Marriott - buy points with a 50% bonus offer | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Marriott - buy points with a 50% bonus offer

Bell21

This is an 'off the cuff' question, but I wondered if people feel this offer is so good it's worth buying points speculatively, even without a redemption in mind?

I've bought Marriott points in the past, but usually with specific redemptions in mind. Given the travel impact of Covid-19, I don't have any immediate travel plans, but hope to travel April next year.

One of the reasons for asking is that prior to a number of Marriott devaluations, it would probably be a 'no-brainer', but with a) the move to peak/off-peak awards, b) change in hotel categories, and c) changes to their 'book ahead' policy without points in your account, I wondered whether the program is compelling enough to buy points under this fantastic offer.

My guess, without doing any analysis, is probably yes.

LadyC

Established Member
I would consider what hotels you are interested in and what time of year, then test whether cash or points is better. Factor in that you may not be able to use them for 12 months. It's a mixed bag.

For me, paying cash is usually cheaper than buying points. But others on this forum have found the opposite. All depends upon the hotel.

Bell21

Thanks - that's normally exactly what I'd do - I purchased a decent chunk of points pre-XMAS last year at 30% bonus b/c we were staying at the Marriott in Khao Lak at XMAS and it was one of those situations where the points purchase was cheaper than cash. However, I don't have any set plans now, so i need to work through whether to speculatively buy some points --- I probably will as I doubt this offer will repeated anytime soon!

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I'm going to buy some more points for a rainy day. This will mean I have around 500,000 points in the 'bank'.

As I see it the main risk is Marriott going bankrupt. And from my, brief, research, this looks unlikely at present.

Bell21

Thanks - that makes sense to me, esp since if we did hear any rumblings of issues at Marriott, you always have the option of airline transfer albeit at relatively low value.

LadyC

Established Member
I still haven't decided yet. I'm more worried there will be a significant increase on points required for redemptions making using the points effectively a lot harder.

Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Just FYI, Executive Traveller article:

"Here's why you shouldn't buy hotel loyalty points right now
Many hotel chains are offering compelling deals on buying points, but this is perhaps the worst time to take them up on that offer"

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Just FYI, Executive Traveller article:

"Here's why you shouldn't buy hotel loyalty points right now
Many hotel chains are offering compelling deals on buying points, but this is perhaps the worst time to take them up on that offer"

I think that this is the only valid reason that I would be concerned about:

The number of points you need can change

Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
Yes, it happened to me and I had a painful and time consuming discussion about almost doubling the amount of points required. Eventually they gave me the room for the lower point amount.

Now, I’m going to try to get that same booking delayed until next year on still hopefully much lower points that are required now. Should have that sorted out in the next week also. If they just refuse and give me the points back they won’t be worth much.

I think that this is the only valid reason that I would be concerned about:

The number of points you need can change

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdamBart