money to overseas

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mr_Gimlet, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mr_Gimlet

    Mr_Gimlet Member

    Jun 18, 2006
    Hi everyone, hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

    I am heading to the UK shortly and have to pay for some hifi gear in cash (it's second hand), probably around AUD3000. Given I'm not going to pay him without seeing the goods (ie no bank to bank transfer) I will be doing it cash.

    What I am trying to work out is the best way is the best way to get the money - should I transfer it to a friend, or withdraw from cashpoints in the UK? WHich rates etc will be better, or really doesn't it matter?

  2. Zulaiha

    Zulaiha Member

    Nov 25, 2006
    Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Transfer to an overseas account will attract a bank fee at least $20 from what I understand.

    There is some talk about Wizard master card in this forum, why not using that?

    Carrying 3,000 AUD is not much, that is another alternative.
  3. NM


    Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Travellers checks may be an option here. I rarely use of recommend them, but you could quickly and easily convert A$3000 worth of TCs to UK Pounds.
  4. Dave Noble

    Dave Noble Senior Member

    Oct 10, 2005
    I agree definately here. If you are not sure whether you will need to use them, then take Australian Dollars cheques so that you can pay them back into you bank account with the only expense having been the cost of getting the cheques

    If you are almost certain to buy the article, then I would suggest GBP travellers cheques so that you can get them encashed for no charge in the UK ( or just pay the person with them )

  5. Mr_Gimlet

    Mr_Gimlet Member

    Jun 18, 2006
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just discovered that the Monday I arrive in the UK is a public holiday, so I will have to take cash. It didn't work out much more expensive than the other options - Amex make a big deal about fee-free enchashment, but the limitations on it are less than ideal (eg need to be a customer of the cashing bank - highly likely, if I was a customer I wouldn't be carrying travellers cheques).

Share This Page