to return to MEL via ADL as there is a limit to one Australian trans-continental flight.
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

DTM1

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
471
Points
10
Thanks NM.

So does that mean that she still has 2 more available trips in Europe, even though it is her continent of origin ?

(ie she can fly HKG - CDG - LHR - TLV and still have 1 spare trip ?)

Does you comment re flight back from PER via ADL also mean that she would not have enough trips to manage that within the current itinerary ?
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,445
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
DTM1 said:
So does that mean that she still has 2 more available trips in Europe, even though it is her continent of origin ?

(ie she can fly HKG - CDG - LHR - TLV and still have 1 spare trip ?)
She has a total of 4 segments available in Europe. But she can only have a maximum of 2 stopovers in Europe and can only depart from Israel once. So yes, she can do TLV-MAD-...-CDG-LHR-TLV to use 3 of the maximum 4 segments in Europe. But she cannot depart again from Israel. The extra segment would need to be used before returning to TLV.
DTM1 said:
Does you comment re flight back from PER via ADL also mean that she would not have enough trips to manage that within the current itinerary ?
She has 4 segments available in SW Pacific. But only one of them can be one of the defined Aussie trans-continentals such as between MEl and PER. So she will need to use an extra segment and go SYD-MEL-PER-ADL-MEL for her total of 4 SWP segments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Community Statistics

Threads
87,410
Messages
2,142,579
Members
54,446
Latest member
mikegc
Top