Notebook Power inflght

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by albatross710, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. albatross710

    albatross710 Established Member

    May 15, 2004
    Is there a standard plug for connecting to the seat power connection provided for using Notebook computers inflight? or do they just use the standard power connector?

    Searched on (as travelling wt+) but couldn't find any guidance.

    Any tips appreciated.

  2. AlwaysUpThere

    AlwaysUpThere Member

    Nov 25, 2004
    There are a few different types.

    The most common one requires an adaptor - Targus make them. Available at PC shops and Futy Free places. Once you have this adaptor, it should fit all. Around $70 or so. More expensive in-flight. They'll often lend you on if you in the pointy end.

    SQ's new seats have a standard 110V socket - the two parallel flat pegs as they have in the US/Japan. So any adaptor will work - no transformed required assuming your laptop can handle the juice.

    Tip: They say that charging on-board can damage your battery and suggest you take it out while using the on-board power. Myth? Don't know, but make your you save what your doing O F T E N !!
  3. albatross710

    albatross710 Established Member

    May 15, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

    I must admit it is the sort of info you'd expect to see on their website so you could be prepared - unless of course they liked selling $70 adapters in flight.

    I browsed over at and they list the various types of power socked for each aircraft. I'm now looking for "empower" adapter.
  4. markis10

    markis10 Veteran Member

    Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    The Targus Auto Air should do the trick for you and has the benefit of working in the car back home, on clearance at Officeworks at present.

Share This Page