Lounge at Hamad International Airport in DOHA? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Lounge at Hamad International Airport in DOHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbetox

Flights
My Map
Just got an email from Qatar showcasing their new airport in Doha Hamad International Airport | Qatar Airways

Somewhere between the lines, this is mentioned:

During this transition, some of the airport lounges are temporarily unavailable. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused and would like to extend to you our unreserved apologies. If you are affected by this situation, please contact the Qatar Airways check in staff at your point of embarkation or the premium customer service desks at Hamad International Airport in DOHA for alternative arrangements. Thank you for your understanding and we hope to welcome you back soon in order to experience the fullest range of our services and memorable Qatar Airways hospitality.

As a WP arriving tomorrow, will I have access to a lounge? What would the "alternative arrangements" be?

markis10

Veteran Member
Always fun flying into a new airport just after it opens, I hope you don't have checked luggage.

Luggage, new airports, I was on the third plane into LHR Terminal 5 after it opened, lost my bags, they finally arrived on my doorstep 6 weeks later.

Fortunately I was on my way to India, so I didn't need anything in my bags (was in USA for biz trip), bought a few tee shirts and shorts/pants upon arrival into Bombay and I was good to go for three weeks.

Cheers
BF

scwappy

AFF Supporter
Just got an email from Qatar showcasing their new airport in Doha Hamad International Airport | Qatar Airways

Somewhere between the lines, this is mentioned:

During this transition, some of the airport lounges are temporarily unavailable. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused and would like to extend to you our unreserved apologies. If you are affected by this situation, please contact the Qatar Airways check in staff at your point of embarkation or the premium customer service desks at Hamad International Airport in DOHA for alternative arrangements. Thank you for your understanding and we hope to welcome you back soon in order to experience the fullest range of our services and memorable Qatar Airways hospitality.

As a WP arriving tomorrow, will I have access to a lounge? What would the "alternative arrangements" be?
Please let us know what the interim arrangements are.

Danger

AFF Supporter
Reports on FlyerTalk and CNN Business Traveler are the lounges won't be open for "another two months" beyond the opening today. Apparently there will be temporary lounges but I haven't seen any details on what they willl be. I have two visits to DOH in July.

gbetox

Flights
My Map
So, epic fail at the new airport. My bags have been misplaced, and are nowhere to be found. Apparently, another 8,000 (!!!!) bags are in the same situation, according to the person on their call center. They cannot even locate the bags on their tracking system, but they say the bags are definitely at the new airport.

Qatar, never again!

Regrading lounges, they have the business class and the first class lounge. First class lounge is totally crap. As is the airline. Overcrowded, no decent food, and you have to sit down and wait (a lot) for a waiter to come and get your order (you cannot even get a glass of juice by yourself). Bring your QFF card. Apparently they don't know how to read a BP.

photo 1 - Copy.jpgphoto 2 - Copy.jpgphoto 3 - Copy.jpg

gbetox

Flights
My Map
On my way back, I could enjoy the lounge with more time... You can sit down and order from the menu. I had lamb rack and raspberry cake. Nice, but not outstanding.

photo 5.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 4.jpg

markis10

Veteran Member
Always fun flying into a new airport just after it opens, I hope you don't have checked luggage.
So, epic fail at the new airport. My bags have been misplaced, and are nowhere to be found. Apparently, another 8,000 (!!!!) bags are in the same situation, according to the person on their call center. They cannot even locate the bags on their tracking system, but they say the bags are definitely at the new airport.

Sorry to hear that, pretty much every airport move sees passengers bags go AWOL in the first week or so, you would think they would have worked it out by now.

MelUser

Established Member
Never good to visit a new airport within the first couple of months. I am DOHA transferring in December.

Albert_Thurgood

Their old lounge was pretty good, which makes it all the more mystifying why they would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the new terminal and have such a substandard first class lounge.I am sitting in it now. It would be 10% of the size of Melbourne's domestic Qantas Club BC lounge. There is a choice of 8 self-serve food items (salads etc).There are no self-serve beverages.There is NO alcohol available. Full stop.There are large queues for the toilets – only 2 urinals, one of which is "boy sized". There are two hand basins. If someone decides its time to clean his teeth (as they do!), you have to queue to wash your hands.Not coincidentally, this is the last time I intend to fly QR.I advise others to avoid QR too.

zainman

AFF Supporter
Their old lounge was pretty good, which makes it all the more mystifying why they would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the new terminal and have such a substandard first class lounge.I am sitting in it now. It would be 10% of the size of Melbourne's domestic Qantas Club BC lounge. There is a choice of 8 self-serve food items (salads etc).There are no self-serve beverages.There is NO alcohol available. Full stop.There are large queues for the toilets – only 2 urinals, one of which is "boy sized". There are two hand basins. If someone decides its time to clean his teeth (as they do!), you have to queue to wash your hands.Not coincidentally, this is the last time I intend to fly QR.I advise others to avoid QR too.
I think you're probably sitting in a "temporary" lounge.

robw0910

Intern
No alcohol most likely because it is Ramadan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9