Nice wines I have drunk recently - Red or White | Page 452 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Nice wines I have drunk recently - Red or White

afro

Just trying out a new glassware, very clear light red , I can see through the wine and read my magazine , not sweet at all some dark fruit , not a long finish, I wish I have more of these. This can age further.

48E5F616-5EB2-413F-B8E3-1E876721C242.jpeg

beefarmer

Established Member
Ending the weekend with another great red.
Unlike the YY I had yesterday this strait cab is unmistakably Australian in the best way possible.

View attachment 165178
I thought i was seeing things. This 2009 was one of a few on voting night for us and I thought it was alright. Nothing compared to the Meshach unfortuntaley but part of a Danny mixed box so great value. I thought it lacked the fullness but there was complexity in the palate. Also had a Zema estate cabernet in the early 2010's - cant remember the year-and that was really nice. Better. Another was the 2011 Lakebreeze Arthurs Reserve which was a nice wine as always.All jokes aside, the Roger harbord merlot 2010 at ten bucks a bottle did eclipse the shadrach, and probably the Zema for complexity. Who wouda thought?

But all wines were good on the night including the Voyager estate savvy semy which was better than good.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
If we are talking 2009 wines, here is the definition of disappointment:

Wynns.jpg

I opened the CS a few days ago and drank it over three nights. While not a bad wine, there was not the slightest bit of excitement in it, and it did not improve over the three nights. Because of that, I opened the Shiraz tonight and drank a third of it. Similar disappointment - just no excitement. It may improve over the next couple of days but I suspect that's unlikely.

Both have been well-kept in a wine cabinet since purchase at Wynns as current release.

This further confirms that my greater wine enjoyment by far now comes from outside the conventional.

boomy

AFF Supporter
I thought i was seeing things. This 2009 was one of a few on voting night for us and I thought it was alright. Nothing compared to the Meshach unfortuntaley but part of a Danny mixed box so great value. I thought it lacked the fullness but there was complexity in the palate.
Two different wines the Meshach and Shadrach (Shiraz vs Cab) at very different price range ($100 vs $190 at cellar door) so it’s not really fair to compare between them. For the record I love both but wouldn’t pay anything close to RRP. Luckily it’s not hard to get them closer to their real value. In fact earlier today I got call from TWC offering the Shadrach 2012 for $59 which is probably what I would agree to pay if hadn’t stocked well on Dans deal last year.

afro

If we are talking 2009 wines, here is the definition of disappointment:

View attachment 165558

I opened the CS a few days ago and drank it over three nights. While not a bad wine, there was not the slightest bit of excitement in it, and it did not improve over the three nights. Because of that, I opened the Shiraz tonight and drank a third of it. Similar disappointment - just no excitement. It may improve over the next couple of days but I suspect that's unlikely.

Both have been well-kept in a wine cabinet since purchase at Wynns as current release.

This further confirms that my greater wine enjoyment by far now comes from outside the conventional.
not a fan of the michael shiraz so i can't comment on that but for the john riddoch it might be in a deep sleeping mode. when i first tasted at DM, its really fresh and easy to drink, but the finish wasnt or long as i thought it would, 2009 is not a bad vintage though.

Daver6

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
What a life you millennials lead... ;):p.
There was only one millennial at the table and it wasn't me ;)

is that the Sorrenberg Gamay 2018?how was it?
I think it was the 2017 actually. Was a seriously good one. Served blind and not knowing it was Gamay you wouldn't pick it as an Australian wine. Good now and will be even better in another couple of years.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joernos