My expensive mistake.

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by turtlemichael, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. turtlemichael

turtlemichael Established Member

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I got an sms from Qantas today offering me $400 (total for 2 pax) to change off one BNE-CNS flight to another. I guess it was over booked. It didn't worry me which flight I took that day so I grabbed it. On closer inspection, after I had said yes, I noticed that the substituted flight was actually on the previous day. This was a big problem for me. So I phoned Qantas. Even though there are quite a few seats available on the alternative flights that day I was told. "Sorry, you booked it, you live with it! (in marginally nicer terms!)" This did not qualify as a mistake booking reported to Qantas on the same day.
    Advertisement

The lesson is that I need to accept that it is my responsibility for the stuff up which will end up costing me quite a few dollars. However, the lack of flexibility by QF when seats are available on the day I want does hurt me. I would have been better placed if Qantas had said in their sms the names of the days rather than just the date. I am sure I would have picked it up them and therefore ignored the offer Lessons can be expensive!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    They really should have stressed that it was a different day. Dare I say, they deliberately did not stress that? I’d not expect them to offer a previous day flight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. turtlemichael

turtlemichael Established Member

May 24, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well I felt that (by using the names of the days of the week in their sms so I would have been more likely to pick up the change of dates) but I also accept that they are in the right and it was my mistake and is going to end up costing me quite a few hundred dollars. The lack of flexibility when I reported it within an hour also hurts. Lesson expensively leant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zenyattamondatta

Jul 22, 2018
    Is that sort of cash offer for changing flights common?

5. AIRwin

AIRwin Established Member

Apr 13, 2013
    BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Did you hang up and call again?

6. kermatu

kermatu Established Member

May 27, 2012
    Canberra
    Twitter:
    Poor form, even if you had the opportunity to realise the date change. Not what we should expect or live with from a so-called premium carrier.

• Agree Agree x 1