Newbie needs your help!!! [Basic travel Advice]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer

Hi all,

I need your advice. I will be taking my first trip overseas shortly and need to get up to speed quickly in terms of the following:

Do you rely on credit cards or other forms of currency (eg travellers cheques, cash in local denominations etc)
Tips on making check in easy
Tips on making luggage secure
In relation to using a computer overseas and charging up a phone -- what advice can you provide re adapters etc. what brand would you recommend and where can this be purchased?
Any other advice using a computer when travelling
What is the best lock for suitcases given different requirements by countries overseas
Any other tips for newbies:D

I know that some of these issues have probably been discussed previously. So please be patient:D. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to AFF. As you say, many of these questions have been asked before - perhaps you could use the search function and then ask any questions that haven't been covered?

Hi all,

I need your advice. I will be taking my first trip overseas shortly and need to get up to speed quickly in terms of the following:

Do you rely on credit cards or other forms of currency (eg travellers cheques, cash in local denominations etc)
In relation to using a computer overseas and charging up a phone -- what advice can you provide re adapters etc. what brand would you recommend and where can this be purchased?
What is the best lock for suitcases given different requirements by countries overseas

I know that some of these issues have probably been discussed previously. So please be patient:D. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to AFF. :)

Just some personal opinions;

Always have multiple ways of getting by in case one fails. i usually take some local currency cash (not a helluva lot), and have at least one credit card and a debit card where I can withdraw some cash at an ATM. Travellers' cheques are another option, as is one of the 'cash passport' (sorry can't recall the right term) solutions some banks provide these days. As long as you have several ways of accessing money, in case one or more fail.

If you have no 'status' with an airline hence cannot use a priority checkin queue then online checkin may work for you. Method varies between airlines.

Depends where you are going. just a little padlock will normally do on your checked luggage (maybe snap-lock ties on external pockets of your luggage for peace of mind). If visiting the USA you may wish to purchase TSA-approved padlocks, or just leave your checked luggage unlocked, as I did travelling through the US last year. Apropos of that, never pack in your checked luggage anything you cannot afford to lose. All 'valuables' should go on board with you.

Any travel place will sell electrical plug adapters - check your local store out. You may be able to get an 'all-in-one', or a couple of different ones. As far as voltage goes AFAIK (and I'm no expert!) the power supplies for these things these days have it built in.

No particular computer advice...obviously you're going to need to purchase bandwidth, though wi-fi access in places like Starbucks and McDonalds (shudder) is often available. There are apparently worldwide solutions available for internet access but I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people to chime in on that.

Suitcase locks? Refer TSA if travelling through USA - otherwise any small padlock.

Other tips? Photocopy the picture page of your passport. I have scanned and emailed mine to a place where I can access it anywhere in the world online (some warn against doing this as it may a be a little insecure - I agree but I still do it). Otherwise just take the photocopy with you.

In your hand luggage, take a change of shirt and smalls with you, never know when your luggage will go astray or you may be delayed (sorry to say I rarely follow my own advice here :oops:).

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I have never bothered with traveller's cheques. I use credit cards and just a small amount of cash. But it depends where you're going. Middle eastern countries with a strong Islamic heritage do not commonly use credit cards.

Check in is generally only easy if you have status or have bought a pointy-end ticket.

If you use a zip-up case, your luggage is never secure. A pen rammed through the zip will easily open it. But the bottom line is just forget about luggage security - although never put anything valuable in your checked bag. Sometimes I may use a small cable tie simply to hold the two zip ends together. Otherwise forget it.

Always take about three days' change of underwear, socks, shirts in your carry-on. Your luggage WILL get lost one day.

For charging an iPhone/Kindle and anything else that has a USB connection get a power adapter that has two USB outlets but that doesn't have an interchangeable front for the USB and conventional power like some of the earlier ones which meant charging only one type at a time. You need to be able to charge USB and conventional simultaneously. The one I use is a Lifetrons double USB adapter that I bought on board somewhere. I've seen them on more than one carriers duty-free offering.

No problem using a PC overseas. Depends where you stay whether you'll get ripped off for WiFi. A web-enabled phone may be all you need and just check periodically for free wifi in your vicinity. Again, depends where you're going as to whether coffee shops and fast-food joints (yech!) have free wifi. Interestingly enough, you are probably likely to get free wifi more readily in places like latin America than Europe. (Just about any fuel station you stop at anywhere in Argentina, for example, has free wifi. Try that here or in Europe - ha!).

If you are driving, don't bother about an international driver's permit.

I scan the front page of my passport, travel insurance document and credit cards and email them to myself so they are readily available on my iPhone or on any PC should that be required.

Always allow more than the minimum time for connecting flights if possible. Above all, relax, go with the flow and enjoy!

If you say where you are going I think you'll get some more specific tips.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Just to answer your questions and confirm the other are also right

1. I have a few different methods of accessing money as well as take cash. I usually take a 2 cards each linked to different accounts, plus a comm bank os currency card which in my case is loaded up with US dollars. It acts as a credit card so I use it where ever possible so if the numbers go for a walk I don't end up with major debts. I also take a bit of cash, but I don't store it all in my wallet. I usually divide my cash up and store half in my wallet and the other half with my passport. Whilst ATM's are pretty common in major cities, head away from major cities and you may have a few issues if you don't carry cash.

Try to get used to the local currancy as best you can. Accept that at least one point when you pay with a US $50 note for a $10 debt, you will be given only two $1 notes in change by "accident". Also there is nothing worse than when trying to board a bus your sitting there trying to work out how much $3.50 is using coins which are all the wrong shape size and colour.

Also learn the tipping customs of the place your visiting. There is nothing worse than turning up to a place and being unsure of if it's customary to leave a tip or not. Never ask the bar staff as they will not give an honest answer. Otherwise you risk tipping too much or too little (or not at all), or worse leaving a tip in a place where it's considered rude to do so (I did that once by accident, the guy just smiled, said thanks and said it was not nessacery, didn't make that mistake again).

There are certain places in the world which are renowned for being pickpocket destinations. If you are going to an area where it's likely only carry the bare minimum in your wallet, and better still don't carry your wallet in your back pocket.

2. Check in online if you can, I usually do online check in and then go to the check in counter to get my boarding pass. Status certainly helps a lot in this situation, otherwise just get to the airport as early as possible and give yourself as much time to go through the process.

3. I usually try and carry on only if possible, but in the event that I do need to use checked luggage (for example in 3 week’s time) I have a couple of TSA locks which I place on the bag. Being realistic they will only stop the honest people and the bag accidentally being opened in transit, so with that in mind anything valuable (eg iPad \ Laptop \ Camera \ Money \ expensive coats) goes with me in the cabin.

4. Find out what type of plug they use and go down to dick smith and by a converter for that country (or a universal convertor if you’re going to be doing a lot of travel, I haven't bothered with one as yet as I have a US and a UK type which has seen me through so far). Most appliances can switch between 240v and 110v... Look for something on your power pack which states input voltage 100 - 240V. If it says that then there is no problems using it in any country. I also usually bring a small 4 point powerboard, so I can charge my phone and laptop at the same time.

5. No real advice, I usually find free wifi in coffee shops, and hotels will also sometimes have free wifi. (Hotels are funny, they either give wifi for free, or they charge the most expensive rates for internet access you'll ever find). If you really think it's nessacery you can sometimes buy wireless internet access sims for the local country when you arrive. I've never bothered myself I just keep track of how much I use the internet with global roaming (very sparingly as it's expensive), and use local wifi options where available.

6. TSA locks are best if you plan to travel to the US. Keep in mind that if someone wants to get into your bag (either officially or un-officially) they will either just cut the lock off, or split the zipper or just cut into the bag.

7. Look after your passport, without it you are in a world of hurt. If you lose it at best your travel plans will get disrupted and there are some countries which insist on foreigners carrying their passport (or a photo copy) with them at all times, if you don't have it your likely to get locked up. I usually either carry it on me at all times in my top pocket (but out of sight) or lock it into the room safe. Also keep track of you're money, and make sure if you go to a country that has a departure tax sure you have enough money in cash to pay the departure tax. Don't rely on ATM's at the airport. Very nearly got stuck in the cook islands when we didn't have enough cash to cover departure tax and there was no ATM's available.

Try to remember the names \ locations of where you want to go when you arrive at your destination. Standing on a street corner with a map fully unfolded screams out "I am a tourist, come rob me". This is where a phone with maps and \ or a coffee shop will really come in handy.

Get to the airport as early as possible. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a traffic jam watching precious time tick away. Whilst short domestic flights I am usually willing to cut it a bit closer given there are usually later flights I can catch and it won't cost too much if the airline doesn't just automatically place me on the next available flight, when your in a destination where there is only one flight to Australia per day missing it would be a pain in the rear end if you where to miss it.

If going to a non-english speaking country learn a couple of phrases in the local language. Hello \ Thank You and No will go along way to getting what you want. Keep in mind that certain countries english speakers get the better jobs so don't be surprised when in China you say "nihao" and the person behind the counter says "hello".

Finally enjoy the local food. Eating macca's os is not a cultural experience... :D

Enjoy your travels and welcome to AFF.

Last edited:
Hello,

Firstly thank you to all the wonderful replies to my original post. Its greatly appreciated:D. Is there anyone else out there interested in contributing their expertise. I really am interested in your input. I have been trawling through past threads (more time consuing than I thought but useful) -- however it would be great to get up to date information. So over to you

thanks,

Hello,

Firstly thank you to all the wonderful replies to my original post. Its greatly appreciated:D. Is there anyone else out there interested in contributing their expertise. I really am interested in your input. I have been trawling through past threads (more time consuing than I thought but useful) -- however it would be great to get up to date information. So over to you

thanks,

I think you have done well so far. Why do you say the information is not up to date?

I think you have done well so far. Why do you say the information is not up to date?

Hi Sprucegoose,

my post probably wasn't clear. In going back over past threads (some going back some time), I felt that I needed more up to date information. The posts that has been provided so far on this thread have been wonderful and I do really appreciate the time that the members have taken to educate me. But as a newbie about to embark on that first trip os I am probably a little bit more nervous than I should be and therefore I just wanted to draw on the expertise of this forum. So apologies if I have offended anyone. That was not my intention.

But as a newbie about to embark on that first trip os I am probably a little bit more nervous than I should be

I have noticed this... The big thing is to relax both before you go and whilst your on your trip, provided you use common sense (and the advice given to you from this forum) you'll be fine... Otherwise you'll stress out about things and won't have a good time.

A good way to relax prior to going onto your trip would be make a checklist which you tick off items once sorted, and a second checklist for packing. This certainly helps some people relax (like Mrs Harvyk)

So the big question, where are you off to and for how long?

Hello Stargazer,
Where are you going to and for how long in each country?
Are you on a strict budget or are you going somewhere to shop and go sight seeing like there is no tomorrow?

As Tuapekastar says, photocopy the info page of you passport and on that page add details of your trip ( times, flight numbers, reservation numbers etc) . Give this to someone at home to look after.

Dont panic about locks. Never used one and nothing stolen yet.

Look at buying some travellers laundry detergent to take. Great for quick clothes wash at hotel and cheaper than most laundromats.

And enjoy the unexpected. No fun in planning every moment

Money - I usually take a mixture of cash, credit cards and and debit cards but the last two trips had problems with ANZ... Last trip i had 3 credit cards and a debit card in my wallet which got stolen on the 3rd day of a 2.5 month trip, (lesson learned!!), keep credit cards in a couple of different places so you don't lose them all at once... Took 1.5 months to sort that headache out!!! Lucky i had taken a large amount of cash A$2500 to use in places where i could get a better exchange rate on the street/banks than out of ATMs and so had that to fall back on but i still ran out of money before the end of the trip and could've been in a world of problems without a friend i was travelling with... So yes take a couple of different methods of getting money and divide them up so you can't lose all at the same time... I am just about to open a Citi account that was mentioned ona thread here that has a debit card that doesn't charge overseas transactions fees (although you will pay an exchange rate fee as you will with everything) so plan to use that from now on to save money...

Locks - Don't use a lot of them, but when in communal hostel rooms i would often just use a couple of small padlocks to lock my bag or put on the locker in the room... Always handy to travel with a few, they won't deter anyone serious but that's ok, it just has to make your luggage slightly more difficult than the persons next to yours... :) I don't get obsessed with locking things, 99% of people are ok and don't do the wrong thing, just keep your wits about you but not to the point of getting paranoid and ruining your trip... Travel insurance also won't cover most things stolen from checked luggage if you read the T&Cs or you will have to fight for it, so keep cameras, iPods/iPads on your person on the plane...

I scan my passport and email it to my account at work so that i can access it around the world should i need it, but from now on i will scan my drivers licence and credit cards and other cards as well that i might use just in case i lose my wallet again, you don't realise how some of these cards might be necessary if you lose them... I also type up my itinerary while planning my trip and then provide to several people before i leave so family know where i might be...

Online check-in - Can usually be done 24 hours before you fly unless you are on a real cheap LCC carrier, i usually try to log in the night before and secure a half decent window seat... Lining up at airports usually just comes with travel, nothing much you can do to avoid...

Internet - Advantage of hostels/backpackers (well just one of them) is that this is often free and included while hotels often charge rip off rates... You can take your Wifi device and sit in macca's or starbucks or you can find internet cafes in some countries that sometimes charge reasonable rates, sometimes charge rip off rates... YMMV...

Charging items - I travel with a little HP netbook, weights about 1.5 kg and has 160 gig HDD, can use it for skype as has camera and mic, has wifi and bluetooth so much better for accessing web than just a small phone but light enough to carry around (unlike lead brick laptops) and stores movies and music and photos and all... Only cost me about $300 a couple of years back and was a great buy... I can also plug that in around the world with the right adaptor and then charge multiple mobile phones, ipods etc through the netbook using their USB cables... Reduces the need to bring lots of indvidual chargers although i always do overload on USB sticks, adaptors, chargers, batteries etc... Instead of going to Dick Smith and paying $10-20 for adaptors i now go on eBay and pay about $1 for a single adptor or $4 for a multi plug adaptor, retail stores for so many electrical/phone related items are a total rip off!!!

Clothes - Yes carrying a few spare changes of clothes in your carry on can be wise, i have only ever had my luggage go astray twice and lucky was able to go buy some clothes on work credit card once, and was authorised to another time but Qantas showed up with 12 hours after i arrived, but always best to have a few necessities on you...

Really does depend where you are going as to how unsafe it is and so how many precautions to take, places like bali etc everything is so cheap if you lose anything you can duck out and get it for cheap as chips anyway which isn't always the case...

my best tip for travel adaptors... either the place you are staying at might have one, OR, depending on where you are going, buy locally. In hong kong for example they were HKD7 each (less than an Aussia dollar). In thailand I picked up an all countries to all countries adaptor at the 7/11 for AUD5. Same in the US... cost me $2 at Wallgreens.

Now if you are going to Switzerland... perhaps cheaper to buy the adaptor making factory than buy one locally...

For clothes cleaning I just use the hotel shampoo... a dash in the water is great for refreshing and giving a nice clean smell. (wouldn't use it on my hair... but for clothes its fine :))

Stupid question coming up:oops: ..... when you sleep on a plane what do you do with your valuables such as passport, credit cards, local currency, iphone etc. I thought I would put these items in a bag and stash it at my feet. So if there is any movement I would wake up. Does this sound reasonable???

Stupid question coming up:oops: ..... when you sleep on a plane what do you do with your valuables such as passport, credit cards, local currency, iphone etc. I thought I would put these items in a bag and stash it at my feet. So if there is any movement I would wake up. Does this sound reasonable???

For me, I've always packed everything in my travel bag and stashed it up top - different compartment in case a sneaky hand wants to take a look.......never had a problem.

Personally, I would avoid the floor - have a good trip.

As Tuapekastar says, photocopy the info page of you passport and on that page add details of your trip ( times, flight numbers, reservation numbers etc) . Give this to someone at home to look after.

Dont panic about locks. Never used one and nothing stolen yet.

Look at buying some travellers laundry detergent to take. Great for quick clothes wash at hotel and cheaper than most laundromats.

And enjoy the unexpected. No fun in planning every moment

Agree with the locks - but, I do like those straps that contain you bag rather than lock your bag.......particularly after seeing the wear & tear on my Delsey. Also, it's really easy to spot your bag on the carousel :)

For me, I've always packed everything in my travel bag and stashed it up top - different compartment in case a sneaky hand wants to take a look.......never had a problem.

Personally, I would avoid the floor
Amaroo,
not too sure I understand what you mean by "different compartment" Can you expand?

Amaroo,
not too sure I understand what you mean by "different compartment" Can you expand?

I use a roll-a bag therefore, I have a main compartment, a large front & small front compartment - also within the main compartment there are small zipper sockets.

In the days when all I had was a back pack there was similar sections. If someone is going to steal from your bag they are going to have to be quick & efficient or steal the whole thing.

My aim is only to slow them down so they don't get everything.

Spent countless months on planes and haven't had any dramas....however, have heard stories, so it must happen. Stash it well, sit down & enjoy the flight.

Last edited:
A couple of practical points:

1. Take a photo of your suitcase so that it's in your camera to display - should it be lost. Delays happen but you would be very unlucky to lose it.

2. If you experience an ATM overseas where your credit card doesn't work - try an extra two leading zeros with your pin (some countries have six digit pins e.g. Portugal).

Most important - have fun. Overseas travel is full of laughs - like when you walk into a butcher's shop in Paris and , in your best French, ask for some good pork sausages.............and discover it's a Jewish butcher!

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

passport and cash I leave in my top pocket, I'll usually just place wallet (without cash) and keys into my carryon and stash in overhead locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back