NZ 101 must do's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Not sure where best to put this.

The Automobile Association has put together a listing of 101 user-rated must do's within New Zealand.

link here

Having been to/done well over 90 of these it looks like a great selection.
 
Last edited:

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Thanks for the link.

Should come in handy for my upcoming trip in January.
 
Using the S26 Wi-Fi Smart Plug you can easily convert your existing appliances into smart devices to be controlled remotely with your phone.

Takes just minutes to setup!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Of course there are also plenty of great places/activities not on the list, which after all is subjective.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
Points
305
Kiwi Flyer said:
Not sure where best to put this.

The Automobile Association has put together a listing of 101 user-rated must do's within New Zealand.

link here

Having been to/done well over 90 of these it looks like a great selection.
Hmmm....you have a definite lead over me as I think my count is around 20.
I picked up the booklet when I got my car registered.
(Edited to add Post 150!!!
 
Last edited:

TonyB

Intern
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
67
Points
0
Fantastic site, thanks for the link:D This will be a great resource when planning the next family holiday to NZ. I thought I would look up where I grew up but it came back with a "there are no 'to do's around here"...sounds about right:(
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
TonyB said:
Fantastic site, thanks for the link:D This will be a great resource when planning the next family holiday to NZ. I thought I would look up where I grew up but it came back with a "there are no 'to do's around here"...sounds about right:(

hmmm - and where might that be?
 

TonyB

Intern
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
67
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer said:
hmmm - and where might that be?

Taihape (middle of north island for those of you that are about to go back to the interactive map;) ). I think that it might have a sign there now claiming to be the 'Gumboot capital of the world"...how can that not make it to the list:confused: :confused: . No justice in this world I say. I did also spend several years in Wellington so I might check there for something to make me feel better.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Okay - I can understand better now.

The gorges in the area are nice, but there are better ones too. Best feature was probably the train trip but that looked like it won't be possible any more (and who knows how long the reprieve will last).

What is the name of the place where the cafe is in an old airplane?
 

TonyB

Intern
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
67
Points
0
I just learnt how to use the search function correctly:oops: and yipee, there are 3 'must do's' around Taihape:p . The NZ Rugby Museum, the Bridge to Nowhere (also known as the main road into Taihape) and the Whanganui National Park. All better now.
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
Points
305
Kiwi Flyer said:
Okay - I can understand better now.

The gorges in the area are nice, but there are better ones too. Best feature was probably the train trip but that looked like it won't be possible any more (and who knows how long the reprieve will last).

What is the name of the place where the cafe is in an old airplane?
Are you referring to the "Cookietime" DC3 Cafe on State Highway 1? :cool:
They have nice soup and a craft shop? and you can climb into the coughpit for photos and fun:mrgreen:
Is that on the 101 list?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Yes I am. IIRC it is somewhere near Taihape but isnt actually at Taihape.

No it is not on the list. Not everyone is plane crazy it seems. :p
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
Points
305
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yes I am. IIRC it is somewhere near Taihape but isnt actually at Taihape.

No it is not on the list. Not everyone is plane crazy it seems. :p
But they have photos of visiting members of the cast and crew of the LOTR!!!!:shock:
Ok every restaurant and cafe seems to have these photos in this country. I have not been to the 'Naki. Do they have photos of Tom in their restaurants and cafes?
 

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
Points
305
I am still looking in Welly restaurants and cafes to see where King Kong ate. No luck so far:(
Well I have finally finished all my reports that the techies seemed to do their best to stuff up. Only one in the building :(, contracting for the public service is interesting but they do let me indulge in AFF & FT so I cannot complain too much.:)
I am off to SYD tomorrow for a nice short holiday, birthday present to myself.
Next long weekend I may need to do some more of the 101s.:cool:
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,386
Points
1,065
I have done quite a few of the 101. NZ is an amazing place, and somewhere I can quite happily escape to for a weekend or longer.

Next time I'm back is late December, so spending a day in the Bay of Islands and North of Auckland. That will have a few more of the 101 sorted!

I'm trying to sort out another trip in March next year - fly into CHC, do the Greymouth train and then get to WLG and do the train back to AKL and fly home from there. The posts on FT about the trains' demise makes me want to do them sooner rather than missing out.

I'll get through the 101 eventually :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Top