New Amex Velocity Platinum offer 100,000 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting structure. I wonder if that is the way forward for future Amex offers?

newbie question, but are amex velocity and amex normal considered different for bonus/exclusion period purposes?

couldnt find the answer

newbie question, but are amex velocity and amex normal considered different for bonus/exclusion period purposes?

couldnt find the answer
The way I read the terms, any Amex issues Amex disqualifies you.

"Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited, in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for the bonus Velocity Points offer."

Last edited:
Not completely true - where you had an Amex issued by your bank (e.g. as part of a combo suite of cards, usually a Mastercard + Amex) , that didn't disqualify you for this offer. However a number of banks have now canned their 'inhouse amex' (e.g. CBA) so this is harder to have.

Be aware that while this has been easy for some people, the credit process is a *lot* more intensive than it was say 2-3 years ago. I applied about 6 months ago and after a dozen phone calls from analysts who weren't happy that salary amounts weren't exactly matching up to payslips (in terms of dates, the amounts were fine), who wanted to see proof of rental income (difficult when you'd just signed up with an agent.. ) and so on..

I gave up and just cancelled the application and figured there were easier ways to obtain 100k points..

But with 100K on offer and having all the qualifying paperwork in much better order now, I may give it another shot..

I think it's only the David Jones cards that allow you to have cards from other families or groups of cards.

If you want a Velocity card or even the Qantas cards, you need to sit out the 18 months.

Not completely true - where you had an Amex issued by your bank (e.g. as part of a combo suite of cards, usually a Mastercard + Amex) , that didn't disqualify you for this offer. However a number of banks have now canned their 'inhouse amex' (e.g. CBA) so this is harder to have.

Be aware that while this has been easy for some people, the credit process is a *lot* more intensive than it was say 2-3 years ago. I applied about 6 months ago and after a dozen phone calls from analysts who weren't happy that salary amounts weren't exactly matching up to payslips (in terms of dates, the amounts were fine), who wanted to see proof of rental income (difficult when you'd just signed up with an agent.. ) and so on..

I gave up and just cancelled the application and figured there were easier ways to obtain 100k points..

But with 100K on offer and having all the qualifying paperwork in much better order now, I may give it another shot..

I find it best to leave out the rental income (and anything else that complicates the application), provided you can get to the minimum income level without it.

Kiss is your friend with these applications.

• Agree
Reactions: ja1
I contacted Amex recently to confirm the different streams of Amex cards. The customer service representative said that you can have say, the David Jones Amex Platinum card and an Explorer Card (as an example). The best thing to do is contact them directly and ask for peace of mind.

I think it's only the David Jones cards that allow you to have cards from other families or groups of cards.

If you want a Velocity card or even the Qantas cards, you need to sit out the 18 months.
I contacted Amex recently to confirm the different streams of Amex cards. The customer service representative said that you can have say, the David Jones Amex Platinum card and an Explorer Card (as an example). The best thing to do is contact them directly and ask for peace of mind.

Drew l also contacted Amex to see if I was eligible for this deal. previously had amex platinum with commbank and after they axed that I signed up for Velocity escape card. anyway hasn't been 18 months yet the rep i spoke to did offer me to upgrade to velocity platinum and 25,000 velocity points. i did ask if they could offer more points or status credits but said no. not sure if I should take the offer or wait out the 18 months and see what deals amex have down the track. what would you guys do??

Drew l also contacted Amex to see if I was eligible for this deal. previously had amex platinum with commbank and after they axed that I signed up for Velocity escape card. anyway hasn't been 18 months yet the rep i spoke to did offer me to upgrade to velocity platinum and 25,000 velocity points. i did ask if they could offer more points or status credits but said no. not sure if I should take the offer or wait out the 18 months and see what deals amex have down the track. what would you guys do??

They have not shown any signs of slowing down on the sign up offers front, so I have no reason to think they will stop.
How far through the 18 months are you?

Anyone know the situation for existing supplementary cardholders on someone else's existing Velocity Amex? My wife is my supplementary but would like her own account - would she still qualify please?

Anyone know the situation for existing supplementary cardholders on someone else's existing Velocity Amex? My wife is my supplementary but would like her own account - would she still qualify please?
If they are only a Supplementary (or additional) cardholders they are eligible for the bonus.

Anyone that is a primary cardholder would not be eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back