Lord Howe Island Closure | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Lord Howe Island Closure

Beny

We have a package booking to Lord Howe Island in May 2020. LHI has closed and we can’t get there due to COVID 19. Our travel agent has advised that our accommodation provider will allow us to rebook at a later date but we will be charged a cancellation fee for our booking that we can’t use of one nights accommodation.
Our other option is to not rebook and lose all our money. Our travel insurance will not cover it even though it was booked last year.
i think it is unfair to charge a cancellation fee when we have not cancelled. Any ideas?

Reactions: DC3

goldenhorn

We have a package booking to Lord Howe Island in May 2020. LHI has closed and we can’t get there due to COVID 19. Our travel agent has advised that our accommodation provider will allow us to rebook at a later date but we will be charged a cancellation fee for our booking that we can’t use of one nights accommodation.
Our other option is to not rebook and lose all our money. Our travel insurance will not cover it even though it was booked last year.
i think it is unfair to charge a cancellation fee when we have not cancelled. Any ideas?
If you've already been charged, could you process a chargeback? Or, cancel the card if not already been charged?

Last edited by a moderator:

Beny

Too late . The final payment was 60 days ago. I don’t think I can get a chargeback now.

kpc

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
The accommodation providers at LHI are scam artists....if you don't arrive eg flight cancellations say due to bad weather, they won't refund your accomdation expecting you to claim on travel insurance....and if you can't leave due to flight cancellations, they will charge you the full RACK rate for the room again expecting you to claim on travel insurance ..

Last edited:

drron

Enthusiast
Too late . The final payment was 60 days ago. I don’t think I can get a chargeback now.
You certainly can still do a chargeback.At least with Amex.I got one successfully 6 months after paying LAN when they wouldn't refund a refundable fare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beny

Thanks all for your help. As they are denying us access we are not cancelling therefore I don’t understand how they can charge a cancellation fee. I am looking at consumer laws. I just wonder how many others are in the same boat. I was told some accommodation providers are giving no refund or rebooking. It is disgusting in the circumstances.

support

Established Member
Administrator
@Moderator, the OP wishes to change the user name.
You can only tag an actual member name. As there are no moderators with the member name ‘Moderator’ your tag would not have been spotted. Your report was seen.

The member needs to email me at support@australianfrequentflyer.com.au with some ideas for what they would like their name changed to.

Maui

Beny, we have had our Lord Howe holiday cancelled due to the coronavirus however our accommodation will not refund or rebook and travel insurance says no. Maybe you should tell us where you booked as we wont be using our original accommodation supplier if we do go in the future.

• Wow
Reactions: DC3

DC3

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Robyn was their user name and has been changed - not ideal to put your email address out on a public forum
Thanks. Maybe just use their home address or phone number instead. 😊

Happy Dude

Established Member
Beny, we have had our Lord Howe holiday cancelled due to the coronavirus however our accommodation will not refund or rebook and travel insurance says no. Maybe you should tell us where you booked as we wont be using our original accommodation supplier if we do go in the future.
This is appalling. Be sure to name and shame as far and wide as possible.

After reading this thread, I'm inclined to take Lord Howe off my "to visit" list.

Maui

Were you successful in rebooking?

Beny

Yes we have to pay one night cancellation fee but it is better than losing the whole booking.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deann7