London to Sdyney - Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison

Newbie
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
2
Points
0
Hello all,

I'm going on holiday next week (just me, going to see family):

Manchester - London Heathrow
Heathrow - Sydney

14 days later

Sdyney - Auckland

9 days later

Auckland - Sydney
Sydney - London
London - Manchester

Seen as I'm alone, all the flights are with Qantas, kids are still in school and I fly during the week, what do you think are the chances of being upgraded from Discount Economy on one of those flights?

When's the best time and place to ask nicely if there are any free upgrades going?

Thanks for your help!
 

dragonman

Active Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
522
Points
230
Harrison said:
When's the best time and place to ask nicely if there are any free upgrades going?

I would think the chances of a free upgrade are very remote. Do you have any status (gold, platinum)? Whether you do will go some way to determining your chance of an upgrade by points or otherwise.

If I were you I would be lodging an upgrade request by points on the QF site very soon.
 

Harrison

Newbie
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
2
Points
0
dragonman said:
If I were you I would be lodging an upgrade request by points on the QF site very soon.

Because of the sheer cost of flying to Australia from England I only go every few years so I've only recently signed up to the FF club. Apparently I get about 23800 points, but that's not enough to get upgrades via points.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Harrison said:
Seen as I'm alone, all the flights are with Qantas, kids are still in school and I fly during the week, what do you think are the chances of being upgraded from Discount Economy on one of those flights?
Don't hold your breath waiting for a free upgrade. If you search this forum you will find that free upgrades are very very very rare.

Harrison said:
When's the best time and place to ask nicely if there are any free upgrades going?
QF only really give out free upgrades if there is a reason. QF would rather have the pointy of the aircraft empty than give out free upgrades just because some one asks nicely.

Just be polite, dress nicely, be in the right at the place and you never know....
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,953
Points
855
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
JohnK said:
Just be polite, dress nicely, be in the right at the place and you never know....

.... and someone with Platinum or Gold status will get the upgrade. Sorry to sound negative however I'm being realistic. :shock:
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,185
Points
0
straitman said:
.... and someone with Platinum or Gold status will get the upgrade. Sorry to sound negative however I'm being realistic. :shock:

And so they should ! meaning if an upgrade must be given for operational reasons you really should reward your most loyal customers, no different from my local fish and chips shop throwing in a few extra chips at no cost for a regular customer.

Having said all that you never know your luck.

I got upgraded recently from the front row of economy, a couple down the back had a baby, i had a bassinet seat so the CSM asked if it would not be too in-conventient for me to move up into WT+ (Year right, as if anybody would turn that down)

Side note about that flight - I had tried for a J upgrade at the lounge but J was over sold by 9 people, 6 of who were bumber up to F, 2 bumped down to WT+ (assume a refund) and 1 no show.
(You may wonder how i know but i had a 4hr stop over to chat up the nice young lady in the BA lounge in LHR.

E
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
Evan said:
And so they should ! meaning if an upgrade must be given for operational reasons you really should reward your most loyal customers, no different from my local fish and chips shop throwing in a few extra chips at no cost for a regular customer.

Having said all that you never know your luck.
Totally agree that the most frequent flyers should receive upgrades if any are offered.

I was just trying to highlight how rare upgrades can be and one should not be booking a seat on any flight and have any expectation what so ever, even the remotest, that they are going to receive an upgrade. Pay for economy then expect to travel in economy!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Nothing to add to the good answers above, other than welcome to AFF Harrison :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top