Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
Amex is changing its Shop Small program into a year-round offer where you can earn 3 extra points per $1 spent at participating small businesses, up to 40,000 points per year.

This is instead of the limited-time promos that used to run for a short time each year where you could get cashback by spending money at small businesses during the promo period.

Shame like the cash back concept and understood it had to be time limited because it could be gamed.

While there isn’t that November focus on participating businesses to discover, I don’t feel this promo is as compelling to go out and try new businesses. I can understand the old promo would’ve been expensive to run.

I see a shop small offer this morning on my charge card
3pts/$ bonus, till 31/3/22

Yes, I have this on the two primary cards for which we pay (wife's Plat Charge, my Plat Edge) but no supps and not the companion Plat Reserve.

Got this one on my Explorer. Max 40,000 bonus points. Finally an offer I will actually use.

The end date is a bit concerning - March next year. I wonder if that means there will be no 'proper' shop small offer this year.

Yes, I have this on the two primary cards for which we pay (wife's Plat Charge, my Plat Edge) but no supps and not the companion Plat Reserve.
Obvs it's not cashback but it's a whole year, max 40k points (which is $13k spent at small businesses), and AFAICT no once-per-merchant limit.

Got it on both Plat and Qantas Ultimate. Both +3 points per dollar, so a better return on the Ultimate.

I have SS offer on primary cards only. Absolutely no supps.

Thanks, yes I have the small shop too.

Like it as been supporting our local shops plenty last 12 months as working from home.

Got it on the main Explorer card only. Not sure I'll be going out of my way to take advantage of it. :( If I get some bonus points, good but....not a very generous offer Amex cf to previous Shop Smalls!!

Not as beneficial as a 25% or 50% discount, but not being time limited offsets some of this.

Of note, I haven’t received this on any supp cards...? Will need to add partners explorer to my phone wallet to get 5 points :)

Anybody getting this offer on supps? On none of mine. Makes a difference to me as I use explorer supp linked to partners account. Will need to add the main card to my phone wallet.

Anybody getting this offer on supps?

Not me either, in fact it states:

"get 3 extra Membership Rewards Points per $1 spent, in-store or online at participating Shop Small businesses by 31/03/2022

Additional Cards are not eligible for this offer."

I never use my main card, because I have an extra card which is printed as "Chicken A/C", which is the card I take with me and use.

So I don't know how I'm gonna use this card.

Separately, I also have this for my Reserve card:

"5 Membership Rewards Bonus Points per $1 spent, in-store or in-app at participating fuel retailers by 19/05/2021"

Amex needs to make it worthwhile for small businesses to use them. Whilst this may be the case, those small businesses not using Amex have indicated the fees are too high so either their fees are too high, or small businesses in many cases haven’t been appraised of the new fee structure ( if there is one) or the advantages of coming aboard

Thanks for the heads up on this offer @Mattg, just logged into my Amex account and saved it on my Essentials card.

I actually prefer this to the original Shop Small - whilst I made good use of those promotions when living in WA, now that we're in rural Tasmania it became almost impossible to take advantage of any Shop Small cashbacks as the only businesses participating in our area were ones that I never shopped at (and didn't need to buy anything from either). This will give me the opportunity to earn more points in many more places in Tassie and also if I'm travelling domestically on the mainland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back