No need to sign <$35 at some merchants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Have noticed the gradual implementation of not having to sign for Amex transactions < $35.

Places like McDonalds, Coles, Big W etc etc.

Makes transactions at Self-Serve checkouts Very simple with Amex. While there are concerns over fraudulent usage, it does mean I'll use my Amex more...

Not at Woolworths or Cabcharge - which are my common uses
Far prefer the Paypass $100 limit

Some supermarkets in the USA (such as Albertson's) don't require a signature for AMEX if under $50, and it makes doing a shop quite quick.

It's on trial at about 100 or so Coles Group stores, so you may see it at Coles, OfficeWorks, Kmart and Target.

(Been a while since I signed for my Amex at parking stations!)

I tried this out at Coles last night. Pretty much seamless. I just swiped the card and that was it. No need to touch the keypad at all.

I like this feature, and the $35 limit restricts the damage if you get separated from your card. But it does emphasise the need to call up and get the card deactivated immediately if you lose it. Would also be great if AMEX started issuing PIN numbers, so there'd be almost no need to sign at all.

My local Woolies now accepts Amex with a PIN ( I have an Earth Platinum card), no need to wait for someone to check the signature at the self serve checkouts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back