Massive engine at SYD sitting derelict | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Massive engine at SYD sitting derelict

Status
Not open for further replies.

markis10

Veteran Member
Always wondered about the story behind the big engine sitting on the ground in the storage area near the tower, any ideas? Old gen set perhaps.

harvyk

Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Is that the same area where there is an old Ansett LDU? (One of the very few places where an Ansett logo still exists)

chocolate radiation man

Just got the LOOK from the CSM - better turn off, but it's an old back up generator diesel motor. I looked at it with interest for a while one day while parked there awaiting a flight then realised we had exactly the same motor in our electrical lay down area on site... Bye - got to fly!

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Woolworths, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

BAM1748

I guess an old back up gen set motor, either GE or EMD (Electro Motive Division of GM). They do have there somewhere a huge flywheel which as the power cuts out the flywheel spins long enough to power the airport until the genset kicks in.

I will try to remember to have a look at the next time I'm rolling by.

Matt

Last edited:

Meggsy

It is the old gen set engine that was housed in the old control tower/fire station complex that sat on the edge of taxiway C adjacent to the domestic apron. It was moved over there when they bulldozed the old buildings. It was used to provide back up runway/taxiway lighting power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowey71