list of IATA airport & airline codes plus humorous acron | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

list of IATA airport & airline codes plus humorous acron

Status
Not open for further replies.

rormad

I was trying to find a decent list of all the IATA codes (LHR, SYD, BKK etc) when I came across this website. I've not seen this list before - I'm sure some of you old hands are familiar with it but for some of those with smaller wings who may not understand some of the jargon involving airlines and cities it may come in handy.

http://geo.ya.com/travelimages/airports-airlines.html

Don't forget to click on the acronyms - some good ones there - my favourite is: PIA (Pakistan airlines) "Please Inform Allah"

Have fun. :wink:

arun

Air Lanka (predecessor to SriLankan Airlines) - AL - Always Late.

icemann

SABENA - such a bloody experience, never again :)

I only ever had one flight on them, then they folded...so I can't really comment because my opinion is based on one flight :)

rormad

Here's one from way back: TAA - Try Another Airline. I'm sure there were plenty around for Ansett but none come to mind.

HardieBoys

The link isn't loading for me: I get an error message in Spanish. Will try later.

Other acronyms:

LUFTHANSA : Let Us **** The Hostess As No Steward Available
ALITALIA: Airplane Landed In Tokyo, All Luggage In Amsterdam
IA (Indian Airways): Inform Allah
AI (Air India): Already Informed
EL AL: Every Landing Always Late

thadocta

QANTAS

Queers
And
Nymphomaniacs
Training
As
Stewards

A GROSS exaggeration, of course.

Dave

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
OK on theme above a friend of mine (who works in long haul for QF) once told me this one:
Queens
And
Nancies
Trolley
Assisted
Services

(yes I know not particularly PC, but hey - the person who told me this fits the QAN bit perfectly & proudly).

sully

This sounds like a challenge to add new ones. My attempt is Malev- Magyars Attempting Lateral Elevation Valiantly.

sully

Lufthansa- Look under frauleins' trousers, have a nasty sensory attack.

sully

Aeroflot- Ah, even Russians on freebies like other transportation.

rormad

Sully, you're on fire! Loved Aeroflot.
I recall another from my youth.

BOAC = Bommy Old Air Craft

(reminds me of the old Holden vs Ford debate at school: what does Ford stand for? Found On Rubbish Dump)

Rossmurdoch

Another version of BOAC - Better On A Camel

also 2 for Qanatas was told many years ago

-Quite a nice trip and service
-Queer and nasty too as suspected

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TerenceM