Lonely Planet author is on Temptation quiz show!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tiki, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    #1 Tiki, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2007
    I was channel surfing and about to pass this one when they introduced Richard Plunkett as one of the contestants! He wrote or co-wrote Dubai, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Bangladesh and a bunch of other guides. He's in the lead right now-go Richard!!!

2. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    Update, he won a fancy schmancy bracelet worth $11,000. It was pretty but you could do better for $20 in Goa. He traded it in for the right to play again and if he wins tomorrow, he gets a dining room set worth $14,000. Where do they get this stuff?

3. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    I resist the Temptation to respond! :mrgreen:

4. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 Mal, May 14, 2007
    Last edited: May 14, 2007
    More interesting, is who on earth sees the $11K bracelet or $14K dining set and goes "Hey. I need one of those!" - I understand it for the Audi or BMW or whatever they have as the main prizes, but all they do is "flash" the table or bracelet etc with barely enough time to actually work out what it is or is worth.

5. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    The few times I have watched that show, no one ever takes the over-inflated prizes for the first few days, and most people get defeated before they get to the trip/car/jackpot stage.

6. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Friend played and one $9000, that was about it.
    E

7. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I am guessing he wouldnt have taken the holiday prize ;)

8. Tiki

Tiki Member

Jul 21, 2004
    BNE
    He was defeated on the 4th night so all he got was whatever small prizes he accumulated.

I don't usually watch Temptation but I do watch a Current Affair which precedes it and I overheard "Lonely Planet author" so I stuck around. I've been using LP guides for over 20 years to travel the world, wouldn't leave home without one!

9. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I have the short guides for all the locations I travel to - very useful