New Qantas American Express Card - what do you reckon?

Is the Qantas American Express Card a good deal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker

Hey everyone,

I am a new user to Frequent Flyer site and I am a Gold QFF looking to keep building my points...

I've seen in Sydney the new Qantas American Express Card. There is a lot to take in but it looks like a great deal if you use your card everday or even better still if you pay for your flights with it, up to 2.5 FF points with the Ultimate Card. :D

I applied for one today and I hope it comes through soon. It seems like the quickest way i can see to earn points that i can find.

Just interested to hear from people if they think it is a good offer as well or if you know if there is better?

Thanks heaps
Parker :eek:

Hmm... Your poll answers are a bit vague. They don't seem to answer the question you pose.

I think the QF platinum card is worth it if you were to use the free flight, fly a lot on QF and will charge you flights to the card.

I prefer the non-QF platinum credit card, as I have the freedom to use the points how I like, and don't really want to get tied down to flying QF. I can also use the free flight to fly to Perth from Sydney.

Johan said:
I think the QF platinum card is worth it if you were to use the free flight, fly a lot on QF and will charge you flights to the card.

I prefer the non-QF platinum credit card, as I have the freedom to use the points how I like, and don't really want to get tied down to flying QF. I can also use the free flight to fly to Perth from Sydney.

I'm with you on this, after doing the sums, I think the flexibility of the platinum card (in particular keeping the points there till I decide what I want to do with them) won out for me.

Johan said:

Totally agree. I rarely have QF spend on my Amex card (most is on corp Diners Club and I have no control over changing that).

Of course, the other benefit of the normal AMEX Plat Credit Card is that I get a discount, being a CPA. (Didn't mention it earlier, as you are probably comparing the normal general public versions of the cards).

:)

The new QF Amex cards seem great if you spend a reasonable amount of money with Qantas on your card, because you get 1 additional bonus point for every dollar spent with Qantas.

If you're like me and your Qantas spend is almost entirely on your corporate card, with relatively little on your personal card, then you're best to stick with the Rewards Maximiser or Platinum Credit Card.

Keep in mind that Amex points are more valuable than QF points, because they can be converted 1:1 to be Qantas and Virgin Atlantic, and at a lower ratio to other programs. [clarification edit: the Qantas Amex only earns QFF points, directly deposited into your QFF account every month. Regular Amex cards earn Amex Membership Rewards points, which are the flexible ones I'm referring to]

Amex Rewards Maximiser: $144, 1.5 points/dollar
Qantas Amex Premium: $195, 1.25 points/dollar, 2 QC invitations/year

So you pay less, and get more with the Rewards Maximiser, unless you are very keen on the 2 QC invites.

Amex Platinum Credit Card: $395, 1.5 points/dollar, domestic return flight
Qantas Amex Ultimate: $395, 1.5 points/dollar, somewhat more limited domestic return flight (I think it excludes SYD-PER?)

The differential is less here, and can easily be made up by the bonus points on QF spend.

So overall:

Decent Qantas spend on your card: go with the Qantas Amex Ultimate card
Low Qantas spend on your card: go with Platinum / Rewards Maximiser

I think that if Qantas wants to increase the take up of the Qantas Platinum AmEx for the its membership base (QFF, PS, SG, WP) then they should offer ADDITIONAL bonus points depending on your status.

Ie.

Additional 0 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (QFF up to PS)
Additional 0.5 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (SG)
Additional 1.0 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (WP)

This will encourage their already very active SG and WP members to go for the card. Note: I'm a WP so I'm invoking my right to be a bit snobby. :)

I'm currently trying to figure out which card to get. I have got a pre appoval form from the standard AmEx Platinum but I'm waiting for Qantas to make thir own offer to entice me from my combination ANZ Qantas Visa and 1.5 point AmEx Gold Maximizer.

Anyone heard of any rumours on what Qantas marketing are going to be doing?

Regards
Daniel

Like danielh I would like to see a better linking with your status with Qantas...

I think Qantas and American Express would find that more FF's would switch over to the QF Amex if they offered a discount of free card depending on Status... Similar to what Ansett did with Diners Club (offered free card when a member of the Golden Wing Club...

Just my 2c

D P G

This comparison may have changed somewhat on latest SMH offer of first year free for QF Amex Card and Premium Amex Card (NOT Ultimate) of free membership for first year.

Would suggest the free points may shade the extra .25 pts per km for low-mid range users (or just order then cancel soon after).

Can only be accessed by phone 1 300 651 313.

QF card complete waste of time. Go the Amex rewards maximiser or platinum, which will be much more valuable when you can start transferring points to Virgin Atlantic's FF program later this year at a 1:1 ratio. Burn rate on this program and it's various partners (eg 150K to Europe on SQ in J vs 256K on QF) are much better than on the QF program which is becoming a complete joke. (Unless of course you just want to redeem QF points for upgrades).

In early February I applied for a Qantas American Express on line & shortly after I received an email from Fady Taouk - Head of Lending with a heading 'Balance Transfer Approval Notice' stating that my balance transfer (from another credit card) 'has been processed.' Further it stated that 'the unpaid balance from your credit card have now been transferred to your American Express Credit Card Account.'
Got it? 'MY AMERICAN EXPRESS CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT.'
WHAT ACCOUNT? Nothing arrived - nothing happened.
No transfer, no card, NO RETURN CORRESPONDENCE AFTER 3 LETTERS asking for an explanation!
A similar fruitless exercise when I rang AEX in Sydney & got the run around (kept asking for my AEX account number? What number?? this is what I'm after!) then after about 30 minutes going from person to person the line dropped out! Nobody had a clue who I was.
What in blazes is going on? The 3 letters I wrote went to three different department addresses (with my return address) so they got them. But they do not reply!
If they changed their mind with my application, why not do the courteous thing & write & tell me? Why completely ignore my three letters?
Qantas American Express? What a disgraceful way to treat a (potential) customer. Zero points from me.
Concepcion Skeet :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Parker said:
Hey everyone,

I am a new user to Frequent Flyer site and I am a Gold QFF looking to keep building my points...

I've seen in Sydney the new Qantas American Express Card. There is a lot to take in but it looks like a great deal if you use your card everday or even better still if you pay for your flights with it, up to 2.5 FF points with the Ultimate Card. :D

I applied for one today and I hope it comes through soon. It seems like the quickest way i can see to earn points that i can find.

Just interested to hear from people if they think it is a good offer as well or if you know if there is better?

Thanks heaps
Parker :eek:
Hope you don't get the runaround with Qantas American Express like I did after applying for their card. Qantas should monitor this Company that is using their name & stuffing people around.
Read my post 14/4/07.
Good luck, Connie Skeet

danielh said:
I think that if Qantas wants to increase the take up of the Qantas Platinum AmEx for the its membership base (QFF, PS, SG, WP) then they should offer ADDITIONAL bonus points depending on your status.

Ie.

Additional 0 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (QFF up to PS)
Additional 0.5 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (SG)
Additional 1.0 points per $1 spent on Qantas flights for (WP)

This will encourage their already very active SG and WP members to go for the card. Note: I'm a WP so I'm invoking my right to be a bit snobby. :)

I'm currently trying to figure out which card to get. I have got a pre appoval form from the standard AmEx Platinum but I'm waiting for Qantas to make thir own offer to entice me from my combination ANZ Qantas Visa and 1.5 point AmEx Gold Maximizer.

There seems to be no commercial sense to this....as QANTAS would seem to gain little.

Credit card companies buy mileage off airlines to encourage CC spend on their particular card.

Why should they give extra bonuses to FF over Frequent Spenders?

They would not which would necessiate Qnatas has to effectively givea way free points...which is hardly commercial.

As it stands selling miles to CC companies is agreat earner for airlines such as QANTAS.

The bonus on QANTAS spend is commercially justified as it is justa 1% discount ofa airline service in order to encotagea purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back