My husband got his CBA diamond today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasy86dj

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
But there was only a Mastercard, not an American Express. He is on the staff card though but I wonder if CBA stopped issuing American Express to new people? Thoughts?

Welcome to AFF fantasy86dj :D

Did you guys expect the Amex as part of the whole thing?

Welcome to AFF fantasy86dj :D

Did you guys expect the Amex as part of the whole thing?

Good evening,

I have the CBA Diamond with Mastercard and American Express. I only got my account 6 months ago

We have not, I will get him to call today out of my own curiosity though :-D

To the OP - did he have an Amex on his original card?

It sounds like this was an upgrade (either requested or just given by CBA) and usually in this instance you will keep the existing arrangement you had. For instance if you have a gold MC only with Awards because you've had it from a time before the Amex card was available, then many FIs will just upgrade you with the same arrangement (ie no Amex).

If he already had an MC and Amex under the old account then I would agree it is odd to only send one card as they usually send both together. They may have sent them separately for some reason perhaps, in which case you might get the Amex over the next few days...

It sounds like this was an upgrade (either requested or just given by CBA) and usually in this instance you will keep the existing arrangement you had. For instance if you have a gold MC only with Awards because you've had it from a time before the Amex card was available, then many FIs will just upgrade you with the same arrangement (ie no Amex).

If he already had an MC and Amex under the old account then I would agree it is odd to only send one card as they usually send both together. They may have sent them separately for some reason perhaps, in which case you might get the Amex over the next few days...

He did not have an American Express on his original agreement, just a mastercard. The upgrade was free from CBA Awards (standard) straight to Diamond. He is on a staff deal though so that might have something to do with it... I am currently over in Perth but going to ask over the next few days if he does go and get the American Express or not.

Just as a datapoint here, I had a Gold rewards card for 16 years, and finally decided to upgrade to Diamond (without any real reason, to be honest). I had no need for the AMEX so had refused it when initially asked a couple of years previous.

Anyways, when the Diamond card arrived, an AMEX also came with it which remains in the drawer unused. Again, this was not requested. I can't be bothered cancelling it for the moment.

He did not have an American Express on his original agreement, just a mastercard. The upgrade was free from CBA Awards (standard) straight to Diamond. He is on a staff deal though so that might have something to do with it... I am currently over in Perth but going to ask over the next few days if he does go and get the American Express or not.

I think that your response answers the question there - they've given him what he had before...

From another person's post it seems like this might be a little inconsistent however, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why.

He can just call and ask for a companion Amex card if he wants one. Should be there within a week...

Turns out that he does not get an American Express - I would not mind getting rid of my American Express and just having the Mastercard

Its essentially the same account just with 2 different cards with different rates in points earning (1.25 vs 3.0), which equates to 0.625 / 1.5 points per dollar, why wouldnt you want both cards? Essentially the Amex is on par with the Plat charge cards in terms of earning.

If you want a 1:1 earn/spend with mastercard have to go with the Woolies EDR / HSBC Qantas card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back