NZ 101 must do's

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Flyer, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    #1 Kiwi Flyer, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
    Not sure where best to put this.

The Automobile Association has put together a listing of 101 user-rated must do's within New Zealand.

link here

Having been to/done well over 90 of these it looks like a great selection.

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Thanks for the link.

Should come in handy for my upcoming trip in January.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Of course there are also plenty of great places/activities not on the list, which after all is subjective.

4. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    #4 Altair, Oct 19, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
    Hmmm....you have a definite lead over me as I think my count is around 20.
    I picked up the booklet when I got my car registered.
    (Edited to add Post 150!!!

5. TonyB

TonyB Intern

Mar 20, 2006
    Perth
    Fantastic site, thanks for the link:D This will be a great resource when planning the next family holiday to NZ. I thought I would look up where I grew up but it came back with a "there are no 'to do's around here"...sounds about right:(

6. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    hmmm - and where might that be?

7. TonyB

TonyB Intern

Mar 20, 2006
    Perth
    Taihape (middle of north island for those of you that are about to go back to the interactive map;) ). I think that it might have a sign there now claiming to be the 'Gumboot capital of the world"...how can that not make it to the list:confused: :confused: . No justice in this world I say. I did also spend several years in Wellington so I might check there for something to make me feel better.

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Okay - I can understand better now.

The gorges in the area are nice, but there are better ones too. Best feature was probably the train trip but that looked like it won't be possible any more (and who knows how long the reprieve will last).

What is the name of the place where the cafe is in an old airplane?

9. TonyB

TonyB Intern

Mar 20, 2006
    Perth
    I just learnt how to use the search function correctly:oops: and yipee, there are 3 'must do's' around Taihape:p . The NZ Rugby Museum, the Bridge to Nowhere (also known as the main road into Taihape) and the Whanganui National Park. All better now.

10. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    Are you referring to the "Cookietime" DC3 Cafe on State Highway 1? :cool:
    They have nice soup and a craft shop? and you can climb into the cockpit for photos and fun:mrgreen:
    Is that on the 101 list?

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes I am. IIRC it is somewhere near Taihape but isnt actually at Taihape.

No it is not on the list. Not everyone is plane crazy it seems. :p

12. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    But they have photos of visiting members of the cast and crew of the LOTR!!!!:shock:
    Ok every restaurant and cafe seems to have these photos in this country. I have not been to the 'Naki. Do they have photos of Tom in their restaurants and cafes?

13. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
  14. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    I am still looking in Welly restaurants and cafes to see where King Kong ate. No luck so far:(
    Well I have finally finished all my reports that the techies seemed to do their best to stuff up. Only one in the building :(, contracting for the public service is interesting but they do let me indulge in AFF & FT so I cannot complain too much.:)
    I am off to SYD tomorrow for a nice short holiday, birthday present to myself.
    Next long weekend I may need to do some more of the 101s.:cool:

15. Leumas

Leumas Active Member

Jul 5, 2004
    The DC3 is at Mangaweka.

16. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have done quite a few of the 101. NZ is an amazing place, and somewhere I can quite happily escape to for a weekend or longer.

Next time I'm back is late December, so spending a day in the Bay of Islands and North of Auckland. That will have a few more of the 101 sorted!

I'm trying to sort out another trip in March next year - fly into CHC, do the Greymouth train and then get to WLG and do the train back to AKL and fly home from there. The posts on FT about the trains' demise makes me want to do them sooner rather than missing out.

I'll get through the 101 eventually :)