Mini Tour of NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
FLYING TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND

Continuing with the increasingly badly titled mini tour of New Zealand I pause for a moment of indulgence.

After lots and lots of international travel in the past few years, my schedule for 2007 was looking like I wouldn’t be able to fit much longhaul travel in. Don’t get me wrong, I still expect to do quite a bit by non-FT standards – say 2 or 3 round the world trips plus some other trips, however this is well down on the past few years. Instead my schedule currently suits short domestic trips.

Having recently flown to the last few of the 26 domestic destinations served by a major airline in New Zealand, I decided to set myself a new goal – to fly all 50 current domestic routes. I had previously flown quite a few of them, but the network schedules will pose some challenges to fit into my time constraints (as well as booking engine constraints) – particularly the routes served only once a day. I'm now getting close to achieving this goal - just a couple to go.

While I will collect a modest amount of mileage thanks to sector minimums, this is not a mileage run. Fare rules in New Zealand do not permit routings other than the most direct possible, and the cheapest domestic fares on Air New Zealand are non-mileage earning (with Qantas only having 6, soon to be 5, routes almost all flights are on Air New Zealand).

The current routes are listed below, and I’ll mark them off as I go.

From/To Auckland

From/To Hamilton

From/To Wellington
  • WLG-WRE first flown 2007 (Wellington – Whangarei)
  • WLG-HLZ first flown years ago (Wellington - Hamilton)
  • WLG-TRG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Tauranga)
  • WLG-ROT first flown 2007 (Wellington – Rotorua)
  • WLG-TUO first flown 2007 (Wellington – Taupo)
  • WLG-GIS first flown 2007 (Wellington – Gisborne)
  • WLG-NPE first flown years ago (Wellington - Napier / Hastings)
  • WLG-NPL first flown 2007 (Wellington – New Plymouth)
  • WLG-WAG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Wanganui)
  • WLG-PMR first flown 2007 (Wellington – Palmerston North)
  • WLG-BHE first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Blenheim)
  • WLG-NSN first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Nelson)
  • WLG-WSZ first flown 2006 (Wellington - Westport)
  • WLG-CHC first flown years ago, and again in 2006 (Wellington - Christchurch)
  • WLG-TIU first flown 2006 (Wellington - Timaru)
  • WLG-ZQN (seasonal route) first flown years ago (Wellington - Queenstown)
  • WLG-DUD first flown 2006 (Wellington - Dunedin)

From/To Nelson

From/To Christchurch

AUCKLAND to WELLINGTON (AKL-WLG) on NZ 737-300

Another day and a chance to fly the last two remaining unflown Air NZ domestic routes. I have an early start for my itinerary has me flying seven flights today in order to fit in with the schedules for both unflown routes on the same day. This is the most flights I have taken in a single day, let alone on a single ticket on the same day.

Due to the vagaries of the various booking tools available for New Zealand domestic flights it is quite difficult to improve on this. The Qantas website doesn’t allow for multi-city bookings (unsurprising given the low number of routes and that all fares in New Zealand are one way). Nor do the New Zealand based online travel agencies. Air NZ’s website does allow multi-city bookings (in 2 places each with different restrictions) but now requires a minimum of 1 hour connection between “trips”. By trip I mean the flights between two airports which have a bookable fare – this will involve 1, 2 or 3 segments (I haven’t seen any with 4) – and not all airport pairs have a bookable fare. Transfers within a trip can be as short as 20 minutes, for that is normally ample time to connect domestic to domestic on same airline within New Zealand.

So, six domestic segments in a day is unusual. Air NZ’s quick check machines for example have a limit of 4 flights before they force you to check in at a counter. Invariably I get comments and questions whenever I’ve had six same day flights before.

Since the purpose was to fly the two previously unflown routes, I could not improve on my itinerary by adding another flight. Playing with the multi-city booking tool I have found other itineraries, that are bookable on a single ticket, with eight same day domestic flights, and even one with nine. If split on multiple tickets I think ten same day flights should be possible, although I haven’t yet found a specific itinerary that allows that.

Enough of the diversion, and on with the flights. Again I arrive early a little before the security opens up. I notice one of the quick check machines is still out of order – as it has been for about a month. The forecast fog has not arrived, for which I’m thankful. If the day had been foggy then I’m sure I would have had to drop half the flights and then sort out rebooking – a hassle with my tight schedules.

Check in takes a while. I want to switch to credit an FFP other than Airpoints, for better credit and aid requalification. As usual, I had entered my Airpoints number at the time of booking in order to get reasonable seats pre-allocated, which is even more important now that OLCI seems to be allowed any time from booking although that was not the case when I booked. It also gives me the best possible treatment pre date of departure – eg if schedules change, as they actually did in this case, I can get preferential treatment for rebooking. The change of FFP seems to only stick on half the flights – something to chase up later. At first only 4 boarding passes are printed, which is normal but they can easily override to force the printing of the remaining boarding passes. I also change a seat on one flight which for some reason had pre-allocated me a middle seat on what I later find is a light load.

By the time this is done security is almost open. I take a quick walk outside in the fresh air. The slight nip and clear skies signal the long Indian summer is set to continue at least for another day. One of the Air NZ flights from USA lands and I watch it taxi to the international terminal. The Qantas 747 from Los Angeles to Melbourne via Auckland is conspicuously absent – they seem to have had a few problems lately and often it is QF25 & 26 that get impacted by delays.

Through security (laptop out) and up to departures level and the lounge. Once again the escalator isn’t switched on. Inside the lounge I’m welcomed back and request my FFP # be added to the flights which it didn’t stick. Boarding is soon called. The load is about 70% meaning plenty of room to spread out, but unfortunately not for the overhead bins all of which are already full when I arrive at my forward seat. Never mind, my carry on easily fits under the sit in front. This isn’t unusual on these early trunk route flights in my experience, for many of those sitting in the first few rows will have arrived from a longhaul flight and thus have duty free bags in addition to their laptop or other bag. Above the first row is also where the cabin crew’s gear goes.

We push back on time and head south. It isn’t long before the landscape is blotted out by extensive low cloud. This persists all the way to the South Coast of Wellington. The inflight service consists of the usual buy on board food and drink (with very few takers on all of my flights I wonder how long they will continue to offer this), followed by complimentary water tea and coffee. Boiled sweets handed out at this time also, and paper napkins, so collect everything you want when they first come through.

In Wellington the clouds are down below the hill tops so not a great view. We arrive slightly late due to strong head winds. On deplaning I head to the lounge for the short wait until my next flight.

WELLINGTON to CHRISTCHURCH (WLG-CHC) on NZ 737-300

I have enough time to grab a coffee but little else. The Qantas 737-400 on trans-Tasman duties which arrives in the morning and departs in the evening is parked up just beyond the prop finger pier. It’s usual daytime parking spot at the gate by the end of the Qantas/International pier is currently having the apron undergo maintenance.

As is often the case with 737 flights, the first call is rather early and a call to head to the gate not a boarding call. I ignore it knowing there is at least 10 minutes to go before I have to go the few metres to the gate. Sure enough, 10 minutes later a final call is made, I head downstairs to gate security (laptop out) and yeah boarding is only two thirds complete. Load is again about 70% so plenty of room, and this time no problem putting my carry on in the overhead bin.

The flight departs on time and is soon out of the Wellington cloud. I enjoy the fine views of Marlborough from the Sounds, the Wairau and Awatere Valleys and the Inland and Seaward Kaikoura Ranges. I notice the lack of snow on the peaks – a late start to winter this year, not good for ski bunnies.

The short 737 flight has buy on board, water and boiled sweets, but no hot drinks.

We fly parallel to the coast so see Kaikoura peninsula before once again overflying low cloud over northern Canterbury. The skies clear in sight of Banks Peninsula and the city. We track further east than normal, much closer to the mouth of the braided Waimakariri River, over parts of the city with the airport to our right and below. It looks like a Virgin Blue flight is on its takeoff roll. We turn and land to the north a little behind schedule. Surprisingly we get a prop gate rather than an airbridge. As we approach the terminal I see why – far more Air NZ 737’s than I’d expect based on the airline’s schedule. Maybe there is some mechanical issue? Or a charter or freight only flight? A number of flights to the main cities were late, so I would guess an a/c went mechanical.

With arrival at a prop gate this means I have to again clear security (yes laptop out) to reach the lounge, to which I head.

CHRISTCHURCH to HAMILTON (CHC-HLZ) on NZ Q300

I have enough time to grab a drink or two and surf FT. The the flight is called, just once being a prop flight, at gate 5. Gates 5 to 8 are inside security, unlike the other prop gates, and so there is a modest queue at the gate from passengers who’ve just realised that they needed to go through security. Nonetheless, boarding is quick. I thought I had scored some extra space until the last passenger to board, who came a couple of minutes after everyone else, took the seat next to me. There was only one empty seat on the flight, next to an off duty NZ pilot.

We took off on time, and with benefit of tailwinds arrived a little early. Onboard service was very cheery – this makes quite a difference to have FAs who so obviously enjoy their job. First run through is water pottle. Then cups for tea/coffee, plus offer of the mini biscuit that has been removed from 737 flights. Then 3 runs through each of tea and coffee, plus another to hand out sweets and a couple to collect rubbish. All this by a sole FA on a full flight taking not much more than an hour!

Again great views in the South Island. Most of the north Canterbury cloud had cleared, with just a light mist against the foothills and in the valleys, giving a soft edge to the harsh landscape. Further north we had great views of Nelson to the left, with Farewell Spit clearly visible in a high but receding tide, and the Marlborough Sounds and the southern Wellington coast to our right. Then the low cloud from the middle of Cook Strait until minutes away from landing in Hamilton. We flew low over the city, turned and landed to the south.

HAMILTON to WELLINGTON (HLZ-WLG) on NZ Q300

I got the lounge access code at the check in desk and made my way in. The lounge was fullish with a couple of departures imminent. They soon left and the lounge was prompted cleaned. I notice I again missed out on a new lounge – as last week I missed the new Sydney F Qantas lounge by 6 weeks, this week I miss the new Hamilton Air NZ lounge by a month.

The lounge is basic but has some sandwiches, muffins, scones, crackers and cheese, fruit selection. A couple of nice white and red wines, a few different beers. Water, juices, soft drink and hot drinks. TV and some magazines. The day’s newspapers seem to have long been taken.

When the flight is called I stop by the book shop to pay the NZ$5 departure tax. Every seat is taken this time. We leave on time. Head winds and a long detour on approach to let several aircraft take off means we arrive 15 minutes late.

Not much view below us, although clear skies to our left gives views of Lake Taupo the mountains beyond and the Pacific Ocean in the distance. We track further east than usual to fly along the Ruahine, Tararua and Rimutaka Ranges. The Wairarapa plains bathed in sun while the bush-clad mountains disappeared into cloud. The road link to Wellington visible as a sliver of tarmac winding over the hills. Deep ravines with a floor of gravel – witness to the scarred hillsides thanks to frequent earthquakes and rain. The normal flight path is down the Hutt Valley, but due to the low cloud and aircraft taking off we stayed east passing by the two lakes and well out to sea, then turning and heading towards the peaks of the Kaikoura Ranges towering over the cloud in middle distance.

Two ships are headed for the Wellington Harbour heads – one a container ship in shadow and the other a ferry further out and thus in bright sunshine.

We pulled into a prop gate at the end of the main pier, beside the aircraft for my next flight which has already almost completed boarding.

WELLINGTON to NAPIER-HASTINGS (WLG-NPE) on NZ Q300

Since I wanted to make sure that aircraft really was my flight (after all in the several hours since my boarding pass was printed the gate could have changed), and to ensure my boarding pass is scanned, I decided against just heading over to that aircraft and instead went into the end of the pier. Whereupon I heard my name being paged as the final passenger to board my flight. WTF? They should know I have just arrived on the aircraft that is right beside the gate. How could I possibly have gotten to the departure gate any quicker?

Well so much for having a transfer long enough for a lounge visit. I head straight back out onto the apron past the rest of the passengers deplaning off the Hamilton flight.

This flight isn’t totally full, and rather than inconvenience the passenger in the aisle seat beside my allocated window seat I ask the FA if I can switch to an empty row (with added bonus of being further forward). No problem – great.

We leave slightly late but can make up time in the flight with the tailwinds. For those unfamiliar with NZ geography, my flights today have all been roughly north-south, with the first 2 heading south, then north, then south and now north again. My next two flights are south and north respectively. Yes I am flying back and forth several times over the middle third of the country today.

Before we even reach Point Jerningham we are already in the low cloud, but soon through in the sun. The low angle of the late afternoon sun casts an ever changing scene of light and shadow on the rumpled top surface of the extensive cloud layer to our left. Some may find it surprising that the hues included not only the expected whites and various shades of grey but also purple and a delicate mauve tint. Out the right hand side we see the farmed hills and valleys.

Another shortish flight so no hot drinks (nor biscuit that is handed out on the larger props with the hot drinks) but water and boiled sweet.

The first vineyards below us signal our approach to Napier. Thanks to the season there are many colours of leaves visible below.

NAPIER-HASTINGS to CHRISTCHURCH (NPE-CHC) on NZ Q300

I have enough time for a quick lounge visit, once I get the access code from check in. But first I change seats on this flight. When I originally booked I had a transfer time in Christchurch of 85 minutes, but schedule changes had cut this to a mere 20 minutes. Given all southbound flights had been arriving late today, and the short transfer time, I didn’t think it was a good idea to be sitting almost at the rear of the aircraft. With my onward flight being the last of the day, and the weird routing, I am most likely the only passenger on this flight with a connection. Yet despite having status I was allocated a seat right at the back. It doesn’t make sense to me. (For anyone wondering, the flight was not previously scheduled to run on an ATR which would make a rear seat sensible.)

The lounge is basic. No fruit. Cheese and crackers. Tea, coffee and water. Several wines and a few different beers. Juices. No magazines and the day’s newspapers are long gone.

The sun sets while I wait in the lounge.

Continued.

The lounge fills up, but mostly with passengers taking the more usual route to Auckland. The flight is called. On boarding I see why I was allocated such an odd seat - for balance reasons. There are only about a dozen (or less) passengers onboard.

With the skies now dark there is no view to speak of, just passing lights of various towns and cities below. We left Napier early and thus arrived in Christchurch slightly early even with the headwinds.

CHRISTCHURCH to AUCKLAND (CHC-AKL) on NZ 737-300

I pop into the lounge for a moment but the flight is called straight away. This flight is full, lots of passengers connecting to the late longhaul flights to Singapore, Hong Kong and Los Angeles.

I'm tired and so sleep much of the flight from takeoff until awaking as we descend over Auckland with lights sprawled out for miles around - the dark areas marking the dual harbours and many bays on both sides of the isthmus.

With a nice tailwind we arrive early.

Continuing with the increasingly badly titled mini tour of New Zealand I pause for a moment of indulgence.

After lots and lots of international travel in the past few years, my schedule for 2007 was looking like I wouldn’t be able to fit much longhaul travel in. Don’t get me wrong, I still expect to do quite a bit by non-FT standards – say 2 or 3 round the world trips plus some other trips, however this is well down on the past few years. Instead my schedule currently suits short domestic trips.

Having recently flown to the last few of the 26 domestic destinations served by a major airline in New Zealand, I decided to set myself a new goal – to fly all 50 current domestic routes. I had previously flown quite a few of them, but the network schedules will pose some challenges to fit into my time constraints (as well as booking engine constraints) – particularly the routes served only once a day. I've now flown every domestic Air NZ route.

While I will collect a modest amount of mileage thanks to sector minimums, this is not a mileage run. Fare rules in New Zealand do not permit routings other than the most direct possible, and the cheapest domestic fares on Air New Zealand are non-mileage earning (with Qantas only having 6, soon to be 5, routes almost all flights are on Air New Zealand).

The current routes are listed below, and I’ll mark them off as I go.

From/To Auckland

From/To Hamilton

From/To Wellington
  • WLG-WRE first flown 2007 (Wellington – Whangarei)
  • WLG-HLZ first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Hamilton)
  • WLG-TRG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Tauranga)
  • WLG-ROT first flown 2007 (Wellington – Rotorua)
  • WLG-TUO first flown 2007 (Wellington – Taupo)
  • WLG-GIS first flown 2007 (Wellington – Gisborne)
  • WLG-NPE first flown years ago & again in 2007 (Wellington - Napier / Hastings)
  • WLG-NPL first flown 2007 (Wellington – New Plymouth)
  • WLG-WAG first flown 2007 (Wellington – Wanganui)
  • WLG-PMR first flown 2007 (Wellington – Palmerston North)
  • WLG-BHE first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Blenheim)
  • WLG-NSN first flown years ago, and again in 2007 (Wellington - Nelson)
  • WLG-WSZ first flown 2006 (Wellington - Westport)
  • WLG-CHC first flown years ago, and again in 2006 & 2007 (Wellington - Christchurch)
  • WLG-TIU first flown 2006 (Wellington - Timaru)
  • WLG-ZQN (seasonal route) first flown years ago (Wellington - Queenstown)
  • WLG-DUD first flown 2006 (Wellington - Dunedin)

From/To Nelson

From/To Christchurch

Kiwi Flyer said:

I've now flown every domestic Air NZ route.

Congrats KF - that is quite an achievement. So thats NZ done - when will you get Asia done :)

Congratulations Kiwi Flyer :) :!:
I hope that you update the list when NZ bring more routes on line.
So what next every NZ flight number:p
Or hit the Freedom AIr (SJ) routes?

Someone should tell NZ so Kiwi Flyer can get a special mention in Kia Ora or a letter from Rob or Norm (NZ GM for Short Haul?).

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Altair said:
Congratulations Kiwi Flyer :) :!:
I hope that you update the list when NZ bring more routes on line.
So what next every NZ flight number:p
Or hit the Freedom AIr (SJ) routes?

Someone should tell NZ so Kiwi Flyer can get a special mention in Kia Ora or a letter from Rob or Norm (NZ GM for Short Haul?).

NZ has announced 3 new domestic routes for later this year, so I'm keeping an eye open. Meanwhile if I fly a route I haven't posted about here I will do so, or if something particularly unusual. Most of my domestic flights are humdrum and not reported on.

I still have a couple of international destinations to fly on NZ, and a number of NZ's international routes to fly. I'm working on those too.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Well done Kiwi Flyer, I guess it's now time to fill those gaps elsewhere, such as MGB or MHU ... :D

serfty said:
Well done Kiwi Flyer, I guess it's now time to fill those gaps elsewhere, such as MGB or MHU ... :D

I've been to both those "Mounts" by land, but not by air.

Kiwi Flyer said:
NZ has announced 3 new domestic routes for later this year

speaking of which NZ has just advised the schedules and confirmed start date (link)

looks like I can do 2 of the 3 same day, but only weekdays, and the third requires an overnight

Have you seen if you have flown every available international destination on a single flight from a NZ airport?

simongr said:
Have you seen if you have flown every available international destination on a single flight from a NZ airport?

Yes, but not necessarily on those flights. Eg from CHC & WLG I have (I think) flown to every international destination served directly from CHC on regular passenger service, but some such destinations were flown via somewhere else. From AKL I am missing 1 destination before I can make the same statement, and I fly there soon.

Drank a bottle of this and was thinking of you KiwiFlyer ;)

91d1178754496-mini-tour-of-nz-kiwiflyer.jpg

Attachments

• kiwiflyer.JPG
    kiwiflyer.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 31
Oh you have flown every route on your list but have you done all the return legs?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back