Maximum FF points per dollar spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

trader144

Hi Guys
My first post, don't know anything about FF points and am in the process of opening a new credit card. I was wondering if there is a general concensus as to which credit card offers the best return per dollar spent.
My monthly spending will probably be about 5K and I believe Visa is the most acceptable card. Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Fred

Hi Trader114.
When I posted the same question several months ago the experienced people on this forum set me straight. I had a ANZ Gold Visa and thought I was getting the best value out of it, however, it was pointed out to me that I was getting a ratio of 1:1 QF FF up to $2500, and then .5 FF after that amount, so changed cards.

Now only have two cards. The American Express Rewards Maximiser which gives 1:1.5 points per dollar spent, and for those occasions when Amex is not accepted I have the Woolworths Ezy Mastercard which gives a ratio of 1:1 and is only $39 per annun. The Amex card is free for the first year and then $144 per year after that, which is billed at $12 per month on your account. There are others that might suggest the Amex Plat card which has added benefits, but as I do not have that card I can't comment.

Maca44 said:
Hi Trader114.
When I posted the same question several months ago the experienced people on this forum set me straight. I had a ANZ Gold Visa and thought I was getting the best value out of it, however, it was pointed out to me that I was getting a ratio of 1:1 QF FF up to $2500, and then .5 FF after that amount, so changed cards.

Now only have two cards. The American Express Rewards Maximiser which gives 1:1.5 points per dollar spent, and for those occasions when Amex is not accepted I have the Woolworths Ezy Mastercard which gives a ratio of 1:1 and is only $39 per annun. The Amex card is free for the first year and then $144 per year after that, which is billed at $12 per month on your account. There are others that might suggest the Amex Plat card which has added benefits, but as I do not have that card I can't comment.

Welcome, trader144. Maca44 has given the best combination of cards available to accumulate frequent flyer points cheaply. I was in a similar situation with my ANZ Gold Card until I stumbled across the wealth of knowledge on this board. I too now have the AMEX Rewards Maximiser Card and when my ANZ Gold is up for renewal in March in next year, I'll be cancelling it and taking out the Woolies Card to use as a supp card.

Also, refer to the following thread which posters have been discussing the AMEX Platinum Credit Card which has just been released http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/discus/viewtopic.php?t=1142. The main advantages can be found in the thread.

trader144 said:
Hi Guys
My first post, don't know anything about FF points and am in the process of opening a new credit card. I was wondering if there is a general concensus as to which credit card offers the best return per dollar spent.
My monthly spending will probably be about 5K and I believe Visa is the most acceptable card. Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Fred

Woolworths Ezy MasterCard is one of the best for FF points. But Citibank cashback card is not bad with up to 4% cashback this is capped at $1500 per year.

johnsmith said:
Woolworths Ezy MasterCard is one of the best for FF points. But Citibank cashback card is not bad with up to 4% cashback this is capped at $1500 per year.

While the 4% cashback sounds good, I was under the impression when I read the full details of it, was that you were only getting a cashback when you were not paying out the balance in full each month (ie you were paying interest on your balance)

Many thanks to Maca44 GFTravel and johnsmith I have applied for a Woolworths Ezy mastercard and should have it in 10 days. I will look into Amex, the platinum card with the free domestic flight sounds attractive :p

trader144 said:
Many thanks to Maca44 GFTravel and johnsmith I have applied for a Woolworths Ezy mastercard and should have it in 10 days. I will look into Amex, the platinum card with the free domestic flight sounds attractive :p
Don't count on the 10 days bit. Many reports here of people waiting much longer and chasing multiple times to get the Woollies card. Some have even reporting cancelling the application after a month and a few weeks later the card turns up!

But do be patient. It is one of the better value FF-earning cards.

Received my woollies card on the 10th Nov exactly 10 days after application, how's that for service. Amex Platinum is taking a bit longer but.

NM said:
Don't count on the 10 days bit. Many reports here of people waiting much longer and chasing multiple times to get the Woollies card. Some have even reporting cancelling the application after a month and a few weeks later the card turns up!

When I applied recently, they sent me out a series of documents I had to take into a Commonwealth Bank or Woolworths branch, and then it was another 7 days. Total time was about three weeks. It is a bit slow, yes. But it's worth it, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back